Have we hit the bottom?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by DavidOlya, Mar 23, 2009.

1. DavidOlya

DavidOlya Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Not a surfing topic, but discussion worthy nonetheless. Personally I have been sh1t scared for awhile, but the dow was up for last week, and jumped a whopping 470 points today. Is this the turnaround point?

2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    nope i think the bottom is at 5000. what worries me much more is the coming inflation.

3. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    what worries me the is crazy gov't spending, and the inflation like pumpmaster said

4. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    I don't think we have. But, on a good note today was a GOOD day. cha-ching:D

5. steelwave42

steelwave42 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2006
    I agree with Aguaholic, don’t think we have yet.

For ten years I’ve worked for small businesses, and since 2000 they have been hurting bad. Was with one when it was forced to shut its doors a few years ago, and with one now who is struggling to survive in the face of big box corporations. It is the saddest thing to see a family business have to call it quits, or struggle to the point many are right now.

I read anything I can from the view of the economist, and they are quite pessimistic about our current situation and the timeline of recovery. If the problem is money, I figure they are who to listen to. The worst thing someone can do is be afraid to spend money though, that is adding fuel to an already out of control fire.

Miracles don’t exist in government.

6. OCSpongR

OCSpongR Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    I don't think we have hit bottom fully yet either. I think today's show of relief on wall street will be short lived and by friday is post 7k again.
    And AIG can choke on my ***** and the bonus's they took.
    But keep working if you still got a job if not pray for surf.

I as an auto mechanic have been doing pretty well lately. Especially with lining up side work on Saturdays b/c people are trying to save money everywhere they can. Our shop monday thru friday full on too. People are def back to basics and not so much worried about new cars now.

7. mexsurfer

mexsurfer Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    we have not hit the bottom of this. i actually want this to get a little worst, it would show people that all that money that they wasted on iphones and all that crap is useless and that family is more important.

8. Shakagrom

Shakagrom Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    I live in a town where (unfortunately) there are way too many kids with privileges. Like getting a Land Rover for your 16th birthday even though they can't drive yet! crazy **** like that always pisses me off, especially when they're all spoiled about it and act like they're above everyone else. So if these people are losing money then maybe, just maybe, they'll come down to earth and realize how they should act.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  9. El Porto

El Porto Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2007
    You're going to have to explain that logic. Are you saying that you would like to see the country slip deeper into recession to teach a morality lesson about materialism? I am not sure that makes sense.

10. Aguaholic

Oct 26, 2007
    makes no sense at all

11. Shakagrom

Shakagrom Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    masochist (is that the right word?)

12. mexsurfer

mexsurfer Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    what i mean is. people are retarded. they need GPS's to drive down the street . people care too much about the useless crap they wasted there money on. yes i want the U.S. to go deeper in the recession. That will show the gov. that they need to stop doing useless stuff and wasting the tax payers money.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  13. El Porto

El Porto Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I'm pretty sure that the main reasons for the recession are the housing market implosion and subsequent credit market collapse. As far as government spending, that will be increasing exponentially, not decreasing as part of the plan to solve the crisis.

14. SURF4LIFE

SURF4LIFE Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I'm sick of hearing some of these people that will always be loaded, saying they know what everyone is going through, the one good thing out of this is I've always been poor so I already know what it's like to be poor.:D

15. steelwave42

Nov 7, 2006
    No doubt. I hear the rich of my town crying about a loss of money when they still are shaking down loads of cash and sitting back fat in big houses and cars. So far away from the reality of struggle it makes me want to slap them into reality and say enjoy what you've been GIVEN. Cutting back on thier staff paying **** rates... using this recession as a copout.

I come from the working class, a grass cutter and house cleaner. I myself have no college and have always worked cooking or in the service industry. The poor are feeling this. Hand to mouth is a reality for some of us.

16. steelwave42

Nov 7, 2006
    The form your speaking of is this....

"the tendency to invite and enjoy misery of any kind, especially in order to be pitied by others or admired for forbearance"

17. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Shakagrom.. I think you should knife the tires of the Range Rovers.

And I agree with mexsurfer about Materialism... I mean I DO hold onto a thing or two, but some people believe that you need everything that everyone else has.. too much shiit=waste of money.

I don't even carry a cell phone anymore. Waste of money.. + microwaves to your brain.. leads to more mind control.

18. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    easy come easy go. Your unborn children and/or grandchildren already have a debt load as unchecked government spending reaches multiple trillions. If you can't pay your bills, what makes more sense than to spend as much as you can, as fast as you can with no accountability. Why get upset over a paltry 165 million in "bonuses" to AIG when your governement handed out hundreds of BILLIONS and no one really knows where it went? Pffft.

19. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Waite, you surf correct? Hand in those surfboards now they are nothing but materialistic garbage.

Ironic huh?

You have your surfboards the rich have their landrovers and iphones...no matter how bad things get you won't faze out the rich you need to take a peek into history. They are the ones running the show not your president.

The only thing that will happen is people like you and me will sink deeper into the hole. I remember being better off a few years ago. The same people who were rich back then are still rich now and will stay rich the further the global economy sinks. You also have to remember something it is not just America who is in trouble.:(

20. Aguaholic

Oct 26, 2007
    JMD,

You are right on. Nothings gonna faze out the rich...they run the show. Regular people like most of us are just gonna suffer even more. Yeah...I have a stock or two. Nothing special. I was able to buy them when I had a job. Now they are worthless...made a few dollars yesterday (yeah just dollars) but it was better than nothing. Mostly everywhere is in trouble. When I went to Barbados they were feeling the pain too...noone was even there. Like a ghost town.....gotta admit though I actually liked it that way...not cause their suffering like us but to have the island and waves to myself.

Shaka, you must live in Deal....Hahah get to those tires! jk