Boards in PR

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by jacksurfs, Apr 13, 2014.

1. jacksurfs

jacksurfs New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Taking a trip down to pr soon and have no idea about my board situation.
    Since you obviously can't rent any board worth more than $50 should i try to fly a couple sticks down there or buy one/then sell it back when i leave?

Any experiences? /advice

2. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    if it turns on you're going to want the right equipment which is your standard sb + step-up.
    my advice is suck-it-up $-wise and fly down with your boards.

3. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
  4. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I had the 6'2" id# GR10-1438-01 when I was there in November... it's one of Hendrick's (one of their shapers) personal board. It worked excellent in everything from well over DOH to chest high and fun. Just bring your own fins 'cause they only provide plastics with the boards.

5. davincimoon

davincimoon Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Plenty of gringos and plenty of boards... Now if ur going to the Dominican Republic that's a different story.

6. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I would bring a bigger board, that you could ride any size wave with.

the better wave season in PR is coming to an end this time of year... there will still be great waves, probably just not huge waves... that being said- I would take a board with some beef on it- that you could ride smaller waves with and still ride a large swell, if it comes...

There are plenty of places to rent boards from in the Rincon area- if that's where your heading... otherwise im not sure about rentals. its probably 20 bucks a day or something like that to rent, and at least 200 to fly (on major airlines- spirit air is cheaper)

7. Arc1

Arc1 Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Depends some on how long you'll be there of course, but plenty of places to rent with good selection, especially now that spring breakers are gone. If Rincon, I suggest Mar Azul. Plenty of selection, can switch according to conditions, and nobody knows his stuff like Bob. He is legit.

8. Dawn_Patrol

Dawn_Patrol Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Plenty of good boards for rent in the Rincon/Aguadilla area. $100/wk will get you shortboards, fishes and longboards. Try Bobby at Mar Azul surf shop up on top of the hill in Rincon.

9. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    +1 for Mar Azul, good peoples

10. sharknado

sharknado Active Member

Jul 16, 2013
    When I was there in February, Bobby's price was 25 a day/150 a week and you could swap out boards depending on the swell. If you're in Rincon for a week or less its a decent deal for a decent selection of boards. In Aquadilla, try Surf Zone (don;t know the prices).

11. dudeclimbing

dudeclimbing Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    I tried a ton of stuff from mar azul in rincon as well. Bobby has the good stuff as well as surf zone and surf town. Need a guide look up Ramses morales. Bobby also has 2 studio apts for rent at good rates.

12. 15stwr

15stwr Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    +1 on Mar Azul. No need to bring boards, especially if you are flying US Air.

13. pickles

pickles Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2014
    +1 on Mar Azul, good selection and knowledgable friendly guy

14. SJerzSrfr

SJerzSrfr Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    has anyone stayed at the villa/studio apartment at Mar Azul? Looking for a spot to stay with the wife. seems pretty solid and relatively cheap. thoughts?

15. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Plenty of quality boards for rent at Green Room....shortboards, longboards, etc and you can switch them out each day depending on the swell and what they have in stock. I think it's $25 a day. Better than Mar Azul I think.
    Near Puntas Bakery.

16. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I've stayed with Bobby and Raquel at Mar Azul twice and will be for my 3rd time next month. They are great people and the villa is more than sufficient. I've recommended them to tons of people and everybody has had the same experience. You and the wife will be stoked.

It's not a very spacious accommodation, but if you are looking for a clean place, with a bed, couch, sink, mini fridge, microwave, table and stools, flat screen TV w/Satellite, A/C, closet with mirror, shower, toilet, etc., then it will do the trick. If you want more of a resort type experience then I would recommend Villa Cofresi.

As for board rentals and such, he's got tons of options, he has just about any type of board you are looking for, plus he has other accessories and things too. If you are staying with him, there is a chance he'll let you borrow any board you want for free (don't quote me on that, but he has for me). If it's long board waves grab the LB, if it's big and beautiful, grab the HPSB, or if you just want to go for a stroll, he's got SUP's too.

PM me if you have any questions.

17. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013

18. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012

19. zonedoner

zonedoner New Member

May 23, 2016
    at surf shop mar azul in rincon they rent new eboxys and pollys short, long, and fun about 25-50$ a day they have lost board firewires and haydens if your looking for performance. i was surprised to see such nice boards for rent.

20. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    +1