Whats your flavor?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by zach619, May 23, 2014.

1. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    With all these beer threads, what kinda libations do yall cats get down with...

I'm a scotch guy, Single malts. I love 18 year Macallan and Glenlivit if I don't have the 18 year budget.

I will drink Bourbon with friends, but that is the booze that makes me angry and stumble drunk. Never been a huge fan.

At a nice dinner, I will do a dirty saphire on the rocks or maybe a kettle one...

But Scotch and a good IPA. Thats my sh** right there.

And I have a pretty sick wine collection, but I had to take sommelier courses for F&B up in Napa so I do appreciate a good bottle of juice. I have had to keep up with the wine nerds for many years now. Gets pretty interesting, and who doesn't love a mid-work day wine tasting?

Mcallan 18 and Sculpin IPA. That is my final answer.

2. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Jamesons Irish Whiskey - "mothers milk". I gave up soda, it's poison. On the rocks with a splash of H2O please. Happy Memorial Day weekend bro!

3. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Yup. A buddy of mine put me on to Jamo a few years back. It is a much appreciated change of pace for me every now and again... And I was told by a very successful construction owner that he and his crew only drink Jameson because it doesn't impair your driving in the manor that other liquors do... Don't believe it, but these dudes would throw back jamo like water at the end of the day and have no incidents. I don't buy it, but who knows. Stranger things have happens.

4. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Two of my three trashed-surfboard-by-wife incidents began with the demon rum. Bad mojo! Less sugar=more happy.

5. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
  6. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Vodka And Tonic. Mid shelf Vodka. Usually Platinum. Top Shelf is overrated and overpriced, bottom shelf is lighter fluid. I'll do the honey whiskeys, preferably Wild turkey but Evan Williams works on a budget.

7. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    If you like Jamesons try Powers

8. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    JACK DANIELS on the rocks. I'm actually pretty mellow when I drink it and it's never given me a hangover.
    Tequila (and several other 'potions') got me thrown in prison so I haven't touched the stuff in decades. Rum makes me feel like crap the next day so I haven't touched that in decades as well. Can't drink wine either. My wife drinks it like water.

9. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Dogfish Head 60 min IPA
    Ketle One on the rocks with lime.
    Fresh Mojitos
    Fresh Margaritas

10. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    One or two scotch blends either on rocks or rocks with a bit of water (depending on age) then one or two Yuenglings and I'm stoked. I like my scotch like my women - aged 21 to 25 years.

11. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Interesting. Alcohol is alcohol. There's no funny drunk, booze that leaves you less impaired, angry drunk, etc. It's all the same molecule.

12. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    I wonder if anyone has done a study on this. I know alcohol is alcohol. But as a punk youth, when me and my "crew" would drink E&J brandy, usually there was a violent event/fight later that evening, like a bad spike lee movie. "You stepped on my Jordan's" next thing you know someone is getting punched. When we drink vodka, all was well... There has to be some kind of explanation....

And man, in my adult life, I gotta say that Jack Daniels just does something different. It is definitely not my happy place and it feels like I just get too tipsy too fast.

My friends brother tried to tell me last night that moonshine has some strange effect on people, that basically gives you the effects of the movie "limitless" if used properly. His theory was that if you take just a swing of moonshine once an hour throughout the day, that not only would your productivity increase, but you could take over the world. Strange theory, but the kid has a masters and works for some strange chemical cooling company in Boston that produces some weird substance that keeps pharmaceutical drugs at the proper holding temp during transit. Not saying the guy has a Phd in moonshine, but he is a science cat and it was a very off the wall theory.

13. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    JD or Jameson for sure. That's my sh*t these days. I don't drink it on the rocks, normally with some sour mix or coke, but i'm not against drinking it straight either, just try and pace myself normally unless it's a full on party!

14. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Good call on the Dog Fish Head... That lil' DE brewery just won a James Beard award this year. I was stoked to see them on the list. Good sh**.

15. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Although I didn't land in prison, I was unable to drink tequila for about 6 years after my first trip to the Caribbean side of mexico. Things went down hill real quick. About 3 years after, I tried to force down a shot of hornitos and ended up spewing vomit and tequila out of my nose immediately. Even the scent of it brought back horrific memories for ages. All better now. Love it.

16. epictetus

epictetus Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2013
    "Silver Coin" Margarita:
    50% lime juice (ACTUAL FRESH SQUEEZED, NOT SOUR MIX, NOT IN A BOTTLE)
    40% Herradura Silver tequila (or any other good silver tequila)
    10% cointreau (you can cheat and use combier or triple-sec too)
    Shaken, on the rocks, with salt in an old-fashioned glass

"Grey"hound:
    Tall glass
    shot of vodka (I actually somehow prefer Stolichnaya)
    ice cubes
    the rest of it the best grapefruit juice you can find (i.e. fresh squeezed is best, carton or canned acceptable, plastic bottle NOT acceptable).

17. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    1)Jack neat.
    2)For a mixed drink change of pace, Sailor Jerry with a splash of coke zero on the rocks
    3)I'll take a brandy sized portion of Amaretto neat after a good meal. Like this better than dessert, it's just as sweet.
    4)On my annual motorcycle trip with my father, I'll end each day of riding with a little Jim beam...just because he likes to end that way....When in rome.

That's pretty much the extent of what I drink, other than beer. I don't generally go for Irish whisky, but Bushmills isn't bad. I have a friend that drinks far too much of the stuff, so I have had it on occaision. It's pretty smooth.

18. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    For a change of pace, salt the rim of your Grey Hound and you have a "Salty Dog"...

For whatever reason, that is almost my drink of choice in the airport. Calm the nerves with a greyhound. I know its a breakfast drink, but I will take that any time of day. Not sure why i only have one in airports, but I feel the need to calm the nerves before a flight.

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Beers:
    Homebrews
    Guinness
    Anchor Steam

Spirits:
    Woodford Reserve, neat
    Herradura Resposado, neat
    Jameson Gold Reserve, neat
    Or if I'm feeling like a pompous a$$... Hendricks Gin martini, in and out, up, one olive

20. sheetglass

sheetglass Well-Known Member

May 12, 2008
    Rules to live by: scotch indoors and bourbon outdoors.

Not picky with beers, but those are mostly selected by the weather for me.