Trouble in the Parking lot

Discussion in 'California North' started by knockohara, Feb 13, 2014.

1. knockohara

knockohara New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Hi ALL,<br /><br />Quick question. If you back out of your parking spot at the lane, and some dude leaves their board behind your car. Whose at fault. Is it the guy who walks to his car from the front side and has no clue there's a board there. Or is it the guy at the nearby car who left his board behind the car. didnt notice the engine start, or the car slowly backing up. Also, in general, how often do you require someone else to pay for a ding on your board. I always fix my own dings. I look at it like this, if you bring glass into the ocean, and so do 75 people, its your fault if it dings, you chose to go in that soup. Requiring someone else to pay for a ding on your board unless theres super weird circumstances is weird.

2. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    evidently he wanted his board hurt or he'da taken better care of it. I love my boards too much. Once I had unstrapped one from the racks and the wind caught it. Luckily I was quick enough to throw my new born son under it to prevent any damage when it hit the concrete.

3. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    babies are good bumpers, well done chich, guy who left board is kook

4. dcsears17314

dcsears17314 Member

Sep 7, 2012
    any and all other surfers are absolved when a kook gets his stick mangled by a vehicle... who leaves an unattended board behind a vehicle other than one's own... as far as dings in the water... part of the game... u could get a bic and just go all aggro... those things are tanks, hard to ding

5. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    that's why god made them so fluffy. A good board is a thing to cherish. An offspring is bound to disappoint you sooner or later.

6. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    definitetly the doosh the parked a board in the middle of the parking lot...however, you might want to look into your state laws...i know in NY if you back out of a driveway and run over somebody it's your fault no matter what as it's illegal to back out of your driveway. not sure how this pertains to cali, traffic laws, parking lots and surfboards, but maybe worth a look.

good luck, and idiots are unfortunate!

7. gnargnarshredda

gnargnarshredda Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Maybe your son will beat you with our stupid fun board you so very treasured. douche. You the guy from va beach that got caught having relations with a goat species in Costa Rica? Well turns out you might be a hero they think that ole nanny is pregent. Easily the gnarest barrell you've ever been in. Way to go guy!!

8. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    WE don't have a stupid fun board. You probably do, since one's board is a reflection of the owner, Chingada bobo.
    Mine is a sturdy reliable, handsome, catch all, with a giant chod.

9. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    The guy who placed his board on the pavement behind someone's car deserves to get it ran over. Absolutely his fault.

Regarding who pays for the ding, I think of it like this. Say a guy steam rolls me on purpose (this has happened, and he was from Quebec, and I hate him). Explain to me the mechanics of actually getting him to pay for your ding repairs. How does this work? No one carries cash anymore, so here are the options:

a) he writes you a check (fat chance)
    b) he brings your board to the shop, pays the shop with his food stamp debit card, then keeps your newly repaired board
    c) you both go to the shop together, holding hands of course, and he pays with his food stamp debit card
    d) he trades you something of perceived equivalent value, like some drugs and whatnot.

I'm convinced there is no plausible way to have some a-hole pay for your board repairs. Don't even bother to ask...just beat his a$$ like we do in friendly Maine :)

10. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Like my dad always said, "I brought you into this world and can take you out. And, make another one just like you"

11. OC&SC-83

OC&SC-83 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Who puts their board behind another car?? Did he have a problem with you after?

12. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    I stay away from crowds and pretty much only paddle out with my peeps, so if something happens and something gets dinged we just sort it out. If I dinged a stranger's board and it was my fault for being a kook, I'd offer to pay for it. If a stranger dinged my board it would depend on the situation...if it's some kid\decent dude\hot chick who doesn't know any better and doesn't cop an attitude when I try to explain what they did wrong then I'd probably cut them some slack. If someone's being a **** then I know they aren't going to pay for it in any case so the conversation would be different from the start. At that point I use my massive mind control powers and summon a giant squid to gang rape them.

As for the OPs question...not your fault if the idiot leaves the board behind your car.

13. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I don't even leave my board behind my own vehicle....any more. I almost backed over it after a couple of post session one hits. Had the car running with the CD player cranking, put it in reverse, and just before i took my foot off the brake, a little voice in my head said, "Duuuuude!" So don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who leaves it up to the caution of others to make sure their board is unscathed in a parking lot full of vehicles.

BTW, almost all my dings happen on land. Once I get wet I am all grace and style (in my mind). On land not so much.

14. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    I didn't know we were brothers.

15. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Yeah, he thought he took me out but I was still alive and dug myself out of the shallow grave. Haha! Joke's on him. Now he's got 2 brats. :)

16. torn891

torn891 Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    I paid for a ding I caused once. in OB, SF I took off- noticed i was gonna get closed out and reversed directions (without being able to really look first) and put my fins over a chick longboarder that had no chance to get out of my way.

Apologized- realized she was the GF or friend or something of a guy who had a ding repair shop nearby- so it made it easy- told her i'd drop off 20 bucks at the shop and said it was for her when she came in with her board.

17. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I was surfing 110th street in stone harbor once, i was like twelve on a brand new fun shape, and some dude paddling behind me smashed into the bottom of my board as we were going over a wave (it was real crowded)... left 2 huge dings right between the fins. He offered to pay for it right off the bat, real nice guy. I declined, however looking at the board now, a good repair would have been nice. A 12 yr old doing repair jobs, no bueno.

18. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Well if two cars get into a scrape in a parking lot from an insurance point of view each owner is responsible for their own damage 99% of the time unless something like alcohol is involved. It is what is called a not at fault accident. In your case man the owner of the board was negligent and therefore liable for his own board and the damage caused. This is difference if you hit a person.

19. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Replace the surfboard with a baby. Who would be at fault? The person who didn't bother to check behind their car for a baby? Or the parent who placed their baby behind a car?

20. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    we'll have the last laugh as we throw dirt on his face. Of course he'll have to be alive or it would defeat the whole purpose.