Calii forecast

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by shark-hunter, Mar 1, 2014.

1. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    http://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/half-moon-bay-california
    Today
    Double to triple overhead high WSW ground swell for the morning drops into the well overhead to double overhead high zone during the afternoon.
    CONDITIONS

Clean with E winds 15-20mph in the morning shifting ESE 10-15mph in the afternoon.

You know I always wondered why there is so little action on these forums from people out west relative to east coasters. I think it's because they are too busy surfing. One week straight of overhead to double overhead of surf. Who would bother/have time to be posting on a forum. lol

I'm taking a vacation next year for sure to somewhere that gets waves. I wish it wasn't so damn expensive to travel though

2. SearchForShacks

SearchForShacks Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Most Californians use surfline or msw... Don't doubt the value of a true gun out there if you wana charge big waves.. I have a few 5'10 s and figured I needed a step up for my trip so I bought a piny 6'6 and it worked great till 3 mile was at solid 15' and I had to paddle over a mile to get into position and then if I wanted a wave I had to take off under the lip... I got the biggest waves of my life but it was alot of work. Stack your cash and go cali has great big waves but it also has a lot of really perfect waves and slab setups.

3. Gary Williams

Gary Williams Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2013
    well yea east coasters are all certified wannabes, if i lived out in cali no way would i waste my time on forecast websites

4. Kooky McLeashless

Kooky McLeashless Member

Apr 3, 2013
    E to ESE wind in Santa Cruz = blown out slop. I post, therefore I am

5. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Try paddling a bodyboard sometimes. It will give all new meaning to the term difficult(impossible) paddle out lol I need a spot where there's lots of time in between sets or paddling channel with waves like that.

6. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

Huge swell out there right now.

7. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Bro. You mean try paddling it out the six yards to get it to the end periphery of shorebreak barrels in OC? Ya bro. That's serious paddle length bro. Right. We are all real sorry for you guys - with all those barrells you get and speedbumpish kook actions by the guilty parties. Not to say it doesn't stoke me to the gills to see a sponger enclosed in a perfect shack, at which point I give da braddah firm props bc green room is green room.

8. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Who was talking about that? I was talking about taking it to actual non shore breaks.

9. RIsurfer

RIsurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Holy crap you're not kidding. Looks like the hawaii forecast.

10. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    He's talking about magic, if you don't have a wand, you don't know.

11. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nobody has said it, but it this storm the 1st hurricane to hit Cal?

12. White Sea Ape

White Sea Ape Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2013
    thats actually really hilarious! whos our in house (SI house) west coast locals anyway? thought it was all east coast trash on here.

13. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Does anyone have a site showing this whole storm's track and reach? I'm in the Pacific NW as of a couple days from now and looking to see if this is stretching up there.

14. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Can you imagine the hype that would occur on the east coast with a swell like that? You hardly see anything on the internet for this. lol I don't think we've EVER in history had 10 days + of double overhead and then overhead in a row.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  15. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I would get fired from my job, my girl would leave me, and my dog would run away and find an owner that didn't neglect him if we got that kind of run of surf. Seriously contemplating a move out west in the next 5 years. This Atlantic is a frustrating broad sometimes.

16. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011

looks like the PNW is getting hammered today, keep your eye on it.

17. AndrewIfallalot

AndrewIfallalot Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Its California BTW.

Here's what the storm looked like
    [​IMG]

Here's pics from it http://www.surfingmagazine.com/monday-photos/storm-surf/

Usually when we get winter storms like this it is unsurfable the whole time due to wind but Friday and Sunday was definitely doable and certain spots on Saturday, which was the biggest day of storm and waves, were doable then. Our swells usually come from farther away, when everything is this close its a little too raw.

This is just a standard winter storm that we need more of. It just hasn't happened in a few years

18. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Awesome image. Oh please you cali people are probably afraid to go in the ocean when it's raining out! ;) LOL I've never in my life seen people freak out like in cali. They actually have something called may gray and june gloom. It's actually cloudy...god forbid! I'd want the clouds after all that eye numbing cancer causing non stop sun for 9 months of they year.

Got a question for you. When you surf in southern CA in summer/fall/winter is it usually cloudy in the morning due to fog/marine layer? What time does it get sunny by?

19. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Isn't it way easier to paddle out on a bodyboard?

20. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    It's MUCH easier to paddle a surfboard. MUCH. No comparison.
    Bodyboard vs shortboard is like shortboard vs SUP when it comes to paddling. Half your body is in the water causing huge drag. That's why it's impossible to paddle without swim fins/"flippers". With the fins on a bodyboard is still like a stone in the water compared to a surfboard. Try paddling a bodyboard out in overhead surf on a punchy beach break that's not a shorepound sometime. Or better yet, try paddling out at deep hole area at matunuck in overhead. I wish it was easier to paddle a bodyboard. My sessions would last longer and I wouldn't feel completely half dead from exaustion. It's hard to even go back to back days for me when I do a really long session first day. Not that young anymore and just the whole body feels beat to hell. Legs/shoulders/back muscles everything. And it's made worse by the fact that you stun your body since swells are rare.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014