New Ear Plugs - YES

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by SI_Admin, Mar 22, 2014.

1. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

I just found out about this new ear plug they are developing in Australia. Supposedly, it stops water, and is very good in letting in sound. I am super excited about this:

http://surfears.com/

2. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Too late for me unless I want a quack to drill out my ears. But a dang good idea. Had I know then what it would be like now, I would have stuck gum in there.

3. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

Every plug that I have tried has been sub par in my opinion. I would gladly spend some cash if it works really well and doesn't fall out.

4. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    sea water never bothered me, other than the surfer earbone growth. When I'g go into brackish waters, like the intercoastals into the Currituck, my ears would get infected.

5. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I wear Doc's Pro Plugs most every time I surf unless it's big (then I like hearing the sound) I really like them and they've definitely helped my ears. I use the vented kind and you can hear pretty good. I'm sure you've tried them before though. I picked mine up at scuba shops in the area.

6. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

I've tried the docs pro plugs. They are okay, but would come out on me if I took a bad wipe out. I know they have the connecting coord, but I've still lossed them.

I backed this new plug on their kick starter, so we'll see how it goes. I'll post a review whenever they are released.

7. SJerzSrfr

SJerzSrfr Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    in the same boat. tried docs pro plugs. not really all that impressed. they fell out a lot. and yes i had them sized for me. looking forward to seeing how this turns out. right now i use one of the macks products. but they are kind of a pain in the a$$, but they do keep water out.

8. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    I use macks too. not perfect but they seem to do the job. change often.

9. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    I had a pair of customs made by westone -- had impressions taken of my ears adn then sent 'em off. THey make surfer plugs that keep water out and let sound in, at least at about 50%. Never had them come out.

10. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Those look cool, though, I just donated on kickstarter too, gonna get me a pair.

11. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

I use the Mac plugs as well right now, and yes they do keep water out, but you can't hear much at all. I really hope these aussies are on to something.

12. windswellsucks

windswellsucks Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Have you guys tried 'EQ SEALS' ear plugs formerly known as sorkey's I believe. I love them works much better than Mack's wax at letting sound i. and I don't go deaf after a cold winter surf any more

13. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013

14. SJerzSrfr

Mar 2, 2010
    hey windswell, any issues with them falling out? i found that the docs would get knocked out during a nice wipeout. and there doesnt seem to be a string attached to them right? that was always a pain in the a$$
    found them on this site.
    http://www.earplugstore.com/sorky-surfers-earplugs.html
    little less than $40. might be worth it though, as the time to take the hood off is right around the corner.

15. windswellsucks

windswellsucks Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2007
    I only had an EQ seals earplug fall out once, because i didnt insert it properly. otherwise, never had a problem. My hearing is completely fuct from all these years of winter surfing, so im gonna try and save whatever hearing i have left. A buddy of mine got the surgery where they chisel off the bone, he can hear much better now but its mega bucks, insurance dont cover it, and the doc is in norcal so you gotta travel

16. SJerzSrfr

Mar 2, 2010
    yep im in the same boat as you. my ears canals are like pinholes. and surfing in the summer gets worse every year, as the water just seem to stay trapped longer and longer. thanks for the info. think ill grab a pair.

17. whynot

whynot Active Member

Nov 13, 2013
    I've definitely had some issues with tinnitus, mostly from playing music with a drummer, but reading these threads always makes me think I need to learn more about surfer's ear. Any old threads or articles you all would recommend? Or, if you want to give me the basics, that works, too. A main question is, if you've got a winter suit hood on & your hood isn't getting flushed, are your ears ok? Or do you still wear plugs? I have a pair of those custom wetstone plugs for playing music; I'll look into getting the cap that's used to make them good for the water.

18. SJerzSrfr

Mar 2, 2010
    im usually good in the winter with the hood on. although i did get flushed quite a bit on thursday and have had a clogged ear since then. i really only where the earplugs once i take the hood off. and even then i only wear them about 20% of the time. just dont like having em in. but maybe ill be more inclined to wear the EQ Seals

19. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

Nice, thanks for the link... Anyone else have any reviews on these?

20. SJerzSrfr

Mar 2, 2010
    Just placed an order for these those sorkys. Ill let you guys know what i think of em in a month or so, once we finally take the hood off. total including shipping was $43. pricey, but hopefully worth it.