Coast Guard??

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by 252surfer, Mar 28, 2014.

1. surferzach

surferzach Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Not everyone in the CG is trained to jump out of helicopters and save people lol. Somebody watched The Guardian a few too many times...www.gocoastguard.com if you have that misconception. There are plenty of enlisted rates that do not directly save lives on a regular basis, if ever. And if an officer is jumping out of a helo, it's because it's crashing. Educate yourself before you embarrass yourself.

2. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    No. Everyone is not trained to be a rescue swimmer... But all are trained to handle heavy situations on the water.
    You are clearly very educated on the matter being that you were able to find the website. Great job sport.

3. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Another spewing opinion from bluto. Just because your wife shut you down doesn't mean you should come on here & shpeckle the Forum with your verbal diarrhea.

4. surferzach

surferzach Member

Nov 25, 2012
    So, I have first hand CG experience and I was never trained to handle "heavy situations on the water." Everyone in the CG must pass a swim test and be able to tread water for 5 mins...that's the extent of heavy situation water training that everyone receives lol. Thanks for your input though.

5. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    How long have you been thinking that up? too bad you wasted it on this particular post. you probably thought diarrhea because you got a whiff of your own breath.

6. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    i just hate all of you i cant tell you who i hate so ill just group all yall together. keep the hate going wooo wooo wooo. hoty right here. #belmar #folly beach.

7. Big_Krispy

Big_Krispy Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I know a guy that joined the Coasties for all the Sweet waves he thought he would be near. Poor bastard's been in Alaska for over a year now.

8. Big_Krispy

Big_Krispy Member

Jan 1, 2014
    We did this same thing in the army once a year, they called it drown proofing.

9. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Every year, on the army forts I lived, kids under 15 had to go thru swim training before getting pool passes. other wise one would have to be with a parent. One year a guy taught us drown proofing. it wasn't treading water, no arm nor leg movement. it was inflating the chest, arching the back, and staying afloat by shallow breathing. He could do it without arching, while talking.

10. beau'n'sheets

beau'n'sheets New Member

Dec 1, 2013
    I was a Coastie, got stationed in Honolulu for a long tour in the Pacific. There are good parts and bad parts to being in service for the Gov. but if you want to challenge yourself and take the risk, enlisted or officer, then go for it!
    From my experience it helped me immensely, sea time allowed me to get my 100 ton Captains License, the GI bill paid for two degrees and I have surfed from Alaska to Samoa while calling Hawaii home base. Also, if you are from VB you know how bad the Navy is, if not just ask...not hating here as I have a Navy family but I found the smaller service to be more adaptable to normal life.
    Good luck, fair winds and following seas!

11. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    treading water isn't drownproofing.drownproofing is being blindfolded,hands tied behind the back,feet tied,thrown into a 15 ft pool and u bob up and down for a long time.its to simulate being thrown overboard tied by the enemy.i don't know how u can compare the cg to the navy.all I know is all the troops and other service people laugh at those that say I was in the service,coast guard department lol.

but to the kid who wants to join the cg,dont listen to the rest of us on here.do what YOU want to do.all im saying is the cg will make u a better surfer and u will be able to handle urself in heavy situations.i always watch the coastguard show on the weather channel,they do their share of rescues for fishermen lost at sea,but at the end of the day u wont be docked up in wave rich zones like south Africa or Oahu,or even japan.its ur choice,not the people on this forum

12. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    oh yea how could I forget,the real thing that makes u a waterman in the navy,is when they throw ur whole unit in the ocean on a cold windy day with 15 foot barrels breaking on ur head(the base is in s.cali im sure one of u knows the name of the spot)and u have to float in the impact zone for an hour without drowning.then on the same day ur whole unit goes out holding a huge log telephone pool looking thing in the impact zone and u have to stand tall against the waves and not drop the log.then u take that same log and run up and down the beach.then they boat u out to 3 miles offshore where u have to swim in against those 15 footers.the best part is getting the boat out past the breakers.and they only do this training on the biggest roughest days,and mind u,there are no breaks or timeouts for rest,u do each excercize right after another.

don't u people ever watch the military channel??and that's why the navy will make u a waterman

13. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    So you were never trained to be on a boat in heavy water??? You do know when boats in distress the Coast Guard is called, right?
    I guess they just launch the CG vessels and say "figure it out fellas. Too bad we didn't train you for this situation."
    Was your CG experience checking out the website?

14. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That's SEAL training. Not standard Navy Training.

15. surferzach

surferzach Member

Nov 25, 2012
    You're too cute! Not everyone in the CG is on a boat. There are land units and support units. Thanks again for your input and enjoy this thread...I'm tired of solidifying your spot at the bottom of the gene pool.

16. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Keep crying because you're the moron in the CG that never saw the water.

I don't know anyone in the CG that has not had time on the water... You must be very fragile that they kept you away.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  17. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    In Oahu, most CG are at Barber's Point. It does seem like the CG tends to locate you to surfable areas than the USN

Also, where is the OCS equivalent for CG? I think for the Navy here on the EC its in Pensacola, Fl or Newport, RI

18. sflbigred

sflbigred New Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Join the Coast Guard, it's a great life. Trust me I'm a former Coastie, 8 years enlisted 2 tours in Puerto Rico and another in Palm Beach, FL where I left the service. I'm also a Marine brat who's Dad was stationed in San Diego, NC, VA and he recommended the Coast Guard over the Navy because of shorter deployments. I got to travel all over the Caribbean. You will always be near great surf, that's the deal the Coast Guard protect the coasts not the deep water. The ships have much shorter deployments than the Navy and you are guaranteed to be home more than underway.

19. sflbigred

sflbigred New Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Cepriano,Bro I hate to say it but you are wrong, I served 8 years, 5 in Puerto Rico and 3 in Palm Beach. The Coast Guard has stations at most of the prime surfing locales in America, Hawaii and the Caribbean. The cutters travel the world as well. I'm a Marine Corp brat raised in some of the best surf locations America has to offer and even my Grunt Dad advised me to join the Coast Guard if I wanted to surf more and be underway less. Not knocking the Navy at all, just giving my experienced point of view.

20. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Go ahead Zack... Tell Big Red he's wrong too... Ya dummy