Wtf!

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by johnnykans, Apr 11, 2014.

1. johnnykans

johnnykans Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    I'm at work just browsing through the surf cams and seen this big pipe laying on the beach in Belmar and by the boardwalk looks like a oil tank does anybody know what there doing, and I wonder how it will affect that break

Attached Files:

2. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    dredge pipe. bye bye surf spot (at least for a while)

3. swabby

swabby Active Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Yup. Beach replenishment is here. Belmar is history much like the rest of northern MOCO.

4. 34thStreetSurfing

34thStreetSurfing Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    I was there the other day. It's disgusting. They did it the day after that gnarly swell on Tuesday.

Check the cam on surfersview.com, you can watch as they destroy another surf break.

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    RIP random break in Belmar.

6. 34thStreetSurfing

34thStreetSurfing Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    that was my new pre and post work spot...

only a half hour drive down 195 :(

7. Mattyb

Mattyb Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Enraging right? Almost all of long branch is being replenished. Pier village used to have a break at every jetty. Now its a lake. Southern Monmouth has been all "what's the big deal," over us complaining in Monmouth last few years. Now everybody is forked.

8. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I seen them replenishing 7presidents after that big noreaster we had a few months ago.there was like 1.5 ft of snow on the ground,and it was Saturday,and these guys don't take a break.another good spot buried under the carpet.I don't venture past Asbury,belmar is good,but looks like no more 23 footers

9. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Does it really destroy every break? WTF is right. Every single time? And by "destroy" I don't mean a closeout for a bit till the sand gets rearranged by the next swell. I mean no longer breaks.

Or is this an exaggeration? I've just read about it. Never experienced it first hand. But I'm about to. :(

10. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I've been through it, and it seemed varied depending on where they did it. What I mean is, some spots seemed to come back much quicker than others. I couldn't tell you why. However alot of spots are going to just stink for a good long while.

I feel like the more Northern spots take longer to come back, but I could be off. Truthfully, in the past when they wrecked a spot, I tended to forget about it for a long time, then one day I checked it out of the blue, and it's working.

One good thing is when the spots come back, they may be different, and some could be better then they once were. OK, thats a lame grab for a positive spin, mostly it sucks.

Once we get our offshire islands, I'm getting a peddleboat and I'm totally over these wrecked beaches. Gonna rip up the Jersey banks. That is if I can peddle through the huge 7 second swells likely to be found in the bay area between the mainland and the new islands.....;)

11. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    in my experience, it's an exaggeration. yes, it takes time (years, even) for the sand to rearrange & people will argue that it's never quite the same as it was pre-replenishment, but it's a beach break; sand shifts around all the time. odds are, most people are nostalgic about how good it was prior & jaded about how bad it is after.

12. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Well ruining a break for YEARS is horrible, but what about all those places I've read about that NEVER break again? Like a lot of spots in delaware? Have there been ANY spots in NJ that used to break, but now do NOT break(shore pound) due to replenishment?

13. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    well, yes, of course it is. but half a decade is an eye blink or less on a geological time scale & i'm certainly NOT a replenishment apologist. i just don't think it's worth the hand-wringing & caterwauling that a lot of people do over it. it's not like we're burying killer dana beneath a breakwater or something.
    to my knowledge, no, there aren't any spots in my neck of the jersey woods that have been turned into unmanageable shore pound due to replenishment. BUT, southern nj has a different beach profile than northern jersey does. the beaches tend not to be as steep here, so even if the ACoE really ****s the bed on the sloping, it self-corrects relatively quickly.

14. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    You sound absolutely like an replenishment apologist. All the while admitting it destroys breaks, but saying people shouldn't make a fuss of it. You should see the red tape that exists when you try to do anything at all in regards to nature/building highways/engineering projects. But put a few oceanfront millionaires homes in the way and suddenly that red tape disappears quite rapidly. Well I'm not a geologist. I'm a wave rider and half a decade absolutely does mean something and I think it's great the fuss people make over it. It's the only way the army corps will pay attention and do replenishment projects while taking into account the waves/sandbar, which they can clearly do without destroying the breaks. OC, Maryland vs Delaware is a prime example. Both have been replenished, but one was done correctly.

15. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    I loved seaview and the jetty in front of Rooneys....RIP sic rights :(

16. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    i just think if you're going to oppose something, oppose it for valid reasons. the temporary "destruction" of something that is impermanent to begin w/ is not, IMO. the destruction of the intertidal ecosystem, on the other hand, IS. replenishment is a band aid, at best, & an ecologically destructive one to boot. like hard structures, it robs peter to pay paul. it's a foolish waste of money to replenish beaches, esp. if you're going to do it wrong like the ACoE tends to do.

please remember that i live on one of these islands. it has been my family's home for more than 3 generations & has been mine for 27 of my 33 years. i know it far better than most who live or move here as i've been surfing, sailing, paddling, swimming, walking, & running on it for that entire time. i know how the sand moves, where it goes & where it comes from. i have made it a point to study this & understand it.
    my father & grandmother witnessed the destruction of the '62 storm first hand. i was 4 when gloria struck & 10 for the oct. '91 storm. i watched entire pieces of landscaping float down my street during sandy & we are NOT millionaires by any stretch of the imagination. we are, & have always been, solidly middle class. your constant generalizations of island-dwellers as "millionaires" is tiresome & wrong.

17. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Destroying the breaks/waves is not a valid reason? Are you a surfer? Seriously. :rolleyes:

Middle class? I guess it depends on your definition. I don't define someone making over 150k a year as middle working class. And that income would not allow you to buy an average home on LBI anyway.

Millionaire= net worth of 1 million dollars. Let's be realistic of most nj beach property values and the fact that most are vacation homes built on a barrier island.
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-31/storm-risk-fails-to-deter-buyers-of-oceanfront-homes
    Average home price is 1.1 million on LBI
    Now, if you're NOT a millionaire, then you have plenty of time to sell your house if you can't handle the ocean potentially destroying it. Plenty of demand. Or maybe you can hold up some signs and get petitions to build those offshore islands and turn NJ into a giant salt lake

Again what exactly are you arguing with me about? You're saying people shouldn't *****/complain when/before the army corps does a project to make sure it doesn't destroy the break(right sand grain ect). That's my issue with you. This is exactly what surfrider is all about. And they have had success in other areas before as have many other special interest groups.

18. shaunfig

shaunfig Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    I know of a spot or two right now that are alot better after the replenishment

19. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    And that's the point. If it's done right, you can absolutely preserve the break.

20. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    who said anything about LBI? that's not where i live. my wife & i certainly bring in less than 150k a year, i'm a writer, my wife is an O.T. my dad & stepmother certainly don't make that much either, they're both teachers, one public, the other catholic school. they both live on-island as well.
    you're really holding onto this notion that anyone who lives on one of the barrier islands must be a millionaire or come from money or some such. this is simply not true. middle class families can still afford homes here, it's just a matter of priorities. you take fewer square feet, but get to be w/in walking distance of the beach. & thing about not buying beachfront? less likelihood of the ocean washing away my home. only fools & tourists buy right on the beach. they could stop all beach replenishment & fortification tomorrow & my home wouldn't be in any danger for another 50-100 years.

your reading comprehension skills really blow. i'm not saying that at ALL. i'm saying they shouldn't be *****ing & moaning AFTER the fact. if the ACoE/gov't insists on doing replenishment, then by all means, they should try to do the best job possible, matching grain size & beach profile. but that doesn't change the fact that it's environmentally destructive. surfrider is a corrupt failure. don't even get me started.