Gull Wing BLEF fin

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by Roy Stuart, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Roy Stuart

Roy Stuart Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013

After the man who asked for a free fin and was given five of them failed to take my correct advice and instead called me an asshole and a crappy fin maker... and the comment was hardly 'unhinged' it was a reasonable comment since you lot were behaving exactly like f*cking idiots... I was merely reporting an observation.

2. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    Well, there you go.

The required adjustment for US boxes will henceforth be done at my end.

Gary Young in Hawaii just orderd a few.

3. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    BUT if it was me who got your precious, this thread would have been:

Dear Roy,
    You are the best. Thanks for the free schitt. You numbah 1! Everyone else numbah 10.
    Your biggest fan,
    Cheech

4. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Awww wittle buddy, you are a mega super gaping asshole and make all sorts of crappy stuff, not just fins. Come on don't sell yourself short Gnomeo.

5. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks Cheech.

You fellows need to know this: for a perfect fit some post production adjustments by the user or someone who has access to the board are often going to be necessary. One reason for this is that often the top of the box is ground off by the box installer. we recently had fins made for a couple of McCoy boards which had up to 3mm ground off the top of the box. individual fitting is required in these cases as otherwise the projecting tab which takes the screw will stand proud. The solution is again to sand more off the bottom of the fin base.

These sort of issues are why so many single fins from many different makers need to be adjusted or shimmed by the user... it's just the nature of the old single fin box. Mature and intelligent surfers understand this and act accordingly.

Our Futures and fcs fins all fit perfectly every time straight out of the printer.

6. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I bet you have lots of fan buoys who get off on it when you're strict with them, gnome.
    Baaaaaaaaaa Baaaaaaaaaaaa .....

7. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    Don't thank me Roy. Allow me to thank you. I'm ready to change my son's name from Cheech Jr. to Royarronne.

8. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    I've just had some great advice from one of the old school shapers, regarding how Mr Bahne designed his box to work. It was a 'Eureka!' moment.

It's safe to say that the vast majority of fins aren't made the way the designer intended ( in terms of the base)... it can be done in other ways but if we do it as originally designed there will be no need for any post printing fitting for different boxes... so I'm pretty stoked about it.

I'll explain if anyone is interested.

9. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    In other words, gnome, you fukked up the production despite having a solid design. It's ok, we get it. You're trying to eliminate the bad pub for your bogusino designs that would emanate from a raft of recalls of your bread slicer / fin.

You may be stoked about 'it' (what the hell you're referring to is beyond me) but you're trying to bail on the follow up work that's needed for your product.

Every fin of every type that I've purchased fits into its designated place on the board like a hand to glove.

Maybe stick to fantasy golf, orange crushy.

10. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    That's obvious, and it's safe to say that most fin makers aren't aware of it either.

Of course I can explain, but the bottom line is that with a slight adjustment to my cad file the tabs will fit boxes from any manufacturer.

This isn't my theory it's how the box's inventor, Bill Bahne designed the system to work... it requires accuracy to 1/1000th of an inch, and uses a different engineering principle from what most fins are using.

11. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    So you can just use your dik to measure that. Pretty handy I guess.

12. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    So if I understand you correctly, only you (or perhaps a few select others) are aware of this issue, and you have come up with a perfected formula to solve said problem? A problem that no one else in the fin industry has? My evidence for this is that every fin I have ever used, regardless of manufacturer, has fit in its designated fin box as advertised, without any modification. The fact that you have what by all accounts appears to be a manufacturing defect/issue based on your production methods, and you spin it in such a way to imply the entire surf fin industry is the one whom are mistaken, and not you? Sweet tapdancing Jesus, that's no small amount of hubris Roy.

13. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    A fin/wax comb combo?!?!?

14. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    You summed it up perfect man.

15. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    BLEF fin trial summary

Roy posted a picture of his Gull Wing BLEF. People laughed. He retorted with sheep related humour. I offered to try it out. I did not ask for a free fin. I offered to test it out, review it, and pass it on to another Swellie. As soon as I received the 5 fins generously provided by Roy, I sent 4 of them to Clemsonsurf, who was headed to PR. I kept the Gull Wing, and waited for a chance to try it out.

In 40 plus years of surfing I have never ever had a center fin not fit. So I took my longboard down to the beach last Saturday. I had an hour and a half to drive to the beach, check it out, and get back for family obligations. I took a screwdriver with me to change out fins. When I got to the beach it was knee to thigh high and crumbly, and I went out with my board with the True Ames Squirrel 8" fin to do a control test, paying close attention to how it behaved and when it bogged and when it accelerated in the weak mush. After about 30 minutes, I went in to change fins. The Gull Wing has an Allen head, no worries, I had my FCS fin key which fit. The fin would not fit the box. I thought it was sand. I washed it out. Still no bueno. So I cut my session short, went home a bit frustrated. Then I made the mistake of posting on the forum it didn't fit, instead of PMing Roy to find out why. And used some sheep humour.

Before I got a response from Roy, everyone jumped him, he got defensive, lashed out on me. I got pissed and called him names. Then I went to sleep, woke up more chill, tried to sand/file it down. It finally fit. I wrote a public apology for my stubbornness, and suggested to Roy to let people know how to make the fin fit in the future. People flamed Roy. Roy posted schematic reasons why. Roy flamed me as a mooch and an idiot, in defense of him getting called out for being a hot head. Clemsonsurf posted the sidebites worked nice. Roy got flamed some more. Cheech offered him his firstborn. It is now Victory at Sea, 40 knots, so I no try fin out now. Hopefully I have summed this tread up for those who have lost count on the score.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  16. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Thanks surfdog!!!!

17. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Thats what I expect out of a fin I spend good money on. I have never needed to do any adjustments, fits every time.

18. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Most honest and accurate review I've ever read. The Swellers can read and think: are you buying a bleff (or any Roy fin) based on this honest review?

19. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013

It incorrectly states that I made 'sheep jokes'.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014