Without fail my calves always cramp up

Discussion in 'Global Bodyboarding Talk' started by Amanzi, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Amanzi

Amanzi Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I've tried hydrating the night before or in the wee hours before I head out, but always they turn to rocks within the first hour and I just deal with it, until the thighs start cramping also. Does anyone else have that problem. I'm thinking its my fins because the way I swim im only giving short bursts.
    When the break is closer to the beach and I can stand I never cramp up.
    Any insight would be appreciated because its a drag to have to get out of the water to stretch while the sets are pouring in.

2. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I've never bodyboarded, but I get calve cramps if I don't stretch them real good before a surf sesh...I now stretch everything before I go out and it helps a lot.

3. all4blues

all4blues Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Fins are probably too small. Try some different ones.

4. Amanzi

Amanzi Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Yeah, Now that I think of it, I live 2hrs from a decent break, so when it's good we drive out real early, so I'm sitting on my duff all that time and then charge right in the second we get there. Probably doing 10min of some leg stretches might help. Also, I've been reading some I these other threads, maybe looking into some different fins based on my swimming strengths could be an option.
    Just wanna be ready if that invest 91 hits.

5. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Instead of just kicking, when heading out to the lineup, paddle while doing a very soft kick. I know a lot of bodyboarders don't do this but it works really well for me... Takes a lot of stress off legs.. I only bodyboard on a select few days but when I do bodyboard, I switch off stand up and prone (depends on the wave) and I don't wear fins. No sore legs here, no sore arms either.

6. Amanzi

Amanzi Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Yeah I paddle all the time for that very reason, plus if the waves are big I need that much more
    Propulsion. I'm kinda wondering if could be a vitamin deficiency or lactic acid thing. Probably just a little research is what I need to do.

7. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I paddle out yo the line-up and kick to catch waves...also cramp occasionally but I stretch, hydrate, and eat a banana or avo before I sesh.

8. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
  9. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Sorry, it's so hard to post from the New HD kindle fire kfc7s.

10. titsandpits

titsandpits Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
  11. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I cramp in the legs when I surf. I don't think anyone is immune. The older I get the more it happens. Just hydrate eat bananas and stretch. It's helped me.

12. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Bros, drinking fluids til you puss clear every half hour at least before a sesh is key. This hydration begins many hours before the sesh. Coconut water is ideal, as are bananas and peanuts/cashews. Electrolytes bros. Drink your Brawndo.

FYI the Carver is unreal for surf-specific calf development and endurance. If anything, it's exploded both my calves in size not to mention making my back foot calf noticeably bigger. The only times my calves get right in a surf sesh is several hours in and if I don't make good attempts to rehydrate in between breaks. My opinion is that cramping is not so much localized and more indicative of full-body dehydration.

13. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    I like to drink Vitamin Water. It's packed with electrolytes, tastes great, and doesn't explode your mouth with fruit like other energy drinks.. Great advice, Emass.

14. Iggy

Iggy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I always drink coconut water, eat a banana, take a tablespoon of honey, and take 1000mg of magnesium a half hour to an hour before I head out. I also do lots of strecting. This seems to help reduce cramping.

15. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    STRETCH!!!

I use a foam roller before I leave my house. Look it up on amazon, they're about $20 and worth every penny. Its kind of like rolling out pizza dough. There is a thin connective tissue around your muscles that needs to loosen up before your entire muscle can loosen up. I'm not a physical therapist but I can tell you that it works very well for me.

16. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i love how a calf cramp can paralyze your entire body

17. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    I get shin and toe cramps. They'll cripple you-- you cannot walk and you cannot stretch them out without sending your calf and foot into cramps.

You could have a B12 problem, the most missed diagnosis is B12 problems. Some people's body cannot absorb it from food, they Have to get injections.

You don't say how old you are. Older people get cramps.

Like Emass said, drink enough so your pee is clear. I hydrate the day before. Then wake up drink at least 16-20 oz water. On way down 45 min drive I drink another 20 oz water. Then 20 oz Gatorade on the beach. Then, stop and hydrate every 45-60 minutes while sunscreening. Of course, though, it's Florida and thr water is 85, air is 90-- can easily dehydrate.

It's also the fins I bet. Had to stop using fins for lap swimming as I aged. They'd send my feet and legs into horrible cramps quickly. Try surfing?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  18. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Stay off your knees when you're in the windowless white van & that may help.

(ok, that was a jk; happy sunday all you pious sinners)

19. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    hip flexors my problem when straddling between long breaks between sets...

i dunno, you do any exercises on land/pool that cause the same thing? if you're able to find the cause (other than whatever else it is) you might be able to address it with better muscle strengthening/conditioning doing said activity and like Emass said, hydration and stretching...

if this is a body boarding thing, chances are you're probably not very good at kicking, using too much knees and not nearly enough glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, core balance, and quads - we covered this in Kander29's last post thread....

20. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    cramps are an electrolyte issue I think, not only found in brawndo (its what plants crave), but lotsa potassium in bananas

staying hydrated is only half the battle, gotta keep the electrolytes/salts you sweat out

also it could be that you are just a weak human and should stick to sewing?