Costa Rica - April

Discussion in 'Central America' started by surfnewb, Mar 31, 2014.

1. surfnewb

surfnewb Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
  2. rideacarr

rideacarr Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    what the hell do you do for a living that you can just travel across the globe within 4 months of each other? **** im jealous

3. ocsurf32

ocsurf32 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Go to Salsa Brava on the carribean side, its got that jamaican vibe to it and the wave is insane

4. surfnewb

Dec 21, 2013
    Wow that looks insane, are those waves consistent in April? A shame we JUST booked the flight to LIR haha

@rideacarr I'm a trader

5. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    or bigger

or bigger. see chilean earthquake thread.

6. rideacarr

rideacarr Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    okay, well then lets make a trade, you come live in new jersey from april 17-27 and ill go to costa rica for you!

7. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Head to Hermosa/Jaco area...lots of stuff to do. Good breaks close for your girl to learn on. Hermosa is always consistent and its not too big this time of the year. Manuel Antonio national park is only an hour drive south. Jaco has ATV, zipline, horseback riding and many other tours.

Check out Hermosa: http://www.rovercam.com/

Pura Vida mi amigo!

8. TDTubes

TDTubes Well-Known Member

May 30, 2007
    SurfNewb. Los Pargos is going to be the most remote and more reef breaks, I don't know there personally, but the area yes, and it is more expert waves around there and not much to do besides the beach - Avellanas is more beginner friendly but prob 30min or more ride.

Nosara is a small town but big beach and forgiving waves that are super consistent, really good for family or couples. For a super relaxing and fun time for you both go to Nosara. Rent a longboard of fish right there in town and you are set. It is famous for Yoga, surfing and family friendliness (ie no hookers or people pedaling drugs in open - Jaco and Tamagringo).

Tamarindo is a big-small town and is most touristy, small waves, but lots to do and very pricey for CR standards - comparable or maybe more $ than US.

I recommend Nosara, been several times and will return. Been to Tamarindo several times and I usually end up saying I don't want to go back (but usually do anyway because of wifey).

Edit: typical small day: http://www.surfingnosara.com/surfing-nosara/surf-reports/april-02nd-2014

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  9. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Tamarindo is a big-small town and is most touristy, small waves, but lots to do and very pricey for CR standards - comparable or maybe more $ than US.

I recommend Nosara, been several times and will return. Been to Tamarindo several times and I usually end up saying I don't want to go back (but usually do anyway because of wifey).

Edit: typical small day: http://www.surfingnosara.com/surfing-nosara/surf-reports/april-02nd-2014[/QUOTE]
    also don't forget playa negra; if you regfoot unot want miss this and coolhotel overlooks the break except
    for occasional sea snake in swimming pool.

10. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    u do know that knee high surf is from a very small windswell or offshore winds right?its funny when I always hear people say don't go there,the waves are small,or go here the waves are huge.its all about the swell,everywhere gets small,even pipeline and waimai,and almost everywhere gets somewhat big,in the 8 to 10ft range.costa has some heavy breaks,this isn't Waikiki.and why would u bring ur girl?that's like taking ur wife to vegas.always good to be an honest man,but if my 84yr old father in law could bang a boatload of 18yr olds,I can only imagine what someone of reasonable age can do down there.

11. ocsurf32

Jul 22, 2012
    Salsa Brava is a fickle wave but it actually breaks more than you would expect. I looked at surf report today 4/2/14 and it had was 6 foot 10 seconds at Salsa. . .

12. surfnewb

Dec 21, 2013
    WOW Costa Rica humbled me, amazing experience!

Went to Tamarindo for 4 nights (tiny mellow waves, my gf loved it)

Then Santa Teresa for 5 nights...huge waves last week. Really humbled me.

Grabbed 3 lessons with Luchi from Denga Shop. Really improved my paddling, duck diving, turning etc.

Really heavy, powerful waves though with onshore winds most days. 1.5 to double overhead at some times way too advanced for me haha. There were some younger competitors who weren't even able to paddle out (Costa Rica National comp was on).

I promised you a pic

[​IMG]

13. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    You've caught the PURA VIDA feeling my brother... There's so many different beaches and breaks in Costa Rica its amazing. Pavones is by far my favorite. Check out some different places next time you go....you'll be back!!!!

Adios amigo! :cool:

14. tomomp

tomomp Active Member

Jan 30, 2013

I live in playa Hermosa.....April not too big???? April is when the waves start coming here...think of the north shore starting to fire in November...same concept.. its been 15+ the last few days and we just had a big wave tournament at roca loca this weekend.......try somewhere else like...I don't know, I think the name of the place is.....Don't come here because its dangerous! lolololol definatly go to tamarindo.

15. surfnewb

Dec 21, 2013
    Already back...was in tamarindo then santa teresa. Loved it

16. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Just go. Don't over think it. It's all a playgound.

17. ocsurf32

Jul 22, 2012
    Surfnewb glad you scored some waves.