Do you Surf, Skate, or both?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by ibc, Jan 6, 2015.

Do you...

1. Surf only, Skate never

28.8%
  2. Surf mostly, Skate some

55.9%
  3. Surf and Skate equally 50 / 50

11.9%
  4. Skate mostly, Surf some

3.4%
  5. Skate only, Surf never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. weathermaang

weathermaang Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    I used to do both A LOT more before the wife and I started pumping kids out. I stopped skating around town bc I was kind of self conscious about being a dad in my 30's skating when most of my peers were acting like grownups.. I know how lame that is that it even bothered me... also I didn't have health insurance for a while and I felt like I'd been pushing my luck for so long...

Used to drive down to the old Lansdowne Bowl in MD if any of you know the place, it's pretty rad.. about 2hrs drive for me though.. I have a longboard and a 70's pool board -I kind of shred on that thing if I do say so myself. I'm also waaaay better at snowboarding than I am at surfing! haha. I always wish I could do the things on a surfboard that I can on a snowboard. anyone else feel this way??

2. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I think I skated a few years before I started surfing. Some of my buddies still do, and they still shred out in the water. I quit long ago, preferring to take my lumps out in the ocean, rather than on pavement. There was an underpass on I-95 near Mercer Ave. in West palm Beach we used to hit, called Hamburger Hill. We used to write our names on the walls in blood after a wipeout Finally the cops spackled concrete chunks all over it so we couldn't ride it any longer. Thank God!

3. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Thanks again for your info dudes.

It seems like some of y'all on SI are pretty serious skaters. I'd think that those guys might be skate mostly / surf a little. Of course, y'all could just be major serious on both, never work, eat, or sleep.

Wipeouts skating seem a bit more rough for us older folks than when hittin the water. Bones break easier and sh**. Of course, I did break (the now infamous) chest bone surfin, so I guess it just ain't safe anywheres. :)

Then again, I guess you could become a world champ skater and not even know how to swim.

I'm still thinkin of gettin a Carver.

4. CDsurf

CDsurf Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    i skate on my neices penny board. that thing is amazing to practice turns on.

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Pinning the chest bone.

6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yup- no more skating; lots of surfing (but not tomorrow here in NH with -40 F).
    You see, at age 63, I don't bounce well anymore. Skates are long gone, even ice skates (just dumped my 1973 Bauer leather skates).
    However, whenever possible weather wise, I do cycle a lot on me mountain bike, and that, has made all the difference in the world keeping me in good shape, for an old fart.

7. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I hear you on the mountain biking Barry. I still skate, but only downhill. The kids in my new neighborhood trip out when they see a big old grey bearded 51 year old beast descending the hills of the hood.

8. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Haven't skated much in decades, last fall was pretty nasty. Major concussion and had amnesia, for a while couldn't remember anything that happened for about 6 years. I guess it all came back. I have memories and continuity but who knows what's missing.

Every time I've skated since then I've been super sketched out. No stranger to pain, but losing 6 years of my life was freaky. Much prefer to surf these days.

That being said I have been lurking CL lately looking at boards. Just something to pump around the neighborhood and run some mellow downhills. There's a park nearby too that has some good trails I've seen guys lb'ing on. Found one I like but the $$$ would have to come out of the new board fund, so I'm torn atm.

Wear the helmet kids. Don't be an idiot like I was/am...

9. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Hey whats this bowl you talking aboot in Groton? DM me?

10. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    I rarely miss any decent swell but there's mo' streets then waves on the Ec...
    Damn tlok you forgot six years dude that's gnarly...I smashed my dome skating at fdr drunk came to puked everywhere and drank more beer...didn't remember anything the next day...but six years...
    Dude just buy a real skateboard like a 8.25 a set of corresponding indies some risers and cruzer wheels..you can still pop ollies pump in mini ramps and cruise like a lb...

11. HighOnLife

Jun 3, 2014
    Sponge some skate never

12. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    What's that grommet?

If you got something to say just say it, don't be a pu$$y all your life.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  13. HighOnLife

Jun 3, 2014
    Nah thats it

14. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    You know nothing son of a yuppie little f a g g o t.

15. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    tlok are you serious? 6 years missing?

16. Ryan McCall

Ryan McCall Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Google it amigo maybe seldom will give you a ride

17. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    i found it much easier to block him man. Nothing meaningful has ever been contributed by him yet in my opinion. Seldom what did u think of my drunken gnar misadventures video bro? pretty lame huh?

18. HighOnLife

Jun 3, 2014
    i wouldnt go that far... We've met face to face...

19. patgeds22

patgeds22 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    lol nice

20. Deepee king

Deepee king Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    15 years ago I skated way more than I surfed, I felt myself really progressing and having allot more fun at the parks and stair/gap spots around my house finally after about seven years lol. Started surfing when I was 12 and got instantly hooked. Then I partied to hard in high school and didnt commit enough time for skating and lost the itch . Then when I was 19 I said the ABC's of Surfianity and let him have complete control of my life. Havnt looked back since. " im a changed man" (AS I aleays say in the lineup om a good day). Now all my same friends that i skated with are totally killing it and everytime I try to skate with them I eat face within the firsst fifteen minutes, at 6"3 the concrete seems allot further away than it used to lol. But ill never stop Skating, that would be insane.