Leashless?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by sisurfdogg, Jan 15, 2015.

1. xJohnnyUtahX

xJohnnyUtahX Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    no you didn't. You had yourself in the bowling ball grip while thinking of staying up late tonight taking shots at men amidst discussion.

Carter I can tell you're intelligent, flaming, but smart. Try educating instead of hating and maybe you can help restore the forum. Unless you don't actually surf, in that case keep on living the dream, bowling ball grips and all.

2. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    You really are Johnny Utah aren't you?
    johnnyutah.jpg

3. Deepee king

Deepee king Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    Within the past 2 years I have worn a leash a hand full of times. I suppose because it usually doesn't get over 3 ft.. But log or shorty... No leash, unless it's victory at sea conditions

4. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Yup.

Of all the things I've had to adjust to after 30 yrs of no surfing, that durn leash is the toughest. Spent years learning how to move my feet. All the old moves are coming back to me, almost instinctively, but some of em don't work with a leash. If I'd always leashed it, woulda learned different moves from day 1.

Been tryin to go with the new flow and leash always. After 3 years of cussin, will prolly adopt the more reasonable position lots of y'all shared. Wear it just when it makes sense. Wind gnar, kid herds, etc.

5. heyzeus

heyzeus Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2014
    That is the one drawback of surfing leashless. I'm usually able to grab my board if I fall but it definiteley makes me surf a little too conservatively at times.

6. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Why have I never thought of that... 550 cord is crazy strong.

7. illuminite

illuminite Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2014
    I only use a leash when its over 3-4ft, believe it or not you will actually surf a ton better without it.

8. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I see way too many beginner hipster wannabee longboarders with no skill going leashless on 40 pound super gloss retro logs in crowded conditions cause they think it adds koolness points to their otherwise weak game. These people need to take up a new hobby like photography......I hear that one is pretty popular right now with the hipster crowd.

9. heyzeus

Oct 7, 2014
    I agree, but how much better is it when someone's only means of not losing their board is by abusing their leash? Especially when that's a 10 foot board with a 10 foot leash creating a 20 foot radius of carnage. Hell, even a 6 foot board with a 6 foot leash. Those surfers tend to be more experienced but are sometimes more concerned with doing a throwaway air than any sort of board control. The fact is, neither is safe for other surfers.

10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Not to get all sciency on ya, but... about the drag issue, and the claim that leashes "slow you down"... The fact is that leashes do create drag. The questions are can you feel it, and does it make a difference?

With a leash dragging through the water, the factors that matter are the thickness and length of the leash, and how fast you're going. The thicker and longer your leash is, and the faster you go, the more drag your leash creates. The other factors really don't count: the viscosity of the water (it is what it is), the shape of the leash (they're all cylindrical), and the surface of the leash material (they're all smooth). Considering the fact that the drag coefficient of a cylinder is fairly low... around 1, and you really don't go that fast in the typical waves we get, the amount of drag created by your leash is not likely to create much a a difference in your speed. I think other factors matter much more... your skill level, the shape of your board, surface chop, wind, etc. But if you want all factors in your favor, use a comp leash. And if you're a pro caliber surfer, with most of your surfing done in big, fast, clean waves, it might make a difference between making a barrel and not. Ironically, that's when you want a thicker, longer leash!

11. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    If you agreed you'd have said all that needs said when you said I agree. :rolleyes:

12. heyzeus

Oct 7, 2014
    I meant I agree that leashless hipsters on 10 ft heavily glassed logs that can't actually surf are a problem. But luckily there aren't many of those where I live. I just meant that I think everyone could become a safer surfer if they surfed leashless every now and then, when conditions/crowd factor/etc are right to do so. Some people's only means of controlling their board IS their leash, and that's not safe either.

13. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    I was out surfin last swell ,chest to shoulder little drainers, and I snapped my comp leash, the line up was pretty packed. Had to surf pretty timid and when I got shacked up with no way out I had to bearhug my board as to not hurt anyone else or my board. Serious handycap and I dont advise it to anyone.

14. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    if u go leashless in a crowd ur just a douche magoo.surfboards can phuk someone up!!don't know about the drag issue or the cool hipster issue,i just know its safer for the board.i seen people break brand new al merricks pulling into a 3 ft closeout,because of the leash.

in other scenarios leashes do save lives,like if ur a big wave surfer and u have to climb the leash 30 ft.surfing big waves without a leash is just retarded,like I am sam sean penn retarded.id rather look like a chump than drown lol,if leashes make u chumps nowadays on si

15. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I remember the exact time I swore to never go leashless again on a good day of surf. It was a northeast swell about three foot overhead, and messy with a northeast wind aboot 15 -20mph. i went out for a drift, with the intention of making out to the outside break, catching a few bombs and do the ol kickout back into the lineup before the inevetable closeout section on the midbreak sandbar. This was back when no one wore leashes.

I caught a nice one from the outside, and got closed out in the midbreak, and lost the board. I'm 50 yards from shore. For some reason, before I started my swim in, I looked out back, maybe hoping to snag a slot wave and bodysurf it to the inside shorebreak where my board was drifting. What I saw instead still is etched in my mind as clear as if it happened today.

I saw a sharks head appear out of the water way outside on the sandbar I was taking off from on the bigger sets. Not a spinner, not a reef shark, but a shark of the big a$$ variety, and it was whitish on the chin and chest. It had eyes that were pitch dark and big as pie plates, and it was out of the water like a tomb stone, stright up and down, the side fins were in the water but it was his top third and I'm guessing that was 3-4 feet out of the water. And he was very wide. And he had a kingfish in his mouth, sideways, so that its tail was sticking out one side, and its head was sticking out the other side. Then he disappeared!

So I am now trying not to go into full freakout panic mode. I decide the best way to survive is to blend in with the whitewater, and not make any obvious frantic motions. I waited for a wave of mush, stroked doggie paddle style, waited for another surge, finally got to my board after what seemed like an hour of shi**ing and praying and making deals with God. I caught a good one into the beach, and swore to my self that I don't care who says what, I am wearing a leash from now on, unless it is literally breaking right on the beach.

16. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Sketchyyyy!!

17. wavesliderac

wavesliderac Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012
    my current longboard does not have a leash loop.. so no leash. usually only ride it in smaller conditions when I know most of the guys in the water or I'm solo.. if its big enough to ride a shortboard I will and then 9/10 I'll use a leash. I think surfing without a leash really teaches you how to hold on to your board. Sometimes I make better decisions because I don't want to lose my board all the way to the beach... other times It would be nice to have the leash so you know you can try something on a section and even if you fall, your board is safe.

theres a right way and a wrong way to do pretty much everything.