NorCal this weekend

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by EmassSpicoli, Mar 27, 2015.

1. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Hope everyone is having a good week. Haven't been on here in the last couple with my hands very full with work. Been finding time to skate but haven't been able to step into liquid in almost two weeks as professional life comes first.

Out west through next week and this weekend has a big pulse that's upon us here. Wanted to get the input of the CA guys, especially those with NorCal knowledge, since this swell is fairly dynamic and not too straightforward.

OBSF and the breaks around here look to have a solid WNW swell of good size for most of the weekend but onshores that may surpsass high single digits into the teens. Tomorrow late morning through the night shows a S-SSW pulse that's super long period at 20s or more. I saw that a week out and kept my eye on it. Changes back to WNW short period on Sunday with not great winds so I'm not feeling that.

Meanwhile, Santa Cruz is showing straight S swell today through Tuesday with super-long period 20s today and staying consistently in high teens for period the next several days. Light offshores morning through mid-afternoon most of those days. One concern is getting down there tonight for sunset sesh with offshores 20+ mph. I've only hit Steamer's in my only trip there and had an unreal time a month ago but it was glassy as hell.

Any input you cats in the know can give is much appreciated. Ideally, looking to spend tonight and maybe Saturday night down in the SC area and surf as much as possible. Looking much more fun than all the winds and size up here in SF area.

If you've got helpful ideas, either list them here or feel free to PM.

Thanks buoys. Hope all of you score this weekend wherever you are and have a good weekend with friends and family.

2. cackedinri

cackedinri Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    I'm just curious as to what you do for work. No ball busting here. I recall, however, that you mouthed off on here about how you were either a professional athlete or affiliated with pro sports. So please enlighten us, dog.

3. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Yeah bud, I'm gonna give you a thorough, wholesome and civil reply when you claim "no ball busting here" and then talking about how I "mouthed off on here".

My original post was sincere, to all of you, that I hope you're all having a good week and score this weekend if possible. Even you, cackedinri, despite the fact that you have not once posted to or about me without much vitriol.

Now please go read and reply to posts where you actually care about the content and have something to add, as you clearly don't here. The answer to your question can be found in posts earlier in the month on the forum.

4. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Now please go read and reply to posts where you actually care about the content and have something to add, as you clearly don't here. The answer to your question can be found in posts earlier in the month on the forum.[/QUOTE]
    Oh Boi!
    REadInG and CoMpReHeNsIoN???
    EMASS you might be asking too much Sir!

5. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    we design fitness centers and gymnasiums with accommodations for adaptive (special needs) populations at educational institutions. We are tied into a number of charitable foundations to which we make regular donations. Not just so those places are legal, but also so these individuals can have enjoyable and beneficial exercise regimens that are easily implemented by trained instructors. We also consult for commercial athletic and fitness facilities on their equal opportunity compliance and ergonomics.

Here ya go Cockferdinner

Tired of people bustin' on Emass...

Hope you get some tasty waves too!
    I'll be out tonight after a six week hiatus

6. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    he's a traveling yoga instructor

now. back to the topic of surf in norcal

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Nothing to do with NorCal swell, but my buddies in CR are reporting in that they have been getting the massive swell of the year, thus far, this week. :cool:

So I just hope you git some Pacific goodness, spicoli. That's all I'm sayin'.

8. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    hey Emass, good to hear from you again. Dude, it looks like you're building up a Stalker List to rival (almost) Yankee and Carter, lol. Water off a duck's a$$, bro.

Not a lot of prime south swell spots in SF that I'm immediately aware of, but you can't go wrong in SC. I'm thinking east side might be best, but if it gets stupid big with a 20-second ground swell, I just don't know the area well enough. But almost all of SC will pick up a south swell, westside included. Best case scenario is a south with favorable winds. I don't know too many spots that take a south swell AND a south wind, that would pretty much suck sweaty balls.

How about that south-facing bay that is located north of that bridge up there? I gots a buddy there that says it gets pretty good on a south with NW winds.

We were getting a pretty good run of surf up here at my local, the weather was like a California winter. The locals up here told me they've never seen anything like it in their lives. Surf still has some size, but the weather patterns have gone back to their predictable ways (gray and drizzly with south winds). But hey, I'm surfing and I don't care.

As you already know, the water will be packed with rippers. It goes with the territory.

9. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014

BOOM.....BOOM
    [​IMG]

jk emass

10. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013

11. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    CBSCREWBY thanks braddah. I don't pay much mind to those that seem miserably bored and unfulfilled with their own existences to care so much about mine. Thanks for the well wishes and hope you come back strong after the hiatus.

yank, preciate that and I'm stoked for good swell.

Thanks KR! That's all great info. As said, all I have charged before is Steamer. Ready to hit anything I need to. Tonight that south-facing bay sounds good you mention north of the bridge, but will it be ok with 27mph offshores? Never seen anything like that or heard of it out west during times of nice weather. That's EC winter/spring winds. Sunset is 7:30 so I'll definitely get a good evening sesh.

Yes, know well that there's tons of surf talent in SC on the reg and I enjoy seeing it. I'm extra cautious not to drop-in there in any way even on the far shoulder of a long peeler especially since guys there make long rides out of just about any wave.

Winds look pretty good most of the next couple days other than tonight in SC. Here's the report: http://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/santa-cruz-california

What would you suggest for spots to hit tomorrow morning, afternoon and eve based on that?

Expecting to hit some good skate in SC as well. Been all over the NorCal parks lately and they transcend the ones out east. Working on moving towards the CX.4 on a traditional deck and less on the C7 truck on the stock Carver decks as I feel it's time to work in transition, better pool riding and maybe a bit of street into my Carver style.

Got a wahine coming with me to SC that could end up being a keeper of sorts. She tried the Carver the other night and was better on it first time than I've seen any dude be. Former stud collegiate athlete so maybe I can get her in the surf too. Any good suggestions on places to take her to eat and reasonably priced places to stay?

Hope you get some better weather up there and clean swell in OS. How's the place coming along?

12. cackedinri

May 21, 2012
    ^^^^^^

squid city byrd gang

13. cackedinri

May 21, 2012
  14. M.R.gnar28

M.R.gnar28 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Unlike forecasting for the east coast, Surfline is deadly accurate for the west coast, especially for long period swell. SC seems like the easy call if you like that area. Definitely windy and onshore in SF but always fun. There's some other spots that take S swell and handle NW winds but you can easily get skunked. There are so many different spots in SC so it's hard not to find a good wave that suits your style. Enjoy

15. Mattnjsurf

Mattnjsurf Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
  16. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Thanks for the input bud. I actually do check Surfline way more while out here and had already looked at it for SC this weekend. It says it should be dope all weekend and the WNW swell may sneak in a bit.

Am certainly ready to go hunting up and down the coast in SC to see what's working and not. Looking forward to it. Glad I have my 6'6 with me on this ride. Wish I had a pintail but small squash thruster should be fine.

17. Atantic0

Atantic0 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Surf the east side of SC. Pleasure Point will be good.

18. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Bingo, and get pizza after, short walk

19. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Emass, your charts look like the stars aligned. AtanticO is right, those spots are probably "can't miss".

There's a lot of "geography" on that particular part of the coast...some places may be well overhead, while others might be considerably smaller. The winds pretty much look favorable for almost the entire area, so that's in your favor. I personally like points and reefs (in that order), but they tend to be the most crowded. There's a good possibility that a few beachbreaks will take those winds and go off, if the spot doesn't catch too much swell.

Not in OS, brah. Decided not to build. Remember that spot I told you about, then talked you out of paddling out? I'm over there, and have caught that place overhead and offshore the last 2 afternoons. Yesterday was 70 degrees and sunny. Today was raining with 10 mph south winds blowing offshores.

I'm a happy camper, dude.

20. cackedinri

May 21, 2012
    better odds on providence winning the ncaa tourney then azzsplashspicoli paddln into some bombs