Coil Surfboards

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by JerzMan, Nov 17, 2008.

1. JerzMan

JerzMan Member

Aug 9, 2008
    I've been looking around to possibly buy a new board and I ran into a review of one of these boards. Apparently they're really durable and ride pretty well, but run way cheaper than most non-poly boards. Plus the guys are east coast shapers which is always a plus (they're out of Florida I think)

Anyways I was looking for a durable and cheap board for good surf (chest high and +) and was wondering from the people who own these boards how they ride, especially in good swells. Plus how much it costs to have the board shipped, as I'm from NJ.

Also if you have any other suggestions for a nice durable board that I can afford (I'll be driving soon so I need $$$ a car and gas). Thanks everyone.

2. VA LONGBOARD

VA LONGBOARD Member

Nov 3, 2008

3. rDJ

rDJ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I own a Coil. You can order them shaped by Mike Daniel through No Flat Earth in Brick. They ride absolutely sick. The flex is incredible off the bottom turn, they are light, durable, and stay bright white. I smacked mine into my door on the way outta the house the other day and nothing. Not a mark. I really thought there would be a ding. No foot dents yet on mine, although I have seen very very slight ones on older Coils. They are super durable and ride more like poly than any of the other new tech boards, but at the same time have much better flex. Firewires feel like dead flex to me, Coil's feel more alive. I can't recommend them enough. Do it! You will have a sick board that will last a long time. Very good investment. Plus your money is going to east coast shapers and glassers (Yup in Florida). You will get a hand shaped board built with love by other east coast surfers. Do it, now.

4. NewJerseyNick

NewJerseyNick Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2007
  5. JerzMan

JerzMan Member

Aug 9, 2008
    I sent an email to the guys at coil and looked around. Its pretty much around $600 for a shortboard, which includes fins. So its much cheaper than firewires and even the surftech tl2 ones. I own a custom epoxy from todd proctor (like an everyday board), and it is absolutely amazing, but really expensive (i think it came to over 800 with the shipping). I obviously can't afford another one so i'm lookin around for a good wave board that i can afford right now.

6. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I just ordered a Coil step up from Mark at No Flat Earth in Brick. Mark knows his stuff but prior to my ordering I had a few lengthy e-mails back and forth with Mike from coil to get my board dims dialed in before ordering. Mike really, really, REALLY, knows his stuff. Out of all the shapers I have talked to over the years he gave me the most feedback yet.

These boards supposedly kick ass and a lot of people are really stoked on them. I am stoked on the order and if all goes well I will be ordering a every day shorty after my trip. I need to get some extensive testing done on the step-up first.

P.S. Mark from NFE will be stocking coils come spring.

7. RIGHTaway

RIGHTaway Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2007
    If Mark does do this, then will the price be driven down a little? Or brought up? NFE rules and its the only store I've bought my gear from and I've always loved their board stock. Just every now and again, I come across a board a little out of place in terms of price. Plus, I'm gonna need a new shortboard soon, all these little head-high swells are putting it down.

8. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Not sure what he will be selling them for but I am 100% positive he will be stocking the board come spring.

It was my first time in the shop to tell you the truth. I was impressed with what he had in stock. The guy knows his boards and likes good boards. He has a Gary Lopez board (that was personally shaped for him) for sale looks friggen SWEET. The price is not bad on it either, specially since now it is nearly impossible to get a hand shaped board from Gary. Like I said, I just ordered a coil and NJ does not get waves like HI/Indo/Samoa/Fiji anyway. It would be a killer travel board though. First time I have seen a Lopez in person and that could possibly be the only one that exists in a shop in NJ.

I would deff contact the shop and see how much the coils will go for off the rack. I am paying ruffly $650 for a custom...

9. rDJ

rDJ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    $650 is a STEAL when you consider what you are getting. For $650 you get a clear sanded finish board from Merrick, Rusty, Lost, that will last you maybe 3 years (on the east coast, only 1 yr on the west coast) before falling apart and will annoy you at least 7 or 8 times over it's life when you get a ding that needs to be fixed. By the end of 3 years it will be more q-cell and resin than foam, covered in pressure dents and spider cracks, and lose the performance and beauty it once had. With a Coil technology you have a board that will still be as light, as strong, as flexy, un-dinged and un-dented after 5, 6, 7, or more years. So you are basically getting two boards for the price of one. AND your money is going to east coast surfers who shape and glass. It's a no f#cking brainer if you ask me. They are NOT indestructible, no surfboard is, but under regular use, with proper care they will last twice as long as a poly board and retain their life/performance/flex much longer than poly. And if you really need a name on your board, you can order Coil glassing through WRV as well. The last poly board I ordered was $700 for color and gloss finish. I requested heavy glass for durability. I picked it up last October. It's already been dinged and repaired twice and has plenty of spider cracks. My friends Coil is a year old and you have to struggle to hold it at the right angle in the light to find a tiny pressure dent from the heel of his foot. People on the west coast are going ape sh!t over Merricks new double helix glassing, which is kind of a similar concept to Coil, but not nearly as good. If the Brasingtons were on the West coast Coil would have exploded by now. But because the right siders are frowned upon by the industry Coil is still rather unknown. It's a shame. But then again, we can still get boards from them for the same price as regular poly boards because of it so, I'm happy being one of the few in the know. Keep it an East coast secret for all I;m concerned. But if you do drink the Kool-Aid you will be hooked.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  10. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Hell ya. Plus the turn around time is awesome right now for a custom coil. I did not mention in my last post that $650 is a damn steal for one of these boards. I agree on all fronts to what rDJ said. I am stoked and beyond happy with the price. There aren't many off the rack boards for that price and they are no coil tec. West Side is really missing out (well i guess I can't say that untill I try the board). Stoked!

11. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    I hear Gary's brother Gerry Lopez is a half decent surfer as well. If you like the Gerry Lopez he has on the rack, you should check out his personal Lopez guns... for when he used to go to HI. He'll even sell you one of those too.

12. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2007

Gary is better no matter what you say :rolleyes:. I saw 2 of those guns. Sexy boards.

13. va2obx

va2obx Member

Nov 19, 2008
    absolutley not worth it 100% in my opionion. one of the worst $450 i have ever spent. WRV's mike daniel with coil industries makes these boards.talked to the master glasser for WRV and he said these boards suck. it's pretty much a plastic board, with white gauze in it to keep it white. great flex for the first couple weeks you have it.then they snap in half literally..STICK WITH THE POLYS BRA!

14. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Not even sure why I am replying to this but obviously you are a troll.

Coils are not WRV shapes and WRV don't even offer the material anymore. To long of a story to explain, nor do I care to explain it to you. Maybe you should look into obtaining information from a more accurate source. Your "master glasser" is wrong. Have you even tried or own one of the boards?

Mike Daniel and his brother live in Florida WRV is located in NC...explain to me how that works. I mean that would be a lot of cash shipping boards back and forth prior to going off to the surf shops.

All I have to say is no one listen to the troll.

15. mostchillin

mostchillin Active Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Frankly I could care less about your guys little pissing match but I'm bored out of my mind in my home office so let me try to set you both straight...

WRV most certainly does offer Coils -- at least they did up until a month ago. I called them directly bout Coils as I was considering one before my bro started shaping again. And they still advertise them on the WRV site:

http://www.waveridingvehicles.com/boards.html

They did make is clear to me that they take longer to get than a PU or Epoxy.

And yes, you are correct -- WRV is in Kitty Hawk, NC. However, Mike Daniel does shape for them regardless of where he's from or lives. Many, many shapers have worked their magic under the WRV label over the years.

Call me a troll if you like but it seems to me, at least on the surface, that both of you are blowing $hit from your pie holes... Stick to what you know...

16. va2obx

va2obx Member

Nov 19, 2008
    mike daniel doesn't shape for WRV? along with jesse fernandez he shapes probably 90% of WRV's boards. and yes he does coils for WRV...and they suck but thats just my opionion.

17. rDJ

rDJ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
  18. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Update:

Just got back from my trip. Step-Up coil went insane. I am ordering a everyday NJ slosh summer board this weekend (coil).

I seem to love these plastic cotton covered (for that white look), none hand shapped, wrv popouts. :rolleyes:

19. lshines

lshines Guest

OK, how do I order a custom Coil?

How/who where do I order a Coil - a custom shape preferably - or do they have a web site with their wares?

20. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2007

Best person to talk to about it is Mike Daniel. I know Kirk (one of the Brasington twins) who created the epoxy mixture shapes the boards also. Kirk used to shape with Matt Kechele so he knows his stuff also. I personally go through Mike D. His e-mail is:

mike@coilsurf.com

Mike really knows his stuff and gives crap loads of feedback. GL.