looking for a surfer friend

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by John Ravert, Jul 23, 2014.

1. John Ravert

John Ravert Member

Jun 9, 2013
    I've been surfing by myself since I was 14. I'm now 31 and have yet to make friends with any surfers, partly because I surf in Margate, NJ not known for the best conditions. I'm out most weekend mornings around 7:00AM and try to catch a few rides before the wind picks up. It's lonely out there so I'd enjoy some company, especially since I'm a bit of a talker. This approach may be a lame attempt but I figure I would ask around, see if anyone wants to share some rides. My only surfing network connection is my father's, cousin's husband who lives near San Clemente, CA. My best surf sessions ever have been hearing his stories of Malibu and San Onofre back in the early 60's. Once a year we get together, but other than that, it's me and the empty ocean.
    Couple details:
    Intermediate level
    Ride a 9'4" or a 6'2" depending on conditions
    Usually paddle out at Rumson or Thurlow ave.
    Not soliciting for anything other than a good dude to share some surf stories while waiting for a wave.

2. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    do u do drugs?do u bang hindus?do u knock out 65yr old dog owners?these are the real questions people want answered.margate is too far for me,try migrating to ocean city

3. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    it puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again.

4. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    027.jpg

I only go out when it looks like dis.notice how im all alone.nothing wrong with dat,im a kook so I try to keep my kookieness to myself

5. PaleRider

PaleRider Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I'm down, just don't ask me to get in your van.

6. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    margate is the beesknees. And it has a ton of great breaks nearby to choose form. I roll with a pretty serious pack in ACNJ. Margate has pretty serious $$

7. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    This is quite the introduction. To the OP, not sure how you have been surfing for 16 years in New Jersey and don't know anyone to surf with, but good luck to you. This post will most likely go viral soon.

8. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Careful what you wish for John Ravert. You might get more than you bargained for. Be thankful you have lonely empty peaks. It's what I pray for every time I head out, some days it works out that way, some days it's like a bus load of kids get dropped off for a field trip.

9. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Hmm, surfing all that time and no close friends that surf? I moved to Maryland 13 years ago and know virtually everyone at my local breaks, in the shops etc and have made some really good friends out of the crowd. I'm a jabberer as well but more of a self conscious one. When I get the vibe that I'm getting annoying I "try" to dial it back a bit. Maybe you need to dial it back a bit. Also showing up at the same spots every swell for years people can't help but acknowledge you, even the most stubborn people, but working yourself into the crowd can take years. Feel for ya but it's not uncommon for better surfers to fail to acknowledge people with less skill. Not saying better surfers won't say hello or be friendly, just won't reach out and invite you in as readily as surfers lower down the pecking order. You could paddle out on any particular day at my home beach and find 10 people that would be thrilled to have a buddy, surprised it's not like that in Margate.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  10. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    You should keep it that way, spark plug.

11. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
  12. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Have you ever surfed Belmar, NJ... Lots of ppl to be friends with there...

13. Ryan7

Ryan7 Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

My Buddy is a real pal. Never drops in on me and he's always watching my back. Most of the time he just kind of sits there on the beach, but I like it that way. You'll find one soon. Good luck.

Ryan

14. Hanaebu

Hanaebu Active Member

May 25, 2009
    Not sure what you're complaining about. The ocean and just you on a good day? Sounds like a perfect scenario. But in regard to your request. How is it that you don't know anyone in the lineup in Margate? If you're looking to meet people and not having luck there, head over to the Ventnor Pier. Lot's of folks and most of them friendly. Or, hit up States/NJ Ave in AC. The AC Surf School is there and there's a bunch of friendly instructors and locals always hanging around. But again, I question why you haven't met anyone as of yet if you're out a lot and have been surfing for 17 years.

15. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  16. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I think I know that dude

17. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    You gotta reach out. Some people are agro-leave me alone. Some will wave. Some will chat and go have a burger afterwards. I agree with everyone else that you probably need to hit up somebody close to your skill level.
    or teach one of your non-surfing friends how.

18. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    This is actually good advise. I have some less welcoming friends that say they might have to stop surfing with me because I am a magnet for every person out there. It doesn't matter how off putting I think I'm being in the water everyone thinks I'm their best bud, lol. It would be nice to be just me and the empty ocean sometimes.

19. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Hey brotot,
    I've learned throughout my 3 or so years that I have been surfing is that you need to talk to people in the lineup. I started talking to this kid at a local ESA contest last weekend and you never woulda known that he has such cool stories to share and would like to know some about you too.

20. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Oh, well, basically what he said.