"Support your local surf shop"...

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Hawky, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    ?opinions?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    How 'bout support your local shaper? Nothing like a custom-made board.

3. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I usually buy cheap used boards.

Proficient at ding repair so I know the good buys.

This thread might ruffle a few feathers however...

4. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    CL is ok if you are on a budget and can verify that it wasn't stolen.

5. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    I would definitely support my local shaper because its a quality board for a good price.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  6. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    what shop owner is a millionaire?

7. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I like to browse a surf shop, but I don't usually buy anything there besides wax. When I can go to TJ Maxx or Marshals and get a Billabong T for $8.99, or go to the surfshop and buy one for $24.99...... yeah

8. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Lol nice...

9. HighOnLife

Jun 3, 2014
    Yeah exactly, when I go to my local shop I normally find myself walking out with an ESM, a few stickers, myabe a wetsuite accessory, and maybe some wax.

10. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    i support my local surf shop.
    i think i get charged 'premium' alot.
    guess i'm a creature of habit.

11. HighOnLife

Jun 3, 2014
    same

12. windswellsucks

windswellsucks Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2007
    newsflash: making 100$ on a surfboard or wetsuit aint gonna make you a millionaire. I know 3 surf shop owners and theyre living the struggle like everyone else. Considering the cost of leasing commercial real estate in a beachfront town, workers comp, liability insurance, inventory that gets stolen, and every bro in the area wanting a "hookup" - retail in this day and age is a risky proposition

you're a kook AND you're an idiot

13. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    you just have to find a shop that has managed to tune out the entire surf industry. Like Austin surfboards or natural art or that little shop in rodanthe that sells hatteras glass. I judge shops by the ratio of womens clothing to actual surf gear, and 17th street, you are in last place. There is a location near my house, 15 minutes from the beach, that doesn't sell f**king surf wax. Not a single bar of wax in a surf shop. F**K!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  14. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    there are more than a few of them

15. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    what shop own in DelMarva is a millionaire. Shop name please.

16. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I don't buy that crap clothing to begin with, so that's not a concern for me. But hey... buy what you like to wear.

As for where to buy it, that's the power of being a consumer. Every dollar you spend sends a message, whether you know it or not. It's a slippery slope argument, but if you choose to spend more money because it sends a message you consciously want to send... like buying organic foods or sustainable energy, even though it costs more... then good. Do it. But if you pay no attention to the message you send when you spend, and you buy cheap products from unscrupulous businesses, or industries that pollute the environment, you should know who and what you're supporting. But at least you know, even if you don't have the luxury to make better choices due to their increased costs.

I think machine shapes should cost less because you're not paying a person to shape them. One guy can run a dozen machines or more. It's cheaper to make a machine shaped board, so the savings should be passed on to the customer. You're paying more for a Lost because of the name, not the cost of production. Let's face facts.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  17. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    and some were started with drug money

18. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I don't care for 99% of the surf shops i've been to, that includes about a dozen in FL and a handful in Santa Cruz, don't recall stopping at any when I visited the OBX years back. The only surfshop I bother with in Rincon PR is Mar Azul, and that's because we stay there in the private villa. Bobby has everything you need right there. But as far as FL goes... it's mostly about picking up a bar of wax.

For boards I go through a couple different shapers now, probably never buy off the rack again unless I see a complete steal of a deal. For fins, leash, trac pads, etc. I tend to buy online through a local shop in my area, but they are 99% an online company, still local though. For wetsuites, there is a shop locally that buys in bulk and has great prices so I go there, I can usually find the same suite there for like 40% less than what you would find online or at other shops.

But i'm with you dude, most of these shop owners don't have a clue. I walk out of so many of them shaking my head and saying to myself, "Man, If I had the cash I'd buy this shop and do it right." I KNOW I could do a much better job and people would love the shop because it would have the things that REAL surfers expect to see when they walk in. Not the crap that tourists and beginners want to see. Sure, i'll have a little of that to take those people's money too, but you gotta pay attention to the people who will need to come back time and again. Most beginners buy stuff and never return again, because they don't stick with it. Anyways, that's my .02

19. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    This business model will fail every time. I worked for years in a shop in South Jersey. It is all about moving the clothes to the tourists. Most savvy owners will keep enough floor space dedicated to surf hardware (boards, suites, etc.) to maintain street cred, but the markup on hard goods is far less than that of the clothing. Add to that the fact that it moves more slowly and factor in the profit per square foot/per month and you can see that the money is in selling as many T-Shirts and Swimsuites as possible.

20. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I disagree Capt., with the right products, prices, marketing strategy, community involvement, and wait for it... wait for it.... WEBSITE / E-commerce site it will be a huge success! it's about to be 2015 and 99% of local shop owners still don't know how to utilize the internet to sell their products globally. Time to get with the times people. It aint the 80's no more, people have access to the internet on their phones now and can buy from anywhere at a moments notice, and never step foot in your store. The new business model will encompass the best of both worlds and will provide what 99% of other shops are unwilling or unable to provide. It's something I will do one day, I have the vision, I just need the $$$ and i'm on my way. One day I tell you, one day....