The CrossBo redefines surfboard transportation

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by betaylor, Aug 5, 2014.

Are you interested in purchasing the CrossBo?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2014.
  1. Very interested!

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Somewhat interested.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. No opinion.

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Not at all.

28 vote(s)
    82.4%
  1. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Break out the noose and riot gear its time for a kook hangin'!!!!!! YEEEEEHAWWWWWW

2. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    the only cars ive hard is a truck and a jeep and both can fix surfboard with out a roof rack...i will never buy a vechical that needs a rack...next i will buy a f150...is there a roof rack i can buy from a f150? because that would look super cool then everyone would know how hardcore i am.

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Many good posts here but this one from the shadows made me smile.

I voted yes in hopes of keeping the OP around for a few more pages :cool:

4. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Yeah I think me ripping into him right off the bat then other jumping on too may have made him run home and take a shower while curled up in the fetal position crying. In our defense though this is a really big waste of money when tie down straps are so cheap.

To the OP don't try and fix what ain't broke son!!!!

5. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Oh fark yeah...dude's just trying to cash in on us, F dat noise!

6. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Poor feller even deleted his sad post:(

Hey lee what are your cats doing to your Christmas tree stand?

7. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    What was his sad post? I must have missed that one.

8. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Oh dude it was one of those 'Ok then, thanks guys' deals...coulda sworn I saw it there yesterday afternoon...nothing great like a good-bye post, but it smelled of butt hurt.

9. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    Oh yeah I recall seeing something like that too. Something like 'thanks for those who gave constructive advice' or some crap like that.

10. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I saw his "thanks for the feedback" post. I didnt really think that the guy was a schemer. I think he honestly believes in his product but a lot of people who go into the "invention" biz sometimes get caught up in their own idea, which might be pretty good, and that's where they stop. He probably would have had a better response if there was some adjustability to the design, for say more boards or wider boards.
    But in the end, you can't beat the tie down method and that's why we have not seen any new systems for it. Kinda like the umbrella.

11. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    A buddy of mine in San Diego made a surf invention. It was basically a "changing station" for post surf. It was like a plastic tub/box that you put water in and stand in it while you change out of your suit. He was selling them for like $100. It was basically like a $5 rubber made tub. I said, who do you expect to buy that? He said "Asian People, they are super tidy and apparently they have these kinds of things in Japan".... Okay my dude. Okay.....

12. betaylor

betaylor New Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Yup. I'll reply to that.

First off. Sorry for posting my idea to your forum guys. My bad. I was just trying to get the word out, but don't really know how. I'm an engineer. So don't know much about marketing and building a brand (trying to learn!). I apologize.

Second, I really didn't expect all of the truly useful (but sometimes condescending) feedback. However, I do appreciate it. My story began about a year ago when I started looking into passive income and stumbled across The 4-hour Workweek written by Tim Ferris. That book basically lays out how to create a new product, and he stresses testing any product before spending too much money on it. This is why I really do appreciate the honest feedback. Knowing that a product will not succeed before investing in it is a good thing! I'm sure the success or failure of my Kickstarter campaign will reveal this for the CrossBo.

To respond to the existing products discussion. There are products available that replace the basic straps. Here are some examples:

http://www.innoracks.com/product/water/surf/
    http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...-double-decker-surfboard-carrier-809-_-809999

So there is some market for this stuff. Maybe a small one though...

As for my surfing abilities... yes if you're a pro-surfer you can probably call me a kook. Been surfing since I moved to L.A. from Michigan 2006. Moved to Seattle and lived there for almost 3 years struggling to find nearby waves, so didn't make much progress. But then ended up back in MI where I surfed Lake Michigan for a little over a year and loved it. Wish I would've known people were surfing the lakes when I was growing up! Now I'm in San Diego, and make it out to once or twice a month (spending too much time trying to develop products with kids, house and a family too!). All-in-all, been surfing for 8 years. Everyone had to start surfing sometime, so I'm sure you all know where I'm at.

Anyway, thank again and very sorry for disrupting your forum.

13. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    ^^^Listen to this guy man, no reason for you to bail. This is a fine think tank and might help your R&D. You should at least stay to see some of Bill's posts. My name is Ben too.

I have a small pickup, so I haven't had to fret about racks in a while, but I do like the product name..the CrossBo.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  14. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    Like Gaff said don't leave so soon. We are just giving you advice wih a side oh sh!t my man. I think our beef is your first post here is to get us to help fund your idea which turns out to be another device that only a surfer with too much damn money to blow would ever buy. Evidence of that is in the links you posted to similar products. You say you been surfing since 2006, I've been surfing since 1992 and I have only ever seen one guy with those Thule strap down things and he had them on racks sitting on top of a $72,000 Mercedes. 99.999999999% of surfers will not blow this much coin on something that is really not needed to begin with since the traditonal way works fine.

15. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    rcarter nice avatar!

16. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    I just throw my sh*t in the front seat...all the way back. multiple boards..

17. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I like the concept but agree that getting your board to and from the beach has never been an issue for me. If it was cheaper than straps, it might be worth it, but I still stick my board in my car, never strap it, never.

18. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i love this place

19. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    I though you might like that!

True I should say that is East Coast based stats from my experience only. Not to be used as scientific fact!