Why Surfline Blows It

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by yankee, May 10, 2014.

1. dudeclimbing

dudeclimbing Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    It always seems when PR is going off the cams go down! Go figure. Maybe cuz they have a huge pad there above Maria's. They even got rid of the middles and wilderness vids.

2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Hear ya. Was at Wildo, the locals were laughing about the fucasts saying they luv it cause it keeps people away.

3. dudeclimbing

dudeclimbing Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Ya, I get calls from buds down there when it's good. Generally rinconsurfreport is right on.

4. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
    I remember recently seeing surfline call for a forecast of 1-2 ft while SI was calling for 2-4. In the morning, it was clear that SI had made the right forecast as the waves were in the waist to chest range. But, the thing that was most ridiculous was that the surfline report still said 1-2 ft! It's like they didn't even bother checking. They actually posted a midmorning "update" around 10am giving the correct report.

5. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    As I stated before, Surfline is for hero worshippers....meaning that Surfline would be running against their own interests if they actually posted accurate swell forecasts, which would crowd their breaks and ruin it for the heroes. About the only time they are accurate is when the gig is up and the entire coast knows that there is a swell running.

OTOH: during my trips to the EC, I compared Surfline's forecasts with SI. Guess what? SI was almost always spot on, while Surfline almost never got it right. Heck, SI's west coast forecasts are even better than Surfline.

But if you want to know everything about Dane and Jordy and Kelly and the Geiselman's and Connor and Balaram and Mick and...well, you get the picture....then Surfline is absolutely hands down The Best.

That is why (among other facts) that Surfline blows.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  6. AndrewIfallalot

AndrewIfallalot Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    I thought Cali, Colombia was landlocked? California's waves suck. We just have more consistency

7. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Try living on the east coast for a year. West coast has us beat into submission. Consistency, quality, and all that. Kelp, rock bottoms, and a wiggly coast line with no continental shelf do wonders for surfing.

8. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010

Nice try, brah...the whole world now knows (thanks to Surfline) that Dirty Jerz is def holding. You should be expecting Californians to start invading your homeland by hurricane season.