swellinfo google earth challenge

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by 252surfer, Dec 17, 2014.

1. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Hey guys. I was sitting at work today literally doing nothing and i decided to go on google earth and scour the globe for surf. I found this one set up that has a lot potential. This reminded me of the google earth challenge that some big name company sponsored and I guess this is how shipsterns bluff was discovered. So i figured we could do a little one of our own here.

The challenge is to find a spot, take a screenshot of it, and PM it to me. Ill accept entries by PM until monday and then i will set up a poll for the top 5 entries where the rest of the SI dominion can vote for the top spot. If we have a lot of entries. we can do a bracket system if it comes to it. Here are the rules:

1 and most importantly) NO COUNTRY NAMES, NO LOCATIONS on the submission. I want this to be anonymous but fun. The only geo-reference ill accept is the hemisphere. If y'all feel motivated to travel to these locales in the future, i don't want to accidentally ruin your fun or adventure by doing it on the internet.

2) It has to be a new spot without a name. Ill research it if it looks familiar

3) Make the screenshot only of the break. Try to keep the surrounding features out of the shot as to not possibly reveal the location.

4) I am the judging panel. get the fvck over it. Only me. Done.

5) Submit as many as you like. i want this to fun and to get peoples sense of adventure and awe in the search back.

6) any rules that may need to be added, knowing you crafty bastards for awhile now, will be added and posted in here. I will keep tabs and let everyone know how many entries we have.

Here is an example of a submission. The spot I found today. Happy Hunting
    the spot.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    hayzeus keeerist is it that flat on the east coast that it's come to this? Good idea, though.

BTW, 757, Is that a pic of VB after the next hurricane goes by?

3. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I think you better leave instructions for how to post the pic on your tread. For the non-metards amongst us.

4. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    VB wont even get that good on a hurricane swell....

And all you do is save the picture or picture URL, click the attach image button here on the message options and upload it. It should upload with [ATTCH] (image) [ATTCH] or something similar before you post.

5. daeggman

daeggman Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    looks like a good right

6. BonerSurfs

BonerSurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Ok boys.. this is pretty much what I do for school. I use GIS, but while I'm supposed to paying attention, I scour the earth for waves. Ive got literally hundreds of the things saved.. I'll post some of the cream of the crop.

P.S. I really don't mind saying where any of these are. No spot is secret now. For every surfer like me, theres about 5,000 others that have looked at this place on google earth.

7. BonerSurfs

Apr 14, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These three are all the same wave on different days. The biggest and most epic wave I have found in years of searching (the waves in the first 2 pics are about 20 foot waves). I really think this could be the best wave on the planet.

A close up for good measure

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  8. BonerSurfs

Apr 14, 2007
    [​IMG]

This right is about a mile or less from the left above. this area is littered with epic points.

9. BonerSurfs

Apr 14, 2007
    Lonely left. This island nation is relatively undiscovered and full of surf.

[​IMG]

10. BonerSurfs

Apr 14, 2007
    Both the same wave on different days... Looks like a fun playful right. Apparently the village close to here is notoriously violent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  11. BonerSurfs

Apr 14, 2007
    Plan to surf here within the next few years. Not nearly as far away as you would think.

[​IMG]

12. BonerSurfs

Apr 14, 2007
    that is enough drunken shenanigans tonight. I'll post some more tomorrow. Let me see what you guys got!

13. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    Uh, holy **** boner. Haha these are epic! I'll go with you on these trips if you need a compadre

14. kashapes

kashapes Member

Jan 1, 2013
    haha I have that last one pinned on my google earth also. I still can't tell how big it is

15. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
  16. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Pinned.

17. BonerSurfs

Apr 14, 2007
    Right Slabs anyone?

[​IMG]

And about a 5 min walk down the beach

[​IMG]

18. BonerSurfs

Apr 14, 2007
    An example of how epic waves can break in places no one thought they would... Malaysia (there 2 more of these points on either side of this one).

[​IMG]

19. BonerSurfs

Apr 14, 2007
    I think that on a bigger swell with better direction, the wave on the right could be the best right in the world. These waves are about as far in the middle of nowhere you can get...

[​IMG]

And a few miles away on the same day.

[​IMG]

20. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    bonersurfs....great stuff!