Can I surf with a broken toe?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by zeech, Sep 22, 2014.

1. NJ glide

NJ glide Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    I love that movie.....Couldnt have picked a better scene for this thread.

2. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    yes. done it before, a few times. nothing you can do about a broken toe anyway.
    i'd say if it's completely smashed (like bones are crushed), you're done for a while. if not, tape it to it's neighbor toe and ride a longboard.

3. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Oh, I didn't read this before my reply. You must have smashed your s h i t properly. Stay out of the water, let it heal, and then stick to your tow rehab exercises. You know, like toe curls, toe circles, toe stretches and what not. Your toe will come back stronger and faster than ever!

4. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    try that; if it doesn't work theres' always drop-knee.....

5. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    It stayed swollen and black for about a week. It broke towards the ball of my foot, not at the middle joint. Don't know if that is worse or not, but you can break it in either place. After a few days, I could put a decent amount of pressure on it. I just walked with a slight limp for a couple of days from putting all my weight on the outside edge of my foot. I would walk to the beach barefoot because flip flops caused a decent amount of pain just because you flex that big toe as you walk to keep them on your feet. A small, in consequential thing most of the time, but something very painful if its broken.

Yes, you can do the "buddy taping" thing. Doubt it would work while you surf. And I never did that, simply because the toe next to it was broken too. Go figure. Not much they do though for it. Its just heals. Eventually. I was just too active, so I know it never fully healed to its potential.

Honestly, just long board for a couple of months and you wont even notice it. As long as you aren't laying down heavy front side bottom turns and landing steep airs, you will be fine.

Not a big deal injury to me. Annoying, but whatever.

6. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    If you can't stand on your board to surf, you can always lie down on it. I know, it feels so Dorky to do that, but at least you're in water.

A few months ago standing became impossible for a few weeks. So I surfed lying down on the longboard. It was better than not going out, once I swallowed my pride.

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I break my foot off in Fran Drescher's ass about every fortnight or so, and still surf like a banshee, ergo a broken toe shouldn't stop anyone.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  8. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Welcome back old chap.

9. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    It's definitely a fat kid's toe today and I'm totally limping on outside of foot. It's green by now too on the bruising - I heal fast. Expecting to hit it twice a day on something accidentally. Guess I'll have to really be cautious of it. I don't like the fact that it can easily rebreak, but whatever. The bed sheets even aggravate it. Anything is better than those torn intercostals though.

If tape won't work maybe I'll just glue them together with second skin. The web feature may add a tenth of mph to my kick.

Longboard? Breh, you forget who you're talking to? It's against my religion. Wasn't even stoked on 25 rides in an hour two weeks ago on the 7'7. Maybe it's because I can't go pa pa pa wapahhh on the longer boards yet but stokeless is stokeless!

Again, could be worse - like if I were laid up in Galveston after a hard shott to the chest-bone...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  10. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yank what's crackin!

11. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    D-SUP, what is the word?!

12. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Just counting the days down till I can turn my phone off, take my shirt off, drink liquor from a coconut, and jump in the soothing Caribbean waters my friend

13. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    That's the equation for good-good-goodness, amigo. Sweet as...

14. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    What do we have here, the second coming of RIsurfer + livesurffish ??

15. misfit27

misfit27 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Second skin won't hold two toes together and you really need the bracing effect of the tape anyway. Simple duct tape. When it comes on, go put on some more. Tramadol is good for pain (and gives that peaceful easy feelin', but be careful. It's addictive and after a short period, the high will mostly just feel like you have a stuffy head and the remnants of a headache. Are you taking an NSAID? You should be on prescription dose of naproxin or ibuprofen - make sure to take them with food, they can do serious stomach damage. Feel better.

16. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Bro I was kidding bout gluing them. Yes I've been pounding Aleve.

17. zeech

zeech Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Yes I am aware of the dangers of Tramadol, I had it with another surgery. Dr. said 3 times a day but I'm just taking it once a day with Aleve to supplement. The thing is the pain has gotten a lot better and I really can't believe it's going to be 6-8 weeks. Seems overkill.

18. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Doctors often overshoots the time frame zeech. And everyone heals at different speeds. ... Just use your best judgment on the toe.

19. misfit27

misfit27 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Dude, the things I've heard my patients think/try make someone using second skin to heal a fracture sound downright reasonable. Glad you're going easy on the Tramadol. Make sure you're taking that Naproxen with food. It can destroy your stomach. If you're taking it long term, you may want to take Prevacid or the generic.