SwellInfo Crew Fantasy Surfer 2014!

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Erock, Feb 6, 2014.

1. unnecessary duckdive

unnecessary duckdive Active Member

Jul 27, 2012
  2. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    fantasy surfer

i'm in. never done it before; njsurfer42 any help appreciated. my screen name is
    punker sprinkles and my top guys are jjf + young + medina. to celebrate maybe a house party
    at my trailer.

3. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011

Another Piece of Pertinent Info

-It's probably not a good idea to pick your team at this time since none of the wildcards and alternates for the event have been picked.

-As the season progresses the surfers who do well accrue value and the surfers who do badly drop in value, but you do not get the extra $$ if you trade in a surfer from your team who has accrued value--you only get back what you paid for them.

-The REVERT button is your friend if you accidentally make a stupid decision.

4. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Prize Pack Idea

OK, so I'm trying to figure out the logistics of doing this prize pack thing.

-The money will have to be held with a trustworthy third party and/or in a paypal account. We need to figure out how to handle it so everyone receives an accounting for the total and everyone trusts/feels comfortable with it. I guess the easy way would be through my wife's paypal (We are a one paypal account household), and you all will have to trust me not to drain the account and expatriate to Bali. I haven't discussed it with my closest friend (who is a lawyer) about holding the funds in his trust account, but I imagine that would be the most secure way to handle it--I can then email the monthly accounting sheet to all participants

-I want to end the opt-in period after the THIRD event at Bells. That way no one can suddenly "opt-in" in the unlikely event they have run away with the lead later in the season.

-Now relating to the actual prize: I think as soon as the opt-in period has ended all the funds collected should be immediately used to buy whatever it is we agree the prize should be. It could be just as simple as a Visa gift card or something like that, but I think an actual prize pack would be cool. I'd like to keep it somewhat SwellInfo related, so I think we should at least have a DOH and Good T-shirt thrown in there.

Anyway, just trying to hash this out. Any input and ideas will be greatly appreciated. The most important thing is all of us who plan on running for the prize have input and agree on all the details.

5. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    this is really the best advice. i don't think anyone should take my win last season as anything more than dumb luck; i really didn't do anything more than pick surfers who i thought would do well at the given location. sometimes that worked, sometimes it didn't (bali & bruce irons, i'm looking at you). many times that left me w/ a 6 or 7 man team & an alternate. not a good strategy, but it sometimes pays to be lucky rather than good.

6. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    i like the idea of setting a closing date to opt into the prize pack. you can choose to still play, but not win the club prize at the end of the season. using a third-party paypal is probably the best way to keep it neutral, given that none of us really know each other.

7. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011

Exactly. I want to go with whatever everyone thinks is the most trustworthy method--especially to hopefully maximize participation and maximize the awesomeness of the prize.

I've never tried it, but I suppose we could start a PayPal account that will allow at least 3 of us to be administrators of it to increase the accountability. I'll look into it.

I've already asked Micah if we could do it through the SwellInfo Store, but he (understandably) doesn't want to be responsible for the money.

8. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I trust you Erock... I'm fairly confident you won't run away with the loot (would actually be kid of funny if you did).
    Whatever is easiest for you is how you should set it up.

9. xJohnnyUtahX

xJohnnyUtahX Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    This is a third party website I personally know works, I'm guessing it would bring entry fee up to around 10 bucks after they get their percentage. But we don't need it for a $5 entry
    www.leaguesafe.com

I'm all for using paypal though. The prize pool would be 400 if there's 80 heads and you know not everyone is going to opt in. If the custodian ran off with the money they wouldn't get very far and 5 bucks isn't breaking anyone anyway. I vote Erock, actually I vote for anyone who doesn't post videos of themselves attacking rubber men, that guy can't be trusted!

Swellinfo should definitely throw up a green man t-shirt for winner if the Fantasy Surfer 2014 thread hits 10+ pages by mid-season!

10. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Bumpity Bump Bump!!!

We're at 67 members, I want to hit at least 75.

Come on folks, this is probably the most worthwhile, effortless diversion you will ever find. Plus, if you want to talk never-ending amounts of chitt, completely uncensored, to each other, you can do it in our club's message board. You've got nothing to lose!

11. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Nothing to lose except the season, your pride and any respect anyone may have had for you, that is. :D

12. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    trailer party wheaty-wheat

sounds perfect. my trailer is located in belmar, n.j…...:D

13. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Season has sucked, I have no pride, and get no respect. So...I'M IN!

14. rtftfwd

rtftfwd Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Just when I thought I was free till football season starts back up in 6 mos...old man's in, go Slater/Hobgood!

15. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Swell Info Crew Winner Take All Prize Race

Alright folks, I've done some research. Thanks xJohnnyUtahx for showing me leaguesafe.com. I think we should try to go with that next year provided this beta-test year goes well. Hopefully this year going well will mean more people will be willing to throw $10/ea in the hat next year.

That said, I'm going to keep it simple this year--I hope you all don't mind trusting me--and just use paypal (my CFO/wife's account).

Here's how it's going to work:
    -PM me that you're in and I will reply with the PayPal account
    -Make sure you also give me your Fantasy Surfer name--even if it's the same as your SI name, so I can keep track of it.
    -I will post updates of how many we have in and how much $$.
    -We can agree on the actual prize once we have a final tally.

Rules:
    -$5 entry
    -1 entry per username
    -Entry period closes at the END of the third contest--Rip Curl Pro Bells
    -Payment will be in the form of friend/gift so there are no fees involved
    -Put your usernames in the notes when you pay as well
    -You can not withdraw your entry once you have entered

I hope this is cool with everyone.... LET'S PLAY!!! :D

-this is also posted in our Fantasy Surfer Clubhouse-

16. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Alright, I decided to get a second FS account so I can run the same team through the whole year. That account is NCSaltSameTeam.

Just adding a little more spice... would be hilarious if I won our club on a Same Team

17. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    i'm in...pm on the way!

having an account w/ the same team could be interesting...i did very little major shuffling last year. really just kept trying to shore up the back end of my roster. it obviously worked ok.

18. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    interesting 4 part (pt. 4 hasn't been posted yet) video series on the return of owen wright to the tour this year. outside of nat young, i really think that wright is the best hope for a goofy foot world champ. & if he's taken his recovery & training as seriously as fanning did in 2004/2005 (when mf tore his hamstring off the bone), then watch out!

19. Lipsmacker

Lipsmacker Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Im in. This looks fun. Production at work could be in jeopardy.

20. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I just joined the club and was number 79. It definitely makes these events a little more interesting to watch. Don't know what entry fee was decided on but the more the merrier. 10 bucks to win $800 sounds good to me! Guess I'll PM you to find out.