surfnewb is headed to Bali Oct 3- 19

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by surfnewb, Sep 8, 2014.

Tags:
  1. surfnewb

surfnewb Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Summer vacay didn't work out with work so I saved the vacation days and booked this epic trip, that and I had to promise the gf that it won't be a "surf trip"...little does she know

Anybody been? Any tips? Do I need a car while there? I heard shrooms are legal there?

What's a nice mellow break that wont kill me? Sandy bottom would be preferred, hah, although I do have some experience getting cut on coral in Hawaii. I'll obviously stay away from Padang Padang, Impossibles & Dreamland, too young to die.

Going to buy a board while I am there too..know any shops that wont rip off a kook?
    Apparently Philippine Airlines only charge $25, although I'll have to call and double check.

I'm so ****ing stoked.

2. Speed Bump

Speed Bump Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    #1 tip:
    Do not take your woman to Indo.

3. surfnewb

Dec 21, 2013
    I need some clarification on that..reason?

4. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    I see this going poorly for you. You convinced her that it's not a surf trip, yet you plan to buy a board while there. She's going to see right through this thin veil you've weaved.

Girlfriends are excellent at ruining any situation that should otherwise be amazing for very minor reasons. Vacations in Bali included.

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Shrooms are legal on the sovereign territory that is my backyard. Godspeed on your trip.

You will find some of the most potent Copelandia species in that region, be careful, I'm talking like making entire buildings change color potent.

6. surfnewb

Dec 21, 2013

Let me clarify...she knows I am going to surf a lot and that I plan on buying a board, she's actually excited that I finally decided to get my own board instead of renting. She's ok with it as long as we do other activities on the trip. She just doesn't want the entire trip to be about surfing, if I surf for 2-3 hours a day she wont care.

7. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    If you're gonna bring her, and she don't surf, just respect that. Trust me, I'm a married dude, and I have learned the HARD way. Besides, there's only so much surfing you can do in a day. Get your fix in early in the day for a couple hours, then it's Bintang and tourist time. Buy her shiny stuff. All girls like shiny things...They are like fish, they are hopelessly attracted to that kinda s h i t. Tell her she looks pretty for no reason and pick her a flower or something on the hike back from surfing. You'll get jiggy during down times, and she will have no probs letting you surf. I am the king of this, MAN. Trust me.

8. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    surfnewb, for us to give you any decent and accurate response here we will need to see some pics of your girl. Just how it is bro.

9. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    actually impossibles is where all the surf schools are on the bukit so I would start there for sure and you really do have to make the paddle thru the cave at uluwatu just for the experience - u wont regret it - stay away from the shrooms and skygarden nothing but trouble - go to ubud with the chicky she be stoked - where are you staying ? whitemonkey surf shop for boards

10. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I dont understand you, your going to indo where all the Hindus are and you bring your girl???? Dude do you even bang Hindus bro? What's a matter with you man... I don't even understand it. You should dump her then go bang Hindu better yet go by yourself and cheat on her then come back and bang her . So you get double the action. But once you go Hindu every other women will offend you.

11. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    it not the hindus u bangn its the Javanese muslim chicks that will take every dime u got - better off bangn all the tourist chicks on holiday - its a free for all - single fin on sunday arvo - u will find out if you still think your girl is hot

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  12. surfnewb

Dec 21, 2013
    She wants to learn (She was able to get up in Costa, so I am hoping she'll keep at it), I'm actually going to buy her a rashguard as a gift before the trip.

Good advice though, thanks

13. surfnewb

Dec 21, 2013
    Hah, I doubt that will be a problem. But thanks for your concern

14. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    where are you staying - I have family there - and look into worldnomads.com for travel insurance its a great deal and cheap for what u get

15. surfnewb

Dec 21, 2013
    We don't know yet, we just bought the plane tickets 2 days ago. Flying through Manila, going to be in Manila for the day before flying in the evening to Bali (14 hours to be exact, just enough time to relax at a spa from the long flight). Then on the way back we're going to be in Manila for another day and a half.

I think we might check out the Hanging Garden's hotel if just for a night or two, but besides that probably some regular hotels with clean beds. Any hotels/places you'd recommend to stay at/see.

Thanks for the insurance link..$130 is not bad for 2 weeks. I'll check what my VISA and work insurance covers first though, maybe I wont need it.

16. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    easy guys...

17. surfnewb

Dec 21, 2013
    Nice, thanks. Any personal instructors you'd recommend?

18. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    get in touch with this driver - he a good friend of mine his name is gede - dinogland_bali@yahoo.co.id - he can pick you up at the airport and take you wherever you need to go along with clueing you in on all you need to know without ripping you off - he advertises on thewavecaster.com site - as far as a place to stay I would say satria bungalows would be good on the bukit - close to uluwatu and padang - how are u and ur girl on a scooter ? gotta be careful there I have seen things go bad quick - that's why I recommend a driver. check satria bungalows for sure cheap and clean with good people running it - the family actually have something to do with running the uluwatu temple too. pm me for any other info and I can get more specific
    also it may take gede a week to get back to you as they went to gland yesterday to catch a swell there.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  19. surfnewb

Dec 21, 2013

pmed you

20. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    This 1,000,000+, listen to Blasters. This has to be considered for Post of the Year!