Big swell headed toward Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by worsey, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Nope. The persons I knew and surfed with had normal names. Keep in mind, I was there up until 1969. Those names you mentioned may have showed up after, way after, I suppose. Most of the guys I surfed with are dead, or disappeared from the surfing world.

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

3. sailquik

sailquik Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2012
    I've never surfed in Rincon, refuse to drive for hours to surf with wiseguys from Belmar. However, my understanding is that the current can be a ***** - especially at bigger tres.

Also, is it possible you can be up in marias and accidentally find yourself in heavy dogman's or tres, on a big currenty day?

In any case, just because you can paddle into a big beachbreak, doesn't mean you should be paddling into a place you don't know well on a big day. Local knowledge is much more important than people think, especially on bigger days when the currents and breakers get funky.

Tres has claimed two people in the last two seasons, and another couple disappeared a couple of weeks back while SUPing.

I think that part of the ocean commands a lot more respect than it is given with comments "Remember, 12ft PR is like a walk in the park compared to Belmar!"

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

The currents can push you down to upper Dogmans but getting to lower Dogmans (further south, closer to Tres) would be a stretch. As I mentioned before, Tres when 10 feet is a soft wave. Tres at 25 ft faces, is a entirely different story. When I lived there, nobody lost their life there. With the popularity of surfing, and most surfers attributing high skills to themselves, fatalities are to be expected.

The current can suck there when a big swell is running. Most surfers travel to PR with 6 ft boards. Mistake. I always go there with at least a 7'6 gun, or larger. Glide is required when paddling in to these large pitching waves, just as any other place.

5. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Ah dudez I had the absolute best sesh of my life at domes today...so many punts and barreled in the inside..my experience in PR wouldn't have been as epic with the vast amounts of knowledge shared with local spongerz..swells fading..winds are beating down..time to reflect on the stoke with a phat doob and some cold ones..more pics to come when I find some decent wifi
    image.jpg

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Such a fun wave! Good on ya.

7. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Dudeski

Hopefully some more swell heading your way!

Stoked to hear about your trip and see the pics!

8. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Ah I hope you dudez enjoyed the pics should be some swell filling in saturday DP before I leave..to much to sift through and post..remember Mr Doeskis experience wouldn't have even been half as epic without the great people associated with Pride BODYBOARDs and BOOGIE family
    image.jpg
    How aboutz that MISY...6ft Maria's..I did 10 at indicators..I think I might be done with this place..May peace and stoke be with you dudez

9. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Man you got it good!

Don't worry- Belmar will be going off when you get back... Know you miss it

10. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Ah Jesus all those peaks in monmouth county that get blown by the jock surferz are mine..I'll even cut you Jesus if you drops in on me
    image.jpg
    Blood and gutz

11. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Dudez Domez was firing hard for the DP...back in SJ headed home...surfed out partied out and mellowed out

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    ^^sigh. Nice. And enviable. Even the south is cold lately and my old heat pump has bitten the dust. $4k for a new one:(

13. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Ah Ms Scare crow you know this hole trip cost 750$ total for err thing...good luck..I hear a warm spells coming tommorow..

14. BackRoads

BackRoads Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Still in Rincon. Surfed Maria's in the AM. Was solid. I'd post some pics but don't know how to load them from my phone to this site.

15. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Rincon Inn...above the lucky bar?

16. BackRoads

BackRoads Member

Jan 24, 2015
  17. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Ah dude did I meet you this morning..if you need erbz while your there pm me

18. BackRoads

BackRoads Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Thanks but I'm not sure it was me.

Went by Domes today. There was a helicopter searching the area. Anyone know what happened. Heard someone was missing but it didn't look like there was a recovery.

19. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Did you come in from belmar...names Larry..pretty sure I met everyone there
    When I surfed domes DP Saturday it was pretty heavy...currents drift and back wash...quite the paddle out
    I think people under estamate that spot because it can often be a very forging spot even at 6 plus but that's when it's at like 14 plus seconds..
    Stay safe dude.. My mind is still in PR..crystal blue barrels..post sesh medallas and rasta vibes..