Dirt Road Designs - ESA Mid Atlantic Regional Sponsor

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by dirtroaddesigns, Mar 12, 2014.

1. dirtroaddesigns

dirtroaddesigns Member

Mar 12, 2014
    I wanted to introduce myself! My name is Deanna and I surf and live in Maine and am a NEW sponsor for the ESA Mid Atlantic Regional Surf Competition! Always looking to surf new and exciting places. I started surfing in Long Island NY about 14 years ago, then moved to VA and have settled for the last 8 years in Maine.

I have recently opened my own jewelry business and have a surfing collection called "The Barrel's" Collection. I decided to become a sponsor for ESA with hopes to better reach surfing communities all over!

I am looking just to get honest feedback on my work from the surfing community! So, critique away!!

http://www.dirt-road-designs.com/barrel-collection/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SurfersStudio?section_id=14848722&ref=shopsection_leftnav_7

[video=youtube;kYXvrTsaTGQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYXvrTsaTGQ[/video]

2. jchafard

jchafard Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Honestly? You're marketing the wrong crowd here. No offense, but I think the jewelry is better suited for your casual shopper.

3. dirtroaddesigns

dirtroaddesigns Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Why is it the wrong crowd? Just curious and what do you mean by "casual shopper"?

4. jchafard

Aug 10, 2011
    While I can't speak for everyone here, wearing something around my neck that screams "I surf" isn't something I'm after. I've worked a few retail locations growing up (surf shops specifically) and those who actually surf don't wear that kind of thing.

Just my two cents, maybe someone else could chime in. Kudos on the hard work, however. Seems you've put a lot of work into it.

5. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I wear a neoprene band around my wrist that's got a stainless steel wave...8"...I think your stuff is pretty cool. Not sure you get something just to scream out "I surf". Saw some cool surf tribal tattoos...I don't think they get those to scream out "I surf". You get those cause it's something that you represent...either jewelry, tats, whatever works...it's a representation of who you are...or maybe it just looks cool...it's all good.

6. dirtroaddesigns

dirtroaddesigns Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Thanks MRCOOP!

JCHAFARD- I may not be a professional surfer but I have been surfing for 15 years and it is a huge part of my life, as is creating jewelry. I am sorry if you think differently but artists are inspired by the things they love whether they are greatest or the worst at them.

7. jchafard

Aug 10, 2011

Great! Noone's telling you not to create art that you enjoy; no need to be offended by my opinion when you asked to "critique away." I could've bashed the fact that you have two topics up on the first page of this already slow forum attempting to push your etsy page, but chose a kinder path of my honest opinion on your art exclusively.

8. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    I like it a lot. I don't wear jewelry other than two rings, but I think it's something that would appeal to people. I'd buy the barrel for my wife maybe, but she'd probably put it on a chain instead of leather.

9. dirtroaddesigns

dirtroaddesigns Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Thanks! Wearing a necklace when you are not used to it is definitely something that takes time :) The "Double Barrel" is the better one for a chain because it has a smaller opening. Thanks for your feedback maybe I will show them on my site with chains, so people can visualize it with different options.

10. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    How much for a custom made "shott the pier" medallion on a neck chain?

11. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Very defensive for someone that said "I'm looking for honest feedback. Critique away."
    I didn't see a comment about your skill level.

12. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I responded too your other post

13. dirtroaddesigns

dirtroaddesigns Member

Mar 12, 2014
    I can make anything you want.. I just need more details. Shoot me a comment on my website www.dirt-road-designs.com

14. dirtroaddesigns

dirtroaddesigns Member

Mar 12, 2014
    I agree it is a bit confusing the way I describe it because I say "right wave crashing and left wave crashing" but you surf in the opposite direction .... I will have to ponder a different way to say this :) Thanks

15. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think you should rename the shark one from 'no sharks' to 'no shark finning'...they look cool though.

16. dirtroaddesigns

dirtroaddesigns Member

Mar 12, 2014
    hahaha, I thought of that when I was doing research, it would be another way to market it though!. Question, where did you see it called "no sharks"? I changed the name to surfer's amulet a while ago and would like to know so I could change it. and thanks!

17. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Anytime...when I opened the pic, saw the 'no sharks' in the bottom corner as the file name...unless I was hallucinating.

18. dirtroaddesigns

dirtroaddesigns Member

Mar 12, 2014
    NYNJ & JChafford - I am sorry if you think I was getting defensive. I am open to criticism, there have been a few other people that have critiqued my work on this forum and I did not snap back. I just feel that when you start a comment.. Honestly? It can be read with a condescending tone. I would like to know why you think these pieces scream out "I surf" again just curious, I have worn a few around that I have made and not many people even associated with surfing directly. They are waves... I didn't make "I heart surfing" pendants... :)

19. dirtroaddesigns

dirtroaddesigns Member

Mar 12, 2014
    No, you are probably right, when I switched everything I forgot to re name the file.

20. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    That was just my .02, I do like the wave designs too...don't necessarily think they scream 'I surf', I mean waves are holy, everything consists of waves in some way. Good for you for getting your business going.