"Support your local surf shop"...

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Hawky, Dec 23, 2014.

1. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Sunsations

2. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010

3. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    You know a real surf shop when you smell resin. They will sell a board, fix a ding, sell a wetsuit and a bar of wax and on occasion sell a t-shirt.

4. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I personally don't agree with this at all - support them because they need support. F that. Support local shops because they stock good boards, carry local shapes, offer intelligent advice, do good repair work, stock good wetsuites, have gloves and boots when you need them in a hurry lots of good reasons to support - charity isn't among them.

5. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010

Sounds like GreenLight Surf shop in manasquan nj, seriously!

6. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    But riddle me this: if we don't keep these guys in business, then the bigger guys will dominate the market and quality will drop, no?. If Sports Authority and ****s and Walmart and Costco strike a deal with Global, or CI?!? Slippery slope. Its like buying local food---its better for you. Buying local anything is better for your local economy.

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    This ^ is because you're 12 yrs old.

8. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Whats your complaint about bnw?

through the years they have offered me better selection than others.
    i have bought more boards there than anywhere else.

9. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    i meant for this not that.

10. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    I was on their team back in the day. Owner was a real prick. Made us train 400 days a year.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  11. 3rdperson

3rdperson Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Not really a complaint. More a point of view and a preference. Although, walking into a big shop, asking a question about one of the boards they have, only to be stared at blankly for 5 full seconds(crickets chirping in the background) by a 15 year old while my frustration grows,...isn't cool. If I drive down the street to the smaller guy and ask the same question... I get solid advice based on experience. He might not have the board, but he will point me in the right direction no matter what. That's what I pay for

12. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    if we can just install wax / zinc / leash vending machines around the oceanfront we can close all of these big box poseur clothing stores aka surf shops, and we can all buy from local shapers and order our rubber online at a reasonable price. Then overpriced "surf clothes" will end up where they belong on the racks at tj maxx. Let me re-visit surf clothes. Fact of the matter most people who are in head to toe surf gear are huge poseurs.

13. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008

if they can do used panty machines in Japan, they can surely do this.

14. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    It was worth it though, right? They have wax machines up here.

15. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    This is doable. You should see what's in a bait vending machine out here in PA. It's a whole tackle shop. Live bait, large-mouth rigs, trout lures, line of various test, 4 different types of worms. You gots to design and market that puppy.
    Merry F@cking Christmas Lee and a Merry F@cking Christmas to you Pump.

16. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I have a Custom X shirt that I like to wear. Preferably on cloudy days as it's a dark colour and I warm easy.

17. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Merry Fu(king Christmas swellers!

[video=youtube;5-2VszpHHY0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-2VszpHHY0[/video]

18. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    its all a big circle jerk and a bj to me hahah

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I'd say I fully agree with your first point, but question the second, depending on how you define "value." If you're talking about monetary value, I'd say you may or may not be right, depending on the shaper you're talking about. Personally, when I do a one-off, it's usually by request. "Can you do something like a Biscuit... but a little narrower, with a little more rocker?" In that sense, the "value" is that it's a board specific to a customer's requests. The value is that it will hopefully perform better than the original. But I consider that "value added," and that's worth something. A shaper should be paid for that added value of customization alone, not to mention that it then becomes the shaper's responsibility to add the RIGHT amount of rocker, at the RIGHT spot along the bottom of the board, make the CORRECT adjustments in foil and deck rocker, maybe consider making fin layout adjustments, pull in the with APPROPRIATELY, make sure the outline flows PROPERLY, and makes the deck contour adjustments required. That's all valuable knowledge and skill, and it should be compensated for.

So the shaper started with a proven design, but added and subtracted in either some subtle or not so subtle ways, making it his own take on an original idea that belongs to someone else. Put a reasonable price on that board (WAY less than $800) and you've got a happy customer who comes back to you time and time again.

20. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Wax vending is already a reality...LINk. They on a few shops in NJ.