Surfing Sea of Cortez

Discussion in 'Mexico Pacific' started by RKsurf, Mar 15, 2015.

1. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Baja is mostly sandbars.so some spots might not be there tomorrow,and new spots will be there at the end of the week.nothing special.u want to be the first to surf a new wave try southeastern somolia.I was on google earth yesterday after watching a Jordy smith video of a regularfooters Namibia,and u just scroll up the map and see all the whitewater from satellite.u see patterns of whitewash and ur doing good

2. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Baja is more points than beach breaks

3. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Well put.

4. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Belmar

5. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    ^^exactly.
    I've long since figured out that folks who complain about crowded surf breaks are unwilling to devote the extra hour it might take to surf a break that is out of eyesight from a convenient parking place. 5 minute paddle across an inlet? Walk 15 minutes up the coast? strap a board to a kayak? Rarely done.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    nopantsLance likes this.
  6. RKsurf

RKsurf Member

Jan 23, 2010
    You should re-read my post. You're ignorance is hilarious.

7. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This thread is great. Has it all.

Sailor dude you're awesome.

Community, I propose Barry Cuda's name to be changed to Baja Cuda.

Cep, all kinds of waves, and they say you can smoke scorpion tails.

antoine likes this.
  8. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    surf wisdom.

antoine likes this.
  9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You guys are all dreaming. Once you go to these places, you will see.
    If you want to buy in to the fact that you will be first there, be my guest.
    One thing for sure, Baja does have a lot of nice point breaks. Waves are sure a lot nicer than East coast as well.
    Dream on!!

10. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I've been to Baja a few times and you are wrong. If you think it's crowded you did it wrong or you didn't leave Cabo

antoine likes this.
  11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

That is entirely possible.

12. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I surfed Baja for 15 years, even surfed it once or twice a week for 5 years straight. Beach breaks, reefs and points...just as varied as Cal. Crowded? Define "crowded". K38 is crowded, but during the week, you can catch it with only a few guys. San Miguel is CROWDED. Baja Malibu is not crowded. Calafia is not crowded. Zippers is stupid crowded, but Monuments can be going off with only a handful of locals out.

If a name spot is going off, a 5-10 minute drive can land you a lonesome peak....guaranteed.

God I miss that place.

DosXX and Yankkee like this.
  13. RKsurf

RKsurf Member

Jan 23, 2010
    ehhhhhh hemmmmmmm. Live the search my friends. Probably some sandbars/sand points that will be going off deep into the Sea of Cortez this week. And I bet you 99.99% of them will go unridden/unseen. Still dreaming/planning 3 years later.

Attached Files:

antoine and Kyle like this.
  14. HogLog

HogLog Active Member

Feb 28, 2014
    love me some Baja Sur many years ago! JB_LaPastoraBajaSur.jpg

15. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Go to Google Earth and check out the Strait of Juan de Fuca in Washington state.

The fetch is extremely similar, and the swell has to be a certain size at a certain angle to make it in there.

But when it does, spots will start lighting up over 80 miles from the ocean. And when they do, it's something to behold.

DosXX likes this.
  16. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Awesome tread resurrection

17. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    A friend of mine did a trip to the Sea Of Cortez last summer and caught great surf at a left point almost directly across from Cabo on the mainland. 600 yard overhead lefts.

18. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Surf a spot on the mainland a couple hours south of Culiacan. 2 long left point breaks. Attached a video of it on a small day. Heading there in May!