Heavily used hypto krypto

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by surf05, Jul 19, 2014.

1. surf05

surf05 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    I was in a shop today and found a used hypto krypto for $250. I can't tell if it's very underpriced, or completely worthless. It's pretty yellow (I've never seen a yellow hayden future flex so it makes me think there's something wrong) and a lot of the carbon fiber border is misshapen and unevenly colored (light gray in some places, black in others). Other than a few mysterious dark lines/blotches (possible water damage?) in an isolated area on the bottom though, that's all that I could find wrong with it. It's pretty gross aesthetically, but I think the board is definitely ridable for now.

My only concern is that I'd be spending $250 just because of the haydenshapes logo on something that could become worthless very quickly. I feel like I could flip it later on, but it has a pink traction pad and some of the discoloration would probably turn most people away... Do you guys think I should go ahead and grab it or is it too risky for even 250?

2. B2Bomber

B2Bomber Active Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Doesnt sound good. Anything decent is gonna be around 400. I dont think any one would sell a hypto for 250 unless it was garbage.

3. surf05

surf05 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    the only reason I have hope is because it's in a pretty kooky shop. i dont think any of the employees actually surf let alone know what a haydenshapes is worth

4. Southsidesurfer

Southsidesurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    So that gives you hope? That would turn me away real quick, IMO.

5. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    $250 for a board that looks heavily used with water damage and messed up carbon fiber sounds like a pass to me. If the shop is asking $250 then most likely somebody was willing to part with it for less than $200. Not very incouraging.

6. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Tell them you'll give them 100 clams for it, see what they say.

7. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Take a pic...some of what you describe us no big deal (for example the yellowing)...the other parts of the description Are hard to determine exactly what's wrong. Also, how pressure dented is the deck?

8. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    sounds like a pos...I wouldn't touch it

9. Hayduke Lives

Hayduke Lives Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    asking if spending 250 on something heavily used is the same as asking if 750 is worth it for a new one.

If you have to ask, its not worth it.

10. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I've owned a few epoxy boards and even the most well used one was still in good shape after several years. For that hypto to be in that bad a shape, the owner didn't just not take care of it...they abused it.

11. surf05

surf05 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    yeah sorry i didn't think to take one while i was down there. but i looked at the carbon fiber on another futureflex board and it looked just as weird, i guess the discoloration and separation on the rails is normal? but it's not pressure dented too bad, just about the same as your average used board. and the dark spot doesn't even look like water damage, idk what it is to be honest. it looks kinda like someone used a pen to draw squiggly lines in a little 5 inch x 5 inch space, except it's right under the glass. other than that i think the cheap price is due to an ugly traction pad replacement, and the shop employees not knowing how much it could be worth (assuming it's ridable).