Oil Spill

Discussion in 'Texas' started by natkitchen, Mar 25, 2014.

1. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Has anyone seen any oil in Freeport? Me and a buddy are heading out tomorrow. I know its in Galveston but was hoping Freeport was still good. First time I have been off and its looked semi good and a dang tanker and barge have to collide. Go figure.

2. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Don't worry, the Job Creators put that in for your convenience. It'll insulate you from everything. the ones here purposely pumped toxic coal ash into the Dan River, that feeds our water source, in order to put more arsenic in our system.

3. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014

[​IMG]

4. natkitchen

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks Chic. I feel better already. Not as worried about the oil as I am about the stuff they put in to disperse it.

5. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    the coal ash is more than arsenic; more of toxic stew.

6. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Nah dudes, oil's good, fracking's good, it's all good, our economy is what's most important.

'Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell'-EA

7. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    Duke was misrepresenting the facts about the "spill" indeed it was a broken pipe, but it was hooked up to a pump to get it over the berm and into fresh water.
    http://www.power-eng.com/articles/2...oal-ash-pond-pumping-under-investigation.html

The dispersant of choice is Corexit. It adds punch to the toxicity of the crap in the oil. No one knows what's in it. They aren't required to tell the ingredients, because they're job creators.
    http://drsircus.com/world-news/disasters/corexit-2

I loves me some seafood. but I've gotten off it (except I had a relapse Sat. and ate a founder sammich).
    It was harder than getting off cigs.

8. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
  9. natkitchen

Mar 29, 2011
    No oil out there. Choppy crap but I had fun anyway.

10. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Dispersants are all cataloged with the EPA. My last company made them, and toxicity is way lower than the oil it is treating. Most dispersants are amines and stick to the CHONS (Carbon Hydrogen Oxygen Nitrogen Sulfur) regulations. The regulations on marine use dispersant, or even fuel dispersants, are very strict.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  11. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Does that mean Gulf shrimp and other seafood from there is safe to eat? I feel like dispersing the BP oil created an out of sight, out of mind situation, rather then actually spending the time and money to clean it up properly.

12. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    mmmmmmmmmm guff skrimps!
    http://southernbeale.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/waiter-is-that-corexit-in-my-shrimp-cocktail/

there is the story about the woman who owned a restaurant on a dock next to the guff. the workers would come in after work, tracking the dispersant. she said she had a hard time scrubbing it up, and some slopped up in her mouth. she later got extremely sick, bleeding from the eyes. It is also written that the majority of workers in Alaska have died horrible deaths.
    How can they keep using Corexit? the same way Aspertame is still put in drinks and food. JOBS!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  13. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Dudes, just watch the VICE episode about the BP spill from years ago. It aired last year. It tells the truth about all this and it is NOT a good one. The biggest shrimper on the gulf coast said he had to trash like 90% of all his shrimp. On the show, this is what, 6-7 years later? The guy was picking fresh shrimp out of the water with his bare hands right on the shoreline and you could see oil dripping from every orifice of the shellfish.

I haven't watched it for a while, but it also said that BP had airspace closed over the spill for months so no one could see what they were really doing. It has multiple stories of people, kids, adults just getting deadly looking rashes and almsot dying from spending 10 minutes in the water. And this is YEARS later....

Just saying, I am the furthest thing from a conspiracy theorist, but there is no denying all this. That Corexist stuff will take paint off of a car in a few seconds. And you are correct, they are not required to list ANY ingredients in it....

I know the US is all about big oil and whatnot, but that BP thing was the clearest outright conspiracy involving our government walking hand in hand with BP through it all, looking the other way.... Just makes me sick. Regardless of who was in office or who was making the calls, we should all be ashamed of big brother on this one.

tool bags.

14. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    I know the US is all about big oil and whatnot, but that BP thing was the clearest outright conspiracy involving our government walking hand in hand with BP through it all, looking the other way.... Just makes me sick. Regardless of who was in office or who was making the calls, we should all be ashamed of big brother on this one.

tool bags.[/QUOTE]

BP (and our CIA) are largely responsible for the mess in the middle east as well!

But hey, profits are up.

15. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    The board of directors/ceo/cfo/big players/all of the above at BP should be crucified along the Gulf Coast.

16. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    On the other hand, oil spills really help cut down on that nasty Gulf wind chop.

Sorry...too soon?

17. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    There is a problem with the conspiracy BS, they don't understand dilution factor and treat rates. Dispersants are used at a PPM level. Crude oil is bad for human contact. It contains a lot of benzene, among other chemical compounds. http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/benzene/basics/facts.asp
    If you are swimming in an area loaded with crude, you are getting way too much exposure.
    There is a ton of non-conspiracy related information on Corexit. It is relatively non-toxic compared to the crude it treats, just as I stated before. http://www.nalcoesllc.com/nes/documents/MSDS/NES-LLC-COREXIT-EC9500A-March_2012.pdf
    Crude oil has the same health rating as Corexit. If you compare the two for LD50 ratings, you will find crude to be more toxic. HMIS is a 2 for health. I used to handle class 3 on a daily basis. So what could be causing skin irritation, a couple hundred barrels of dispersant or 4.9 million barrels of crude?

18. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    That will never happen. No conspiracy about it, they government let them off easy. We still rely on oil, so the gov won't do anything to harm the source.

19. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    A man can dream brew, a man can dream.