Wind Turbines Posing a Problem in Maryland

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by matt_mcq, Mar 18, 2014.

1. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    It's pretty funny that the oil companies, who have fugged up ALL our waters, are concerned with birds running into props and fishies not getting enough sleep because of noise. If those birds can't see a giant spinning white set of claws, they probably fly into someone's window. or eaten by a sloth. and fish need to stay awake because their life span is getting shorter.

2. SurfLIs

SurfLIs Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Solar energy is a proving technology the oil companies and politicians will not allow it to expand so they invest in projects like wind farms to help save each household 13 cents / month.

A 1.5 Megawatt turbine can generate electricity for 322 homes a year. Multiply that by number of homes in the area serviced by the turbine and it equates to nothing. That's also assuming wind speeds of 27-57 mph.

3. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    The answer is: George.

[video=vimeo;19863733]http://vimeo.com/19863733[/video]

4. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Fortunately I speak bird language, so I'll have a talk with them about their vibrators' vibrations.

5. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    I speak bird sign language

regularly.

6. matt_mcq

matt_mcq Member

Oct 26, 2013
    they will be in the water. i havent really researched the science of it but i know they will block the wind some. and the may also block swells from coming

7. matt_mcq

matt_mcq Member

Oct 26, 2013
    same here. solar is definitely the way to go

8. matt_mcq

matt_mcq Member

Oct 26, 2013
    And all we would have to do is throw a couple solar panels on those stupid hotels that suck up all the energy in the first place. should i start a petition? i'm really going to be pissed if the turbines effect our waters and surf in any noticeable way.

9. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    so you haven't researched but still somehow 'know'.

10. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    then it'll always be glassy! Definitely want them off our coast now.

11. bungalowparkbob

bungalowparkbob Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    People are so eager to argue and TRY to crack a funny joke. Considering wildlife is sensitive to UV radiation when it's emitted by power lines, it's certainly not at all far fetched to think that vibrations would impact them. Whether that would be detrimental in any way is up for debate. But it's proven that some animals stay away from power lines.

These turbines would harvest the wind, effectively diminishing wind speed in the immediate vicinity. I have no idea whether it would be enough to impact the wind swells that are our primary source of waves here on the east coast. Doubtful though. Guessing much less impact on the longer period, more developed swell energy. Minimal impact to swell considering bathymetry because they would be located far enough offshore in deep water and would cause minimal depth changes.

12. BeeVee

BeeVee Active Member

Sep 1, 2008
    I am unsure how the turbines impact wave size/shape. They are however working on ways to prevent bird deaths. First has anyone seen a turbine spin? Most I have seen spin fairly slowly so if the bird can't get out of the way that bird may have its own problem. However they are finding that blade color can reduce bird and bat death, as well as color of warning beacons on the top of the turbines. There are tons of articles out there.

13. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Just remember, it's a FEDERAL CRIME to touch a Bald Eagle.... unless you are a wind turbine, then it's perfectly ok to decapitate them.

14. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
    They only appear to be spinning slowly because they are so large. In reality, the tip of the blade is moving at 180 mph.

15. GreenTrashBarrels

GreenTrashBarrels New Member

Mar 17, 2014
    No but birds will definitely die from it if they aren't deterred. There is a massive draft that follows behind these turbines. The outer part of the blades actually spin somewhere around 180+mph. The momentum alone is enough to carry an SUV. If a bird is caught too close (say 5-10 feet I believe) they can get sucked in and easily decapitated.

The wind speed actually isn't effected as much as you would think. They take up very little space and it isn't like they can completely eliminate wind from an area. Not even close actually. They more direct the wind over specific areas but, there is still plenty of wind that around the turbine. I can't imagine seeing a large difference in swell height sediment congregation.

The real issues are noise, cost, and how easily damaged they are (so maintenance). They don't provide too much energy however, on coastal areas where wind is always going to be prevalent, they can certainly help.

The electric car was not going to help solve our problem. The batteries alone would cause more damage then 12 more years of 5 o'clock traffic in LA. That and our main way of producing electricity is with fossil fuels anyway. We need a more stable way of obtaining energy before we can rely on electricity.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  16. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Not all turbines are created equal. Sure, the gigantor ones appear to move slowly... but have you seen the ones on Jennette's pier or others around the OBX? They're a lot smaller and spin like blenders.

17. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Yep. Meaning "I form my own opinions using no real facts."

18. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Power lines don't emit UV radiation.
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...dicaltreatments/radiation-exposure-and-cancer
    "Power lines and electrical devices
    Electric currents create extremely low-frequency (ELF) electromagnetic fields, which are at the low-energy end of the electromagnetic spectrum. We are all exposed to electromagnetic fields from the earth itself and from man-made sources. Examples of man-made sources include power lines, household wiring, and electrical appliances (when they are on)."

19. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    The wind turbines will not have an affect on the surf. Wind turbines will not have an affect on fish either...fish love structure...can't speak for the birds tho. How in the hell is the cable and foundation going to affect the surf? Where do some of you guys come up with this stuff?

20. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Battery technology killed the electric car. We still are not where we need to be with storage, especially charge/discharge rates. That said, they are making progress every day.