Flagler College, Good Surf Schools

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by rideacarr, Jan 27, 2014.

1. rideacarr

rideacarr Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    *sorry for a repost if this thread has already been posted, I searched, but found nothing*

So, I am applying for colleges now for the fall semester. I did relatively well on my SATs and did decent at my first semester at community college. I am in my second semester at community college, but going crazy living back at home with my parents and need to get out of Jersey. Trying to change things up a bit.

I am wondering if any of you guys are familiar with Flagler College. I am pretty much set on going there. I visited and it seemed like an awesome time. I do not know anyone there though and would like to know some more about it. If any of you guys went to Flagler College and can let me in on some knowledge I should know before committing, let me know!

Also, I am trying to stay on the East Coast, anyone know anywhere else? I know Monmouth (live fifteen minutes away), UNC Wilmington, but that is pretty much it. Thanks guys.

2. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I didn't go to Flagler, but I do spend lots of time in St. Augustine. You're talking about that school right?

3. Surfin_nj

Surfin_nj Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2014
    University of Delaware has a two year program on a campus in leers for marine biology and there's coastal Carolina in sc, there's a good school on Virginia beach I forget what it's called but it's good for marine biology too. There's also university of Miami which Idt has very consistent swell. I'm also looking into east coast colleges so I can surf I like uncw

4. vilanosurfer218

vilanosurfer218 Member

Jul 8, 2012
    For Florida, Flagler or UNF(in Jax) are two of your best options as far as consistency and being within 10-15 minutes from the surf. N Fl is relatively exposed and gets fairly consistent swells during the Fall/Winter/Spring seasons. Summer can be pretty bad but hurricanes are the exception there. St Augustine beach near the pier and the state park north of there can be really good when it gets dredged every few years.

5. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    c of c. Surf is not that consistent but gets pretty fun....but the women...oh my

6. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I went to Flagler. Had a great time, St. Augustine is a great place to be. School was good, upon graduating I realized I wasn't that into my major.(Business Admin) Flagler is considered a Liberal arts school, so they don't offer a ton in the way of major diversity. Don't stuck in a major you may not use because you like the area so much, thats what I did.

If I had to do it over again, I probably would have stopped going to the dunes cracker, the gator, hatties and focused on my future and utilized the schools resources rather than being wasted every night.

The school is small, the locals are cool, its easy to meet people.

Move onto the island after your freshman year, waves arent the best, but you can ride a bike everywhere and the beaches are giant and spread out.

Overall, I'd say give it a shot, dont get caught up in the awesomeness of the town, it will suck you in. Good luck

oh and kids from new jersey make up about 90% of the undergrads

7. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Ya the St. Augustine area is pretty chill scene! They do get decent waves there from time to time. Though an hour south is NSB and that's the most consistent spot on the east coast!

Not sure what you're aiming for but Embry Riddle is in Daytona and there's also UCF in Orlando. Cocoa and NSB aren't far from UCF, probably 45min.

There's also that orange and blue Gator school up there in Gainsville however its quite far from the beach.

Miami is another option thought the waves aren't too great down there.

Oh yeah.... almost forgot.... Stetson University is a killer school right here in good ol' Deland, Florida!!! Only
    25min from NSB and Daytona. Stetson is a very good school.

If I had to choose I would say Stetson or Flagler.

8. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    There are no four year colleges with marine biology in Virginia Beach. There is Old Dominion University in Norfolk, but it is more known for Oceanography.

9. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Stockton College. They have a great marine bio program. Do what I did. Get a winter rental near the beach the college is only 15 min away....you can surf your brains out.

10. Thunderpossum

Thunderpossum Well-Known Member

May 17, 2013
    I'd have to second Old Dirty in Norfolk. Went there for grad school. It's big (22,000+ students), in a decent sized metropolitan area (1.7 million people) so there's plenty to do, and 20 minutes from Virginia Beach and a little over an hour from the outer banks. I moved up from Wilmington NC, and liked it enough that I never left...

11. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    If you want to study sci,tech, engineering, or aviation try florida tech, but there arent a lot of chics there.

but its 10 min from beach

12. rideacarr

Nov 21, 2010
    thanks for all the responses gents! I really don't know what I want to do. I recently got out of the Marine Corps, so I am a bit clueless on what I want to be as a civilian. I am set on Business Management now, but realistically I still have no idea.

Right now my two biggest concerns are catching waves and catching girls haha. I dated a girl my time in the Marines, so I am stoked to go to a college single. I heard the girls at Flagler are insane.

13. rideacarr

Nov 21, 2010
    You described this place awesomely. I am completely excited about it now haha. I am flying down in March, I am assuming those places are solid bars to hit up in downtown? I can't wait to check it out!

14. AggroNE

AggroNE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Or you can sack up, get a 6/5, and try one of the 100 schools in coastal New England or Long Island. URI, UNH, and U of New England all have some oceanic related majors. There are literally 25 colleges with 35 miles of Boston.

Belmar Tech has advanced degrees in artificial reef manufacturing. Only program like it in the world.

15. dcsurfer

dcsurfer Member

Sep 20, 2011
    i also applied to colleges for the fall, and ive been accepted to URI and Florida Tech for ocean engineering. i am wondering what campus life was like and how much did you get to surf (for either school)? Thanks

16. sailquik

sailquik Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Also look at Jacksonville University. JU is not on the beach, but a very short drive if you have a car.

17. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I don't know that J-ville has anything on St Auggie but....
    I go to UNF and highly recommend it academically and for surf. The staff's CVs in my program (history) boasts some of the top institutions in the country ...which is kind of surprising for such a small school. While we lack a D1 size party atmosphere we do have a couple of local surf companies and our surf team that throw the occasional rager. More importantly we do have a tight community... the kind that can help your prospects after school ends. Surf.. there's some...likely more often than you think but never gnar like OBX or Jersey. From UNF maybe 8 miles to Jax beach x 2 to Poles.

If you're going to school on the GI bill... why not head out West?

18. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Monmouth University. Jerz barrells and they have a dorm that's basically a beach resort.

Are you just contemplating east coast? Because there's a whole other world and toms of good, big and small schools right on the Pac.

19. rideacarr

Nov 21, 2010
    West Coast is an awesome time, the only reason I do not want to go West is because I have spent plenty of time out there. Personally, I really do not like California. i would like to visit to oregon/washington though. couldn't live out there, way of life is so different.

for anyone who went to Flagler, what type of work is there? I work on a party fishing boat as a deckhand. I did some research and not many fishing boats pop up out of St Augustine.

20. pcsurfer2

pcsurfer2 Active Member

May 15, 2013
    I know its not the east coast, but Florida State has a Panama City campus (its right on the bay), the surf gets good during the winter with the cold fronts and anytime there is a hurricane in the gulf you are going to get waves. There are plenty of good looking girls especially during spring break and summer. There are some good bars, also plenty of tourist stuff, but it wont take long to figure out where to go. You could find a job as a deckhand on a fishing boat. It's worth looking into.