Question for admin

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by shark-hunter, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    As we all know in weather forecasting, relying on ONE weather model is a horrible way of forecasting. Since this site only uses the GFS, wouldn't it make more sense to have a forecast with at least the Euro as well? In fact it would be great if they were both on the same page. Gfs at top then euro right below that. This would also let us see the percentage chance of a swell occurring, rather than just seeing a bust or sudden pop up of a swell. This site would be 100 times better/more accurate if you did that. You could see proper model alignment rather than just what one model is pumping out. It would probably make this site twice as accurate doing that.

2. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    And I'm not talking about blending them. Show each models solution/forecast.

3. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I thought it stated within "sharkys book of being a (warm) seasoned and disgruntled body boarder" that it only breaks a handful of times within your body boarding season, and that its wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better out in cali bro.

With that said, wouldn't such a disgruntled east coaster think its overkill to combine two swell models when there are rarely waves here?

Back in the day, when I was running the report, you used PM me regarding swell directions and where I surfed... Is there ever a day that you go and look at the ocean for yourself?

Combing the GFS with your own opinion on conditions is more accurate than anything else. Regradless of how many models are combined, you will never be able to trump the old school method. Then again it is cold outside and the showers aren't open at Scarborough this time of the year, so making that commute just isn't worth it.

4. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Quit trolling my ****. The old school method would be to not even use this site at all.

5. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

We could use the euro, just need about $500,000 per year to get the data. Start selling lemonade. Hopefully the US models catch up to the euro model.

6. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Omg...that's insane. I guess that's because you're using it for commercial purposes?

It's not just about which model is better. It's also about seeing if the different models line up and stay the same run to run. That is so important as you obviously know in a forecast.

7. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    FTW!

FTW(squared)!

8. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    I understand you're kind of slow, so let me explain. It's more important to have a good forecast when there are rarely waves. You need to plan around waves with work ect. In Cali, a forecast is not nearly as important. Just go look at the ocean. You just can't handle that the east coast sucks compared to west. I tell it like I see it. Get over it.

I don't remember ever pm'ing you, but I do remember telling you stop blowing up spots and we were not friendly when you were on here last time. I didn't like you then and I don't like you now. :) Of course I don't like the majority of people on internet forums so there you go.

9. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I made a model of my pen!s and I just use that for predicting swells.

10. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    How are amatuer mets with weather blogs able to get a hold of the data? It would cost you 500k just for data for fl and then md to ri on the east coast, which is the majority of people on here.

11. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    That must be a rather small model. ;)
    (just joking)

I like to use large models that cover a large geographic area for collection of weather data.

12. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

They are just using some images that are being disseminated (either legally or illegally), rather then having the actual data. The GFS is supposed to be taking steps to catch up to the Euro, hopefully we'll see that sooner rather then later.

13. leetymike808

leetymike808 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    you know you could do a little research of your own and find the correct bouys to check to put together your own forecast, so then you can stop complaining about the models a free surf forecasting site is allowing you to view, once again for free.

just my two cents.

14. Special Whale Glue

Oct 8, 2011
    Why pay two cents if it's free?

15. Special Whale Glue

Oct 8, 2011
    Sh!t, I need to hire 2 illegal immigrants to help me move it in and out of my shed every time I need a swell model because I made an exact replica. I should have scaled it down.

16. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Having the correct "bouys" itsn't going to do anything. You show your complete ignorance right there. You need the model data. I have no idea how to put together a proper wave forecast based on that data nor do I have access to it. I'm not a met nor do I have a degree in that area.

It's not complaining. It was a valid question. My question was answered. It wasn't financially possible for him due to fee's. Case closed. Stop doing the cliche thing. You know how many times I've seen a silly post like yours directed at not just me, but other posters. It's old.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  17. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Oh and the site is "free" like facebook is "free". He's making money off of this(which is fine). He sells ad space. You know how many hits he gets on here? So this is not a charity site. lol.

18. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

Very valid question regarding the Euro Model. It has become increasingly clear, that it out performs the GFS in forecasted storm track. Unfortunately, the European Weather data doesn't fall under the public domain, as it does in the US.

19. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    You know how many posts every one has seen involving you *****ing about the report, conditions, weather, etc not being good enough for you? Quit being such a sandy vag. It's getting old.

20. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    You troll every thread I'm in. Stop being so obsessed with me. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.