Your duck dive is going to fail. now what?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by worsey, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Are you calling me a chicken romancer? For your info, I only romance them with my lips and teeth when they are cooked and slather with sauce!

2. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Haha, no, that was directed at David Koresh and his farm full of chicken sex-minions.

3. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I know, just messin wit ya!

4. Squidlips

Squidlips Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thank you.

I will search for the rack thread mentioned, haven't seen it.

5. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    If you practice your duck diving patterns, this will never happen.

To it's thier own.

6. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Tried out some leash grabbing tonight while on the inside at low tide in waist deep water after getting rides. It's a risky situation. I tried it a bunch of different ways like you guys are talking about on the velcro, and I have no idea how dangerous that would be doing it in gnar. These waves were 4ft with plus sets just over that and they were not very punchy, even on the inside breaking on a few feet of water. Still, the fins were shotting up at me and so were rails. I'm sticking with duck-diving, as I always have. The question is what to do when you're already off your board, it's several feet away and that DOH cleanup is coming in at a swift long-period pace...

7. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    i covered that with post 95 (this thread) number 4.
    this advice is for advanced surfers.
    an issue few or none on this forum have noticed.

8. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Thanks bro, good reminder. I'd seen that post prior and thought it was a good one. I did try this out last night, at least grabbing further down on the main rubber part of the leash. Just to see what it would be like at different points before and during the spin hits. To be honest with you bro, a smooth surface (leash) that's wet and getting yanked through the grip of your fairly smooth hand (we aren't reptiles now) is not a recipe for success. Not doubting you've found a way to make it work, just would like further deets on it please. As it stands, if I don't see this working in a wave with 250 kJ of power, I've got no clue how it can work in 10,000 kJ of power in S. Africa or Chile.

Trying to be a hands-on learner and experimenter here. Just not seeing any viable option other than holding my board without fail through DD's and thrashings on the way out back. I do love how easy diving under the wave is, just hate that feeling of liberation when the leash snaps. You go looking for the pull on your ankle when moving your leg to feel the opposition of the foam to being submerged, but just can't find it. Not a good feeling on a gnarly day. How many leashes have you cats broken from not holding into your board in heavy conditions? 2 for me. One on 2/14 in a Nor'Easter swell (schitt, I introduce you to fan) and the other recently during Bertha on the major Wednesday swell.

9. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    this.....is what we must avoid. cause when it snaps you've entered another realm of greater danger to
    ones' self and others.

ever slide down a black hole unwillingly? imagine being under a 10footer, holding your leash, and being
    dragged rapidly forward unable to stop....or do anything. happens all the time though less so on the east
    coast. in this situation it is paramount to hold on and NOT BREAK leash/board/body...so grabbing and
    holding (complete w/not breaking) is the way to go and the 'slip-down' technique w/respect to holding
    the leash should provide the necessary "cushion"...wrapping the leash around ones' hand is done...but
    suffice to say this not exactly safe...but do-able. many underwater leash grab/holds are double-handed.

the leash is one of our less respected pieces of equipment yet sometimes what it can do for us astounds.

10. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    JOB two board ditch at 1:10...weak sauce.

[video=vimeo;105583779]http://vimeo.com/105583779[/video]

11. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    sick, mental, jesus f'ing christ, badazz..... I can't pick the right word.

12. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Just thinking about the mechanics involved in paddling out on 2 boards, standing up on the foam top while slowly paddling...in front of a BOMB, sinking the tail so it shoots up and fwd, tossing SB over white water, taking a decent dive under a monster wedge wave, and not dying in the process makes my head spin. ....then he actually makes the takeoff and board switch. Sheesh.

13. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Disheartening for mortals like us.

14. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    incredibly skilled surfer though he is, this video is conclusive proof that JOB is still a kook. & catch surf is a kook company for encouraging him in his kookiness.

evidence:
    1. double board ditch (1:10 mark)
    2. single board ditch (1:35 mark)
    3. abandons foam board to go ping ponging through the inside (2:00 mark)

15. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Yeah man, he should do that sh!t at keiki. Definitely some safety issues with that behavior.

16. ZombieSurfer

ZombieSurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
  17. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    in our own ways, you bet. but some people's kookiness is more dangerous than others.

i'm just cranky b/c the wind has been completely **** for the last several days & all i want to do is go for a surf.

18. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
  19. ZombieSurfer

ZombieSurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    dude I totally feel you... work has sucked the past two weeks and I just want to get some waves to get away from the bs of everyday life. Haven't seen anything worth making the hour drive for though. Sucks so much when there's waves and just consistent steady onshores the whole time...

20. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    I got two waves Tuesday night, bought me peace of mind until today.