Wetsuit Jackets

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by salzsurf, Jul 3, 2014.

1. salzsurf

salzsurf Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Does anyone sport one of these in the water? I'm wondering how uncomfortable the zipper could be while paddling and if it allows a lot of water to flush into it.

2. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    JAH used to make those...
    JAH gear.jpg

4. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I have one, more like a shirt with a zipper on the side, rip curl. It's as warm as a wetsuit without the bottom. Don't think I would like the zipper in the front.

5. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    never in my life have i heard it called a "wetsuit jacket"

6. surfnewb

surfnewb Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
  7. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    There's a reason the stopped using these after 1972, dont be a hipster ****

8. Gabbas13

Gabbas13 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've had a Quiksilver 2mm jacket similar to that Oneill for @ 3 yrs. Its great for dawn patrol or when the water hits 68 or so. Flushing isn't really an issue if you get the right fit. The zipper doesn't get in the way either. The question is whether or not to spend a little more and get a spring suit, which is about as warm.

9. salzsurf

salzsurf Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Yeah, I'm just looking for something to throw on for the New Hampshire summers. Sucks to put on a 4/3 to surf in 90 degree heat. I think spring suits are a bit overkill for up here.

10. Hayduke Lives

Hayduke Lives Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    why in gods name would you ever want wear one of those. Tops have been made since the 80s and are popular because they dont suck

11. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Idk, it might be nice for summer dawn patrol to take the chill out of the air, and then as the sun and temperature rise you could unzip it a little to let it flush?

12. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    what's it called?

13. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014

like 1 mil top, .5 mil top etc

14. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    2mm "topper". I've got a couple of them and they're great. No zipper down the front though. Mine are longsleeve wetty tops with a zipper going a couple inches above one hip. These are great to trunk with.

15. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Bro if you were to unzip the front zip ones then you're defeating the purpose of neoprene. It's not supposed to be flushed. If it is, you're just swimming in the ocean between the rubber and your skin. If a wetty or top gets flushed and your comfort level doesn't change you could most likely ditch that rubber and just trunk it.

Why does everyone need an intermediate wetty solution for every 4.6F degree change in water temp?! 5/4 Drylock to 3/2 to 2mm topper to trunks. That covers me from 36F water to 86F. That's all bros.

16. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    I think the "rashguards" or "jackets" or "wetsuit tops" that have a chest zip entry are kinda dumb. I see them on ripcurl team riders all the time.

17. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    dude, change your avatar now.

18. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Yeah, I was speaking from my perspective, I generally walk or ride a bike to surf, so no car to stash stuff in, and I live in a place where unattended belongings might not stay where you leave them.