"Support your local surf shop"...

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Hawky, Dec 23, 2014.

1. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Similarly, most 'sporting goods' stores seem to be majority apparel stores these days for poseurs who believe that wearing brands & logos make them 'athletic.'

2. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    understood.
    gordo is da man there stick-wise.

3. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Very true, but at least sports authority (imagining that is who you are targeting) stocks clothing like gore-tex, dry fit, under armor, etc that can be used for activities. Surf shops sell so much **** that simply cannot be used for surfing.

4. glassyandsunny

glassyandsunny Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    I hear you. In terms of value I was referring more to monetary value, including resale value, perceived value as in the buyer is buying a board that retails for ~800 for only ~500 - so although the board might not have the brand glassed in, he can say "yeah dude its like the ' CI biscuit'" Some shapers even offer a stock copy of a popular board and name their own version almost the same by simply adding/deleting a letter or two

5. glassyandsunny

Sep 28, 2012
    It would be great if surf shops can let you demo boards. Not being a surf shop/owner I would be curious to hearing the pros and cons of that. I haven't seen many that offer that. If I were to demo 4-5 boards from my local shop I would probably buy one at some point from them, assuming they can bring in the right one.

6. 3rdperson

3rdperson Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Dave at greenlight in manasquan is supposed to be making a set of demo boards.

7. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    those guys any good - if they are I bet they giving io a run for the money

8. 3rdperson

Mar 14, 2014
    Yeah man. Check them out, they have a show room... and from what he says, will have demo's soon.

9. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    i use a shaper not local since we dont have that many great ones and hes actually cheaper and better ships to me from cali for 50 bucks. im not gonna spend 775 on a lost board

10. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    yea they are good. but a totally different shop then inletoutlet. all the squan parents and stuff will still buy all the clothing and stuff at inletoutlet... greenlight is all about surfing. you know- surfboards, not clothing. so if you want a surfboard shaped- you go to greenlight. if you want a new billabong hoodie-inletloutlet

11. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    wouldn't go to io even if you were buying , that guys a kook

12. glassyandsunny

Sep 28, 2012
    Does anyone know why Surfshops dont carry only excess production runs like Marshalls or TJ. My thought is that surf peeps dont care as much if they are wearing last years shorts and t shirts l. But i could be wrong.

13. 3rdperson

Mar 14, 2014
    I didn't want to be the one to say it..haha. I'm still waiting for a call from them on a board I was looking to order......2 years ago.

14. 3rdperson

Mar 14, 2014
    This would be dope. Although, typically, with boards, they don't lose value based on model year. haha

15. 3rdperson

Mar 14, 2014
    Bingo.

16. ioman2

ioman2 Active Member

Oct 28, 2013
    I must be in the minority here. i like and support my local surf shop. I view it as they have to sell certain stuff to tourist in july so that i can buy wax and a new leash during a snow storm in new england. Amazon won't sell me wax before a surf session and whiskeymilitia won't sell me gloves when i forget them at home and the surf is epic. Some of you guys must be going to the wrong shop.

(Also surf shops in southern california have much more clothing and lifestyle crap then most i've seen on the east coast.)

17. paperplate

paperplate Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2013
    WATER BROTHERS in Newport RI. Has a great business model... Sid hooks you up sometimes just because. Tells you to buys suits online if you can get a deal and he has what you need for the area as far as surfboards ect. Also he essentially started his own brand which is frigging cool. He doesn't sell a single shirt or hoodie that isn't OWB

18. paperplate

paperplate Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2013
    You walk in and he's always there. Feel like you are talking to a friend not a "salesman" i like that

19. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I've had two of the cooler shops in Ocean City Maryland, let me walk across the street with a brand new board off the rack, put a few rubs of wax on it, paddle it around and catch a few waves just to judge the feel. Neither of the owners even knew me, other than just seeing me in the shop a few times. It never hurts to ask, none of the boards were too my liking, but when I needed a wetsuit or board, i'll never forget those guys.

20. JTS

JTS Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Thats a great price for shipping - I get boards from some excellent west coast guys but I pay about $100 + for shipping, still worth it IMHO