"You'll be home for dinner"

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Guod, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    This was originally a reply to wrr3rd's "Noticing others" comment on the "to surf alone or not" thread, but as you can see I went on a tangent so I made a new thread.

No doubt dude. If you're so self centered that your not looking out for other peoples safety, even if they are a block or more away your a douche nugget supreme.

A couple of years ago I paddled through a line up of 20ish said douche nuggets to save multiple people from drowning. Their blood curdling screams were heard by all and acknowledged by few. By yelling at these useless turd surfers as I zig zagged through them on my way to these victims, I was able to summon one other MANS help. These jerks couldn't even clear a path for me, let alone pause their worthless conversations. Appalling. I continued 4 blocks to reach the victims and beat the life guards to the seen (the guards had a stand right there btw).

It was a long period ground swell so huge rips would start up as sets poured in, catching unweary people off guard.

I was first on the scene and provided floatation for three people while I treaded water. They were totally gassed and going down when I arrived. I actually had to grab a sinker and an about to be sinker and place them on my 6'1"x18"x2" potato chip. The MAN on the long board showed up next and let 2 victims float with him. Then 2 "life gaurds" showed up, one with a can attached to a rope, the other just a can. I sent one victim in with the longboarder, the other with the roped can and the guard that came with it. That left me with a 200+ pound dude and a scrawny, exhausted life guard.

The "life guard" was trying to convince me to wait for another guard to show up with a roped can, that wouldn't have reached anyway, as we drifted out to sea. He couldn't swim himself in at this point, let alone drag the chubby guy in. They were both clearly terrified and I was starting to think Coast Guard chopper or get eaten, which ever comes first.

The wind was offshore, the tide was going out, and this rip was mega. I have never been that far off the beach on a surfboard in NJ. The water was warm and there were a lot of pelagic fish around.

Suddenly a huge school of Bonita got pushed to the surface from directly beneath us. We were widely surrounded by them and I knew damn well what pushed them to the surface in 30-40 feet of water. I didn't even know they were there the moment before. The two dudes were already afraid they were going to die and this added sheer terror to the mix. My visible reaction and "oh sh!t" statement didn't help. This is when I became concerned for my own safety as well as theirs.

I told them both to grab my left ankle and I was going to tow them in (my right knee is reconstructed so that leg wasn't optional). I emphasized that every move we made from this point on was going to be casual, no exceptions. I also explained that we were not taking a direct route, it would take a while, we would have to take short breaks along the way, and patience is virtue. They agreed without question. I paddled at a decent, smooth pace, and at times one or both of them would lose their grip. When they'd slip off, they would look at me with their teary eyes and say things like "please don't leave me" and "please help, I won't make it". Heavy. I had to explain multiple times that I wasn't leaving anyone and "you'll be home for dinner".

As we approached the inside breaking waves, (I didn't bring them in during a set intentionally) I told them "let the waves push you in the rest of the way". The water was chest deep at this point. As all three of us made it to our feet a life guard with a roped can came running toward us. What a f*cking joke. We all ignored him. This all went down in the coarse of 20 minutes.

The water line was packed with on-lookers and I received a standing ovation. The life guard captain shook my hand and thanked me along with the people I saved. I didn't say much, put my head down, and walked back to where I originally came from; receiving many thanks, praise, and pats on the back along the way.

I didn't do this for any type of praise whatsoever, I did it because I knew I could help, and if I didn't my conscience would never forgive me. They were literally in the process of dying. That would have sucked for a lot of people besides me and I was glad I could help.

This would have been front page news if Seaside Park didn't sweep it under the carpet to protect their reputation. They rather facilitate the facade of safety then actually provide it. It's cheaper that way and doesn't scare away tourist dollars. It reminds me of all the dangerous debris still in the ocean from Sandy, they have people thinking it's all cleaned up. It's not!!! The only people they're helping is themselves with that bull sh!t. I pulled a gnarly piece of roller coaster track out of the shore break two weeks ago. I have regularly pulled dangerous debris out of the wash since Sandy, for that matter.

Anyway, if you plan on helping someone like that, be calculated, know your limits, and don't get in over your head. There is a fine line between preventing a tragedy and becoming part of one.

2. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Doug,
    Freakin' awesome! Good Karma for the next three or so life cycles. I said early on that I like to surf alone, prefer it, but funny thing is if I see somebody out by themselves, I always watch for them. My wife and I once walked up and down the beach to keep an eye on a guy that was surfing way past dusk, because we knew no one else knew he was out.

3. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    good story doug, Id have verbally bashed the life guards for being weak/useless, but then again, I can never resist an opportunity for verbal jabs

4. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    You're a good man Doug. If I'm ever given the opportunity and you're willing, I'll buy the beverages.

Nowhere near that epic but I saved a friend from drowning. Total panic mode, eyes like saucers...I had to swim around behind him, grabbed him with an underhook, and screamed at him "STOP PANICKING I"VE GOT YOU" until he calmed down and I could swim him in. F'ing intense, can't imagine having to do that with multiple people and under those conditions.

Great story. Should put a sign at Seaside, "Doug would go".

5. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Doug, great story and good on you. Thanks for taking the time to share it. Sad testimony on the "me people" that could not be bothered to help someone truly in need. Your MO is worthy of emulation by all who are capable. Blessings.

6. sailquik

sailquik Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Great story and good job, Doug. You seem like a standup guy.

I have a story from a couple of months ago where I was on a longboard and pulled out a teenager that was struggling in a riptide. The interesting part is that I was on that beach by coincidence, it was very windy, the waves were blown out and I just wanted to get wet after a few days of no surf. The first beach I stopped at was even worse, so I ended up in the right place at the right time to save the kid.

The downside is that two people drowned later that day at the first beach.

I don't want to get all "Wayne" here, but I think divine providence may have gotten me to beach #2, where I could be of help, instead of beach #1, where it may have been beyond my ability to rescue two people on just one board, and I could have gotten into trouble myself.

7. BassMon

BassMon Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    That's good stuff and heavy as hell. I always watch for others, but never got into a situation like that. Although that's a great story I also find it sad/embarrassing. As surfers we all know just how dangerous and life threatening the ocean can be. The fact that one only guy helped is sickening. I mean you were able to get the job done which is great but what if you couldn't. No offense. We don't got to like each other, but as surfers I think it's important to look out for each other. If anyone of us get into trouble out there chances are, especially in the cold winter months, the only people who will/can help are other surfers

8. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    You are a good man Doug and a hero.

9. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Dougie, you've always been aces on my list, as you know, but this one puts you in the SI Forum HOF. Untouchable, my man, and unimpeachable.

Bow down before a great thread, you poseur trolls.

Surf's up, and if you have any decent karma remaining whatsoever, then Doug's out there where you are.

10. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    Don't forget ... he also man-snatched that huge Drum. Looks like someone belongs in the 'waterman' thread.

I bet he would save PJB a hundred times over too. I could just see them now... two men, one board.

11. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Helluva a thread Doug, what a bunch of a$$holes some of them people must of been for doing nothing, and the lazy and slow inexperienced "life guards", I mean, what more can you say about those guys? Anyways, glad there are still decent people out there that are willing to do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do. I've never been put in that situation, but I'd like to think i'd do whatever I could do to help. I'm capable of swimming back to shore without a board from pretty far out and know how to pace myself and use the waves to my advantage and take bombs on the head and keep on going. But trying to get panicking sinkers and soon to be sinkers through that sounds nearly impossible, so good work pulling that off. Hats off to ya fella

12. Special Whale Glue

Oct 8, 2011
    Sick! Thank you for the kind replies and reading my long story. I don't know about waterman Slash, I don't plan on paddling from one Hawaiian island to another anytime soon or riding giant surf like these cats do nowadays. I was just there and did what I thought was right, what was necessary. The part that messed with my head most was being almost the furthest surfer from the victims and the only one to react. I still can't figure that one out and get a headache trying.

13. viajerodevida

viajerodevida Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Helping people who can't help themselves should be basic human etiquette. Way to practice what you preach, Doug. You'd be welcome at my local any day.

14. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Hey doug...if we had a "thread of the year" this would be it for me. Incredible story...BTW, what beach this occur at?

15. Special Whale Glue

Oct 8, 2011
    J st. ish and I speed paddled from C st., Seaside Park NJ.

Thanks again for the positive vibes.

16. 34thStreetSurfing

34thStreetSurfing Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Damn Doug. Good on you!

Great read! It must've been tough to stay calm seeing those fish go crazy.

17. DaveyB

DaveyB Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2008
    well said!

18. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    That was fantastic. You're a good man, Doug.

19. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Good work, Doug.

It's reassuring to know there are still people that dont shy away in critical moments.

20. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    same story but different angel

same thing happened to me in ocmd - only dif was there WERE TWO LIFEGUARDS on the stand who saw not the vics OR the rescue. my story is only different here:

I TORE THOSE TWO MUTT-FALCON LIFEGUARDS A NEW ONE (i'm an ex-shook lg). i was quite
    nervous about what happened until i uncorked on them then i felt better.