talk and hearsay about rip currents

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by ZombieSurfer, Jul 4, 2014.

1. ZombieSurfer

ZombieSurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    So is anyone else getting the whole spiel about how rip currents are dangerous and be careful when you go out and surf, mainly just because it's that time of year? Not sure if our west coast brethren have to deal with this as much since the beach is a year round attraction not limited to the summer months like it is here.

With all the coverage on the news about inexperienced swimmers and children getting sucked out to sea I'm hearing it non stop from family members and friends that know I surf. I must have had to explain about what a rip really is, what causes them, and how everything works out in the water ten times in the past two days to people who really know nothing about the water. People see or hear about rip currents and immediately think danger, I see it as an easier way out to the lineup as I sure most of us do. I tell people it's not just a summer thing and I use them year round to paddle out.

I suppose it just comes with the summer territory along with the tourists/shoobies, guards, tag checkers, parking, etc. If anything I think bigger swells/waves are easier to deal with in the summer since the water is warmer and your movements aren't restricted by tons wetsuit rubber and can actually feel your extremities being able to move more swiftly and think better without mind numbing brain freezes.

2. Zman9398

Zman9398 Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    Yes someone is up to talk about this.

I am 15 and and me and my friends are gonna surf wildwood today (July 4th) if the beaches aren't closed.

I am getting the same spiel you are about how rip currents are going to carry me out to sea, just like the boy playing on the jetti on 7th street in oc.

Do you know if the beaches will be closed because I'm pretty sure all of us in sj are pretty excited for this overhead swell or possibly doh according to msw

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

3. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    ZombieSurfer is a solid dude. Good post bro.

Zman, that's good stoke there. You're probably the most stoked 15yr old you know. Stay stoked, Ponyboy.

4. ughVeeBee

ughVeeBee Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    what happened to the kid?

5. johnnykans

johnnykans Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Yes it's get to a point where its annoying the only person who doesn't bother me is my dad he warns me for every storm swell about the rips and yadda yadda but he knows I'm not really listening I guess he just feels better that he warned me

6. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Let me be the one to educate and put you ease. Rip currents, the ones that everyone warns you about, are a surfers friend. They are elevators out to the lineup. The rips that suck are the ones that move you 1/4 mile down the beach without realizing. Outgoing tide and offshore winds tend to help you drift out to far so always be aware. If you dont know this yet don't paddle out during a hurricane swell, and keep you stupid go pros back in PA.

7. SteveO

SteveO Active Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Ok kiddies - I'm sorry that I'm the one that has to break your heart. If someone is talking to you about the ocean and the conditions presented, that is because they don't think your all that good. Don't blame them and then cry online about it. Look in the mirror and figure out if you are a run away. Yes? Charge. No? Stay home. That simple. Why else did you come on SI to talk about it? Because you aren't sure. The tail is between the legs child.

8. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Not true. I'm 48 years old, been surfing for over 35 years. My 76 year old father still warns me about rip currents and undertows every single storm.

9. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    This is funny. I was reading quotes from the North Carolina Governor last night. I wanted to drive up there, kick him in the knee and drive home. He basically said things like "People, now is not the time to put on your stupid hat" "No matter how fun the surf looks, DO NOT ENTER THE WATER, do not put our service men and women's life at risk by having them come get you" "The rips are too strong" "Even experiences swimmers need to stay away from the beach"...

I was just thinking, okay, forth of July, tourists everywhere, yeah, stay away, but I also got the idea that he was aiming some of those comments at surfers. He was actually on a WB news outlet saying this.

I get it about the tourists. But I was looking at the cams yesterday. There were a few surfers our, but there were ZERO tourists out playing in the hurricane surf.

Other than drifting north and south a bit, rip currents are irrelivant to surfers. Unless you use one as a little conveyor belt out to the outside, but that is rare.

People that say these things to you obviously don't "really" know anything about surfing. They probably don't surf and haven't surfed.

See, surfers have things cool things called "Surf boards" and they act as Giant, flotation devices and our feet our up out of the water as we paddle out the entire time. Aside from noticing that you have drifted, surfers don't even feel "rip currents"

Remember as a kid, when you were small and out standing in the water, you could feel them. Pulling at your legs. the "Undertow" and then out a little further, the swirling rips....

Rips could be an issue if you are out body surfing with no fins on... but man, the governor of NC is obviously not a surfer.

Nobody said a word about it down here. It was all sytems go. The surf was pretty much as big as it could get in the summer. Lifeguards were out. People playing in the big waves. The surf was great. No tourists died. Lifeguards had a mellow day....

10. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010

Don't worry about your marltonites stressing about water conditions, tell them to go to medford lakes and take a dip! Come on down to the island, tonite should be interesting with the low tide. Hey is that bad boyz surf shop still open in your neck of the woods?

11. sharknado

sharknado Active Member

Jul 16, 2013
    There are surfers and non-surfers. Non-surfers do not have floatation, they have not logged in the time negotiating pretty intimidating conditions, they simply don;t have the toolset that experienced surfers have for dealing. Non-surfers make up the overwhelming majority of tourists. Non-surfers NEED to be kept away from dangerous conditions. People die in rip currents every year. They just don't know and are not prepared (physically). Its not a joke. I can;t fault officials for stressing and stressing that folks stay out of the water.
    But it doesn;t apply to me or to experienced surfers. We know that stuff happens and we might die today. And we surf.

You gotta give your parents and family a break, they are hard-wired to worry about you. If you're a kid (<18) you're not really free to be stupid until you're 18. If they don't try to stop you and you die they WILL blame themselves for not trying to stop you. Its on them.

12. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Does anybody know if the life guards are keeping surfers out of the water in OCMD?
    Planning on heading down there in the next couple hours, but I know how they are now with these storms, fining people for going surfing and all that bvllsh!t.

13. NJ glide

NJ glide Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    ignore them, run past them, outpaddle them, paddle due east til they give up.

14. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Lmao....two years ago I watched a kid do exactly that, when he paddled back in, they gave him a $350 fine.

15. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    There are 5 guys surfing in front of Malibus right now. It looks overhead and offshore and VERY sick. GO. NOW! Your Welcome.

16. ZombieSurfer

ZombieSurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Lots of good posts, glad to know I'm not the only one who hears about this from loved ones. And I'm certainly not 18 anymore but I hurt myself enough times doing other stupid **** (see other threads for details, I believe I posted in the disease and conditions thread) when I was younger to warrant my family members and loved ones to worry. They get it and understand it more than those I don't talk to on a regular basis. But I completely agree with the hype as it's directed at the inexperienced and those who doubt the conditions, shouldn't go out. Like Zach was saying, we're out there with a huge flotation device. Another good rule of thumb, if you can't swim in from where you're surfing without your board, don't even bother going out.

And SteveO, just stop being arrogant. The purpose of this thread was not to talk about the dangers of rips or the lack thereof. It was just to see if any other experienced surfers/water goers here on the forums have had to hear about the dangers of the water just because it's summer time. I've been out in much more treacherous conditions in the winters of past and just gotten a "be careful" from those whom know I surf. Its the summer/news/storm season hype associated with the excess caution some people are exhibiting. It's the east coast, NJ specifically where I would bet money on a lot of people not being able to swim entirely. It's not hawaii where everyone and their mother is a water expert, but maybe everyone in your family is a water expert and stands on firm enough ground to "judge" your surfing and water abilities. I'm going to refer to you as the bethany beach pro from here on out because you seem so confident in your abilities over others.

Sniffer, very true. My girl who moved here from Manahawkin was just complaining about how everyone dresses here in marlton compared to where she used to live. She's used to that laid back beach lifestyle whereas here in marlton everyone dresses like their high society and their sh!t don't stank. It was kinda funny yesterday, we stopped in primos for lunch and a woman walked in all dressed up and my girl says out loud without evening thinking "who wears 6 inch wedge heels" to a hoagie shop?! like what is this I'm used to being a beach bum in flip flops" and I lost it. I think she was just thinking aloud but I couldn't help but crack up. And if you're referring to that crappy skate shop BBC-Bad Boys Club near fridays and the movie theater, that place went out of business a few years back. Lack of sales combined with the fact the owner was a complete pervert and tried to feel up youngins

17. NJ glide

NJ glide Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013

l'm screwed.

l'm gonna go to jail and l'll pay, and Johnny Utah gets his guy. Right?

Good for you. That's real good.

You're gonna be a big hero now.

But look at it, Johnny. Look at it!

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, man.

Just let me go out there, let me get one wave before you take me. One wave.

Where am l gonna go, man?

Cliffs on both side. l'm not gonna paddle to New Zealand!

My whole life has been about this moment, Johnny.

Come on, compadre.

Come on.

COME ON!

Via con Dios!

What the ****, Utah?

You let him go!

No, l didn't.

No way! The guy's nuts.

We'll get him when he comes back in.

He's not coming back.

18. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    hope he at least had 350 worth of fun and laughs.

19. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    well timed...

20. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Someone made a video during Sandy I think up in Jersey. It was a bunch of 15 year olds or so. But they videoed the whole thing. They rolled film and 3 of them just sprinted past all the cops that were down a block, paddled out. They each got about one wave as the cops all waved them in. Then they all got ticketed.

It was funny, but stupid. The kids were all like, "Yeah dudes, were about to get tickets. Watch this".... I mean, if they really wanted waves, they should have gone up the way a bit.