Were U ever Regulated in Lineup?

Discussion in 'USA Mainland Surf Forum' started by MFitz73, Oct 1, 2014.

1. matilda

matilda Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I got chased out of Lake Worth back in '88. Had just moved to Florida and was cruising the coast for waves. Stumbled upon Lake Worth and paddled out. Talked to a few guys out there and they were cool, but I paddled for this one wave and out of the corner of my eye I saw someone else had caught it so I pulled back. Dude paddles back out and starts yelling at me for almost catching his wave and orders me to leave. I left since I was alone and new to the place.

About a month later I met this guy at work that turned out to be a local surfer at Lake Worth. He asked me to go surfing with him so I told him about my incident. He said to point the guy out the next time I saw him and he would kick his arse. Once the locals saw that I was friends with another local I was "accepted." I never did see the guy that harassed me again. He probably got chased out by a real local.

2. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    sounds like a typical story for lake worth... but lets call it by its accepted name... lake worthless.

3. matilda

matilda Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Yes, we shall. They did a nice makeover of the beach area a couple of years ago. Looks kinda upscale for Lake Worthless.

I only surfed there consistently for four years then decided I'd had enough of the BS in the water. There were other breaks nearby that picked up the North swells we typically got. Had to travel north to catch most other swell directions because of the Bahamas swell-block shadow.

4. SteveO

SteveO Active Member

Dec 4, 2013
    True story, hahahaha! The next day I got chased out of the water at Domes for 'taking too many waves.' Luckily, I was running a 4:15 mile at the time and sprinted up the trail towards El Mirador Dr. The locals said they were going to take my board. So we went to Jobos the next, and Mr. Swellinfo was asked for his tickt....just after we were getting robbed!!!! Caught some slabs that day!!!

5. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Never been regulated personally but I've been out plenty of times in OBX when Delbert was out. He looks like a mix of Paul Bunyan and Grizzly Adams. He regulates the whole lineup. Paddles out, points to everyone and says stay outta my way or I will fu(kin run your azz over. I've never seen a sober man question his instructions.

From what I hear he's actually a pretty nice guy.

6. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm loving these Lake Worth stories. In the mid 90s when I was living in Miami it was the type of place where you'd see a guy with a huge beer gut surfing in Jorts but if you made fun of him he'd bash your skull in with a lug wrench.

7. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014

and baron knowlton is a fa*ggot

8. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    why do u think that?i don't know the man personally,but seen plenty of footage and seems like a pretty good underground bigwave charger.plus he knows all the pros

9. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014

because i've surfed right next to him on several occasions and he is abusive as f*ck to everyone

for no reason

10. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    maybe u just have that look on your face

11. chuzzlewit

chuzzlewit New Member

Jun 27, 2014
    lurking here for years, the mention of Delbert drags me out into the open. he struck terror in our hearts when we were young. Is he still around? I hope so.
    He was like a mythological figure - funny but scary. i was in my teens, even being semi-regular and hanging with the new sun crew didn't get me a place in his tribal law setup - just another face in the crowd to be regulated. i would make and serve him his lunch regularly and he would stare past me, covered in sawdust and later roar at me as part of the crowd in the lineup.
    Then one time we had a huge party at our house and Delbert showed up - whispers went through the crowd "Delberts here....dude, delberts here..." eventually he wound up trading head butts and shots with a psycho "friend" of mine until they were both shotfaced and bloody. He was roaring, having a blast. Somehow he vaguely registered my face after that and I would get a nod and an almost smile - and doubtlessly more waves.

goosemagoo likes this.
  12. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    It's great that the a-holes that you describe congregate in North Ocean Beach. Keep on keepin' on, I say.
    You DC, Balto & Pennsyltucky assclowns who are Salt Life badass core shredders stay up in the north lot with your get-stuck-in-the-sand rear-wheel drive pickups.

The Place That Shall Not Be Named gets pretty cool people who nod, smile/grimace & everyone gets waves. Hell, how could you not: it's 18 miles of open ocean beach break. Most days the closest surfer is 400 yds away.

The other good thing about The Place That Shall Not Be Named is that the NPS requires a square, not round, bladed shovel in thine rig. So, if some jacklass is a total douche canoe, then that shovel, combined with sketchy to non-existent cell phone coverage out there, makes it simple to settle things if someone thinks they he owns the break.

Interesting: never had issues out there....

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  13. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Glad I could drag you out of the closet. I've mentioned him a couple of times on here and didn't get any response which kind of puzzled me. I can't imagine anyone that's ever seen him out would forget him. He's definitely a character.

He'd be out in a totally shredded spring suit in cold azz water while we were at least wearing boots if not gloves too. And by shredded I mean literally just draped over him like a mexican shawl.

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Guys, keep your secrets to yourself will ya! HAHA