Do you surf how you skate?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by EmassSpicoli, Apr 7, 2015.

1. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    For those who rip both wave and pave, are your styles very similar? Which did you start participating in heavily first?

Explain in any detail you like.

2. JimB

JimB Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Definitely! Started off skating and I believe that's why I gravitated to the shortboard. Love driving hard off that back foot.

3. jballen2

jballen2 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    No, I surf much better than I skate, which isn't saying much. Skating is teaching me to no be such a ***** though. Still recovering from this at the moment: image.jpg

4. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah man. Could have done it without the ass cheek hangin out!^^^^

5. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Nah I skate how I surf, bowls, hips and carvers.

6. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Florida, used to ride BMX, then I crappy board from a friend. For Christmas I got a Valterra and I thought I was the teets. My skating improved rapidly and I got better equipment. Had Lance Mountain for ever, then a Schmitt Stix, then a mini Hawk and a $hit ton more. Tony Hawk did a demo at Mad Beach Surf Shop near where I lived and was walking through the shop and said excuse me to me, I about dropped a load in my pants. His shirt kind of brushed me as he walked by. As a 12 year old kid, that was huge! HA HA skated for a while before I started surfing. My uncle asked me one day if I wanted to go over to Stewart for the weekend and go surfing, that was all she wrote. I don't skate anymore but somedays I would love to grab a board and jump on one of these mini halfs

7. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    nice glutes

8. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    i skate like a surfer and surf like a skater. But mostly, when i skate I skate like a guy with 4 slipped disks: sparingly and infrequently.

9. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    No.

People and dogs surf on the ocean, like Jesus.

People and dogs skate on terra firma.

10. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Started skating on a home made board at 10, by 14 was really into it, and I started surfing at 15. The whole surf/skate punk lifestyle was my teens and twenties. Now I only surf like I skate when I hit dry reef. To me, twin fin fishes still feel kind of like skateboarding on rampy waves. Bertleman was a huge inspiration back when everyone went from single fins to twins.

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Skating is a limiting factor for surfing.

12. Redford

Redford Member

Sep 30, 2014
    My skateboarding is very surf influenced. My buddies are all about street skating but I push an Anti Hero 8.4 with OJ IIIs, give me a mini ramp or a pool and I'm zoned.

13. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    #nohomo

14. jballen2

jballen2 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    I figured if anyone could appreciate a nice man ass, it would be the guys on the Swellinfo forum

15. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    bertleman was HUGE!

is he still around?

16. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    I had the exact opposite problem yesterday. Been surfing relatively not stop 8 hours a day in the water since october with very little time on a skateboard. Went home to my local mini ramp and was skating with my bud froggy and hes like "dude your feet are so far apart your spending too much time on that surf board." he was right, I couldnt even do any flip tricks above the lip without stopping on the opposite coping to readjust my feet to drop in. **** it tho surfar es mejor de monopatinar in my opinon.

17. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    monopatinar.
    verbo nuevo para mi.

18. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  19. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    my spanish is like my English: bad

20. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    So, gonna totally trip you guys out. I started skating about 9 or 10 and sponged early on too. I did not start surfing until 13. I skated hard as a grom...street, quarters, halves, some pools (although not a lot). I kinda had an awkward style skating. Plenty of "hippers" as posted above from the hard falls.

Anyway, I started skating as a regular foot. When I stood up on my first wave, I stood up goofy and surfed that way ever since...nearly 30 years now. I skated until I was about 17....for those few years, I was skating and surfing opposite.

I can't switch foot surfing except on a LB... and skating goofy, forget about it.

I also shoot pool left handed and I am right handed...I know, what the hell is wrong with me...I have been wondering the same thing!