the only guy surfing

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by juliaep, Feb 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. juliaep

juliaep Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2011
  2. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    did know they were once an endangered species and have enjoyed a remarkable comeback??

3. garbanzobean

garbanzobean Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    That thing is absolutely beautiful. People don't hunt those, do they? Hope not. How could someone destroy that for fun? Did he dive and stay under for extended periods only to pop up many yards away like I have seen other species of duck do in the surf ?

4. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Unfortunately I bet some f**ktards do. But I agree w/ your assertion.

5. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    beautiful to the eyes, yes.. to the ears, maybe? to the nose: unlikely...however the real question is how does it taste

6. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    long tails

they are what is called a 'diving duck', the other kinds being tree, dabbler, and sea. would you
    be surprised to learn that it was saved by hunters?? (ying so it can be shot !!) (yang-YOU try
    bagging one of 'em; damn near impossible,,)

i agree that it is 'absolutely beautiful.'

7. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Long Tails are Sea Ducks

8. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    true dat

they are. i shud know this cause they were the only other surfer out ystdy besides me.

9. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    They are super cool looking ducks... It's cool that male birds are "prettier" than females.

10. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Sea Duck Recipe
    Ingredients:

3 or 4 sea sea duck breasts, butterflied and boned.
    1 bundle of shallots, minced.
    4 heads of garlic, minced.
    2 table spoon of ginger powder.
    2 tablespoon of fresh ground black pepper.
    1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
    1/2 onion, minced.
    4 cups of low salt soy sauce (or Worcestershire sauce).
    2 cups of buttermilk.
    1 cedar plank (the kind you use for cooking salmon on).

To prepare:

1. Shoot four nice sea ducks. Clean immediately upon getting home, and put the boned out, butterflied breasts in a big container with iced water for two or three hours.
    2. Rinse thoroughly, and pat dry with paper towels.
    3. Put breast meat in a bowl with buttermilk. Make sure you use enough buttermilk to submerge the meat.
    4. Put marinating meat in the fridge for 3 days.
    5. After marinating the meat in buttermilk for three days, rinse thorougly in iced water, and pat dry.
    6. Mix in a bowl all the ingredients mentioned above, and marinate the breast meat in the sauce for at least two days (refrigerated, of course).
    7. On a separate dish, soak the cedar plan in the marinate for up to two days (refrigerated).
    8. Set the oven at the lowest temperature possible (I like it set at 115 degrees).
    9. Take the meat out of the marinate, and lay the breast meat on the the cedar plank.
    10. Slow cook the meat on the cedar plank for up to four hours (again, very low heat).

11. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Is that duck at the DE break you 'gave away' which so enraged some doods?

12. juliaep

juliaep Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Yes!!!! There's a whole flock of them at this certain break, or at least on the other side of the jetty and when they all take off together and fly, the beating of their wings makes a whistling noise that's quite beautiful.

There are also bufflehead and surf scoter out there in the 30 something degree frickin' freezing cold water!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  13. garbanzobean

garbanzobean Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    They are probably quite tasty but a lot of trouble for some itty bitty breast filets. Fish are much more worth the effort and easier and less dangerous to drink beer while attempting to procure. Shotguns hurt more than fish hooks in case of the inevitable drunken mishap.

14. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

Beautiful creature there. I'd like that guy drop in on me

15. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

16. wilmshark

wilmshark Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Used to have mallards nesting all along the sound side canals in the OBX area, but they've disappeared due to shore development and addition of bulkheads. 20-25 yrs ago there were more ducks than locals along those shores

17. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    If its same pod @ the same break, a pod of few thousand mix of sea ducks, divers and ruddy's, heard them before I saw them, they make a humming burring sound while they're resting on the water. Sea Ducks amazing swimmers, they use their wings as well as their feet which allows them to swim under water some distance feeding on small bait fish.

18. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    That's pretty cool stuff. Seriously, thanks G-Man

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I haven't duck hunted since my kids were born... almost 20 years. But I used to duck hunt a LOT as a young man, and never shot a sea duck of any kind that I liked to eat. Teal and woodies were best, IMO. But I'm picky about ducks... unless you go out to PA or something, and shoot 'em in a corn field. Then they all taste good.

20. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    OLDSQUAW (long tailed duck)

though legal game this specie (LTDUCK) is quite clever with respect to hunters as
    such THEY ARE ALMOST NEVER SHOT…i know they get 'em here and there, but as a
    40 year waterfowler i haven't gotten one yet…another difficult behavior is they tend to
    arrive on the scene THE DAY AFTER the season closes. tough get around dat.

another interesting thing is that they seem to enjoy the company of surfers. i think
    they think we are ducks until they pay closer attention…i surfed today and called one
    in with a soft bbbrrrrruuuppppp minor lip flap….circled twice!