Tropical Depression One

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by EmassSpicoli, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    nice post... live by this right here.

2. apbb

apbb Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Starting to get that "I won't be able to surf when there's actually a swell" depression. Still think it's gonna be hectic with the July 4th crowd in NJ.

3. andrewk529

andrewk529 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
  4. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    eres ingriedo. sabemos que las olas abajo de la frontera están mejor.

5. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    updated

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    that gif is metarded metard!

7. The Lonesome Tractor

The Lonesome Tractor Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hey, my surfboard got broken yesterday. Can i borrow your dog?

8. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Real talk here bros - where are the better places to charge THU/FRI/SAT based on what we see right now? I'm in NJ for work and may not head back to MA later today if it's best to stick around these parts or go south. Trying to game plan and not waste driving time. Doesn't look like the swell will be as phenomenal in NE. No need to bust up breaks by mentioning names and you can stay general based on forecasted swell direction, winds, etc. We are within the 24-72 hour mark so it's getting safer to accurately call. Help a bruddah get stoked here buoys!

9. SJerzSrfr

SJerzSrfr Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    come to North Street in Ocean City. everyone else will be there

10. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    If I was you, I would head down to Northern SC if you have the time. Or Buxton on Thursday. It should be chest to head high in south OBX thursday. Wind MAY be an issue, but I would sit tight there, let the storm pass over night and into the morning and then catch a clean up session as the swell slowly drops and the wind switches.... Right now, everything north of there is looking they will get a quick flash... So, you could also stay in Jersey and probably catch a real quick bump late friday. Not much else on the radar. You might be able to catch the tail end of it if you just stay in Jersey, wait it out and then head back up north when you are through.

Depends on the amount of time you have and the amount of desire you have to get it the best. If you got nothing but time, I would get on the 95 and head south my friend.

11. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    How can Swellinfo be calling Fri/Sat 2-3 foot on this one?
    Seriously?

12. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Don't know where you live, but there is a huge blind spot in the swell models based on where/when the think either passed next to OBX or over top. The angle it takes will have a HUGE impact on everything north of there. Its a wide open fetch for everything south, so all the data is there to create a proper model for it. Everything from VA to NY is on hold as far as the forecasting. You can see bumps in Jersey etc. but they are only very brief. I anticipate everyone getting a little more from this up north than what is currently being shown. There is a big chunk of data missing, at least from what I am seeing.

But Central and North Florida are head high and drifty right now. Not exactly delivering a huge amount of swell right now. Its parked right to the ESE of them.

13. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Spicoli if you do make the trek to OBX be forewarned the road from nags head area down to rodanthe and buxton will most likely be washed out during the storm. They get it back into a passable form pretty quick but it may be a day or two before you could leave. It'll be just about as big and you'll have a lot more options if you stay north of the oregon inlet bridge. More bars and wahines too for the after sesh chilling. Also, if mandatory evacuations begin you will probably not be able to get all the way down there anyway. You don't want to get all the way to the beach only to be turned around and sent back north to VA.

Oh yeah, watch out for stair cases and pilings in the lineup. They float just below the surface.

14. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Not to mention the rusty remnants of the groins (jetties) north of the lighthouse. They are mostly submerged on even a normal high tide. Last year I heard some locals talking of a surfer impaling his board on one of the rusty spikes of the northern most one.

15. bassplayer

bassplayer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as NJ-NY is concerned, the storm will be moving away from those states, doesn't that mean only minimal swell hits those beaches?

16. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    For all you chart junkies check out this link. I think I saw something about it being an experimental project sometime last year. Looks like it's live now. Lots of overlays and layers

http://nowcoast.noaa.gov/

17. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Yes moving away as far as forward momentum goes but wind circulation is counter clockwise, meaning it will be pushing swell to the north and east as well.

18. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    seems the size is off a little bit on the forecast here (jacksonville @ 3-5). Its still not big... but a consistent HH or so sets at mid to high tide Blue Tops this morning. However, it's delivered some sorely needed waves the last few days...or at least I think it has. Not sure how much of the swell from Sunday evening to yesterday was from the storm itself or just it's impact in breaking up the crappy summertime weather pattern that kept Florida basically flat for 3+ weeks. Looks to be moving quick though...swell went form SE to E to NE in a few hours... best to get on that clean up early!

19. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I think the problem for NY/NJ is that by the time it moves east/north of Hatteras it's going to be caught up in that frontal system and moving really fast, and only spending maybe 6 hours sending swell up this way.

20. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    It's looking clean south of the Cape, doesn't look too drifty, I'm not in the water though , can't get there till tomorrow after work, praying it sticks around or builds a little before heading North