Sea Isle surf

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by southjerseysurfer, Jun 25, 2014.

1. southjerseysurfer

southjerseysurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2014
    so whats the deal with this place. Usually flat to knee high and ive never surfed it good. Wondering if there's a swell direction that will make it fire or if like they say its always bigger everywhere else. Been playing hockey and skating at the park so figured might as well try and get a surf in. Any input on SIC?

2. Ghost of SJB

Ghost of SJB Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Dude, you have to travel north to Ocean City.

Hey, do you like motorcycles and Jack Daniels? Go look for Chavez y Chavez as he is the official mayor of all that is South Jersey below Ocean City's 34th St bridge.

How do you feel aboot being a prospect?

3. ZombieSurfer

ZombieSurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I actually grew up in sea isle (north end near strathmere, which has a nice longboarding spot) and learned to surf there as well. It usually is always bigger in ocean city. But before I could drive it was nice just being able to just cross the street and be on the beach and find a decent sandbar. Dunno what the sand is like down there currently as I've been spending a lot of time in beach haven, but if you surf on the northern end of sea isle a lot of spots light up at low tide. Everything falls into place and sandbars like 100-200 yards out start peeling. In town you might find a little peak off a jetty or pier, but it's just like a smaller scale of what ocean city has on tap if there's swell coming in.

4. Ghost of SJB

Jun 7, 2014
    HA, I used to go to the north end of Strathmere a few times a year as one of them "get a way from normal" spots.

I actually got it pretty fun a few times. I kind of dig that place's vibe. Right across from that little trailer park area on the street with some restaurant. Yeah, mellow in the summer and deserted in the winter.

Of course it can't compare to 7th St in OC, but what spot can? Yes, I'm being outdated....I think.........

5. ZombieSurfer

Jan 9, 2014
    Hahaha either that or that mean's we're both out dated at this point. and yeah Strathmere has a very mellow feel too it. I've eaten at that restaurant a few times, fav is uncle bills pancake house though, right next to the bridge. This old dude has a house right at that spot too on the beach and him and his wife always kayak out and catch waves. I'd kill to have that house right on the beach. Since my fam doesn't have a house in SIC anymore my parents always go to strathmere and get boozed up and say they go cus they don't have to worry about the beach tag checkers lol

And 7th is but a mere memory of what it used to be. Nothing compared to what 5th and 8th street were either, they are finally starting to show signs of life again though

6. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    you seem to know the deal but maybe it is worth mentioning that like so many so-so beaches (surf-wise)
    the actual break can improve with a longer swell period…..

7. Southsidesurfer

Southsidesurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Mellow waves or vibe? I've never spent much time on the north end, mostly south end (not to surf) and it's so cool down there. Also been looking into sic or strathmere. Just don't want to go to Waverly or 7th street b/c the crazy crazy crazy crowds. Very territorial down there.

8. MY SAVIOR

MY SAVIOR Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    1st Street in SIC. When it is big that is where to go. Should be an inlet there. Every monster storm ocean meets the bay there. Surfed SJ for thirty years. I know all you guys and you know me. Boo! Just sayin.

9. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Keep your creepy arse van away from my town Wayne. This is your only warning. And it's 2nd street not first.
    I winter in OC and Wooden Jetty on El Bee Eye but Sea Isle is my home break. Everything stated by the above posters is true. It's smaller but an old gray beard like me gets some non crowded waves whenever the need arises. It sure beats the f@ck outta this crap I've been surfing on Topsail the past two weeks.

10. MY SAVIOR

MY SAVIOR Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    I will keep the van parked back on Anchorage south end OC. Pull the RV up at 1st easy parking.

11. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    surfed sojersey for 40 yrs. don't know you and never heard of you.

12. HD4

HD4 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Should have been there this past winter OP

13. bassplayer

bassplayer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    I have never felt the territorial thing at Waverly. Crowds, yes, good surfers, absolutely. If I didn't get waves there or got dropped in on it was because I was outsurfed, not because of my address.

14. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    When the wind is right SIC can be the best wave around. Those days don't happen often though. Whale beach can be pretty good on a hurricane swell. Otherwise head north to Ocean City or South to Avalon for better waves.

15. Ghost of SJB

Jun 7, 2014
    Best wave around? Say what? Dude, you got to do a little experimenting up north....even way up north. SIC can be 2 foot while Belmar is 6 foot. Seriously.

16. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    You mean.....

23 foot?

17. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    1. Its all relative. Your profile says you are from Hammonton so anywhere you go to surf is going to be a pretty good hike. Given your distance from the ocean your definition of "around" is going to be quite a bit different than someone like me who lives 600 yards from a pretty good break. Belmar might as well be in another state as far as I'm concerned.

2. Read what I said. Did you miss the part that said "When the wind is right"??? or when I said "Those days don't happen often"? Believe it or not, on certain wind directions SIC can be offshore while other better known spots are quartering side shore. The trick is to know when to go there.

3. Given the original poster's location I seriously doubt he's looking to waste an hour and a half on the parkway when waves are right around the corner.

4. I've ventured north plenty over the past 30 years. I know how good it can be and I also know how fickle it can be if the winds aren't just right. Rarely is it worth the drive when I've got a good variety of waves to choose from 600 yards from my house or 10 miles north or south of home. You might not understand that given that after driving 10 miles you are still 20 miles from the ocean.

Hammonton.....you're a funny guy. Have a great day. ;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  18. ZombieSurfer

Jan 9, 2014
    Wind sucks. I was at 7th steet yesterday (gaurds on duty, no where else to go and waverly was being murdered by the tide... blah) and the within 15 minutes the wind literally went in a 360 degree rotation. Was offshore, then switched to out of the south, then completely onshore, then out of the north to back offshore again. It was weirddddd. It stopped altogether at one point too and the water was like sheer glass for a few sets. It was a bizarre thursday

19. Ghost of SJB

Jun 7, 2014
    Yep, Hammonton is real far away from that ocean. I'm a whole 23 miles from the beach. Take me a lotty time to get to shore. I actually dig where I live. Sort of.........kind of.

Good choice of a comeback. I appreciate your angle.

Honey, if I was ashamed of where I lived, I wouldn't post it. Like, most of y'all don't even do that.....like, like....you !!

I've explained my love and choice of Hammonton on here a couple of times. But I'll do it again. Back many moons ago I had two interests in life - sniffing dope and surfing. Hammonton sets you right dab in the middle of where the action of both goes down. You know, Camden/Philly and Ocean City NJ. I was living in OC and decided to make the move. Plus, I got a job in Delran, so Hammonton's location made the commute bearable. There's no jobs in Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland and Salem counties. DO you know that. There really isn't.

Plus, I knew some cholos in Hammy that I used to drive to the city which financed my habit. If it wasn't for them I might have to have prostituted myself. Sucky, sucky, me love you long time. Also, back in the day I didn't like living in a small quiet beach town because the cops there get on my jock too much. I don't know, I didn't even like living in Ocean City. I just didn't like it.

To get into it further, I actually don't really like Atlantic or Cape May counties. If it wasn't for waves, I'd probably live in the Philly Metro area.

More and more, Atlantic and Cape May counties are reminding me of Alabama. Oh smack, did you hear The Showboat might shut down their doors? First the Revel and now The Showboat. The way things are going, coastal South Jersey is going to be worse than Alabama. Jeez, I'm starting to think like a North Jersey guy these days.

Wow, I never thought it would come to this, but this area is going down the tubes. A lot of people around here are really hicky-like.

Actually to get a real thump bub, you actually have to travel further than I. I'm glad you are proud of living 600 yards from the beach. What do you live in the bay? Right on !! Seriously, I'm not saying this to attack you, but SIC is kind of lacking.

Dude the way you speak of this special wind that lights up Sea Isle, it must be some rare strange wind direction that I've never heard of. But even if this magical wind that only blows offshore at Sea Isle happened everyday, so what? SIC is still 3 foot smaller than 7-11 in Ship Bottom.

Oh you know what? I betcha that even though I live so far away from the beach, that I actually surf more than you do. Just a suspicion I have. But what do I know.

Hammonton is awesome, dude. You should give it a try. You like Italians and Mexicans?

20. ZombieSurfer

Jan 9, 2014
    idk about him but I like meatballs and tacos, 4realzzz