Chris Christenson C-Bucket

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by LostKahukuBoy, Apr 7, 2015.

1. LostKahukuBoy

LostKahukuBoy Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2014
    I've been thinking about my next board. I have felt the need to get a proper mid-length board. My 7'0 Gary Wilson Kingfish has been serving it's purpose of catching relatively small to medium sized waves and riding them decently. However, there are things that I think the board could use some improvement on, shape wise, to improve my performance on the board and better fit my style of surfing. So, i've been looking for something to replace what this board does.

It's been a couple years since I've ridden it, but I remember riding a C-Bucket that was lent to me for a handful of sessions. It was a single fin, 7'6". I enjoyed how well it would glide through glassy surf, and rides well in the barrel on during those perfect, offshore, & chest-high days on the East Coast. I really didn't fully grasp how lucky I was to get to ride an expertly crafted board at hardly any personal cost.

Here's a link to a stock model of it. Tell me what you guys think. I really want to get my hands on this board at some point, but I am still searching for the right circumstances.

Thoughts? Input? Have you ridden this board before? Let me know guys I'm researching hard for this one.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. daeggman

daeggman Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    that's one good looking board, mentioned this before but surfed a single fin 7'3" a couple sessions in cali and loved it, pretended i was gerry lopez at oahu in the 70s, scared to get another one because i don't really know what to look for but that board is pretty, looked through the rest of the website and they all looked pretty good

not saying to get it because I've never ridden it but if i had the cash i would roll the dice, i would like the option of making it a 2+1 but thats minor

will be interested in this thread to see what people will say about single fin mid sized eggy shapes, really want one

3. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I've never seen a Christenson I didn't like the look of. That dude makes beautiful boards.

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Dude that thing looks like a lot of fun, i'd go for it if you're into that type of surfing. I like surfing all types of boards so I could find room for just about any board in my "quiver". With some clean walls with some real estate, that board could really shine, for a fin, probably get a 7" Greenough 4-A

5. LostKahukuBoy

Nov 4, 2014
    thanks for the chime in guys. I definitely agree with you nynj, the boards all look mint. Real craftsmanship. I am definitely into that type of surfing. I picked up on a lot of my dad's surfing techniques and styles, somewhat inadvertently. He's a product of the 70's and 80's surf era, with focus on flow between powerful and appropriate maneuvers. So as I matured as a surfer, which included surfing with my dad about 90% of the time, I've translated that idea into my surfing. Plus i've ridden many of the boards in his arsenal, so I surf his boards the way they are meant to.

That being said, this is why I'm leaning towards this model. It's a toss up between this and the Flat Tracker, which has a box tail instead of the slight pulled in pin on the Bucket.

And as I mentioned, I have ridden this before and had some memorable sessions, but it's been so long I'm having trouble recalling exactly how it rode. If I were going to get this, should I purchase one from an online store like the link I posted, or should I order one from Chris' site? Or should I attempt to hunt one down near my area?

Also thanks for the fin advice DSUP, I was thinking single fin as well, but apparently you can get it as a quad or a thruster. I'm feeling single fin though, it's appropriate. That Greenough looks like it fits the bill nicely. If I end up ordering the board, that's the fin.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  6. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Read this at 3am and wanted to post this article this morning...

http://www.surfermag.com/features/alex-knost-takes-you-board-shopping/#qvlebXmVii6dGaty.97

It's a great midlength 101 discussion with someone who knows a thing or 2.

AnyHO, I just picked up a vintage 7'10'' with really soft rails - pretty sure it would qualify as a hull. I have a 9'' fin that came with it that I am going to try but have been eyeing a greenough 4A..... Dawn Patrol, you think a 8'' greenough would be better for this size board?

7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I like his Osprey model; floats my boat.

8. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
  9. LostKahukuBoy

Nov 4, 2014
    Barry, the Osprey, like the rest of his boards, looks fine...The limiting factor here is how much they cost, or else i'd have a half dozen of his boards. I love that osprey. I'd probably ride it as a 6'6 to 6'8 in 8-10 foot surf, and I garuntee that board would perform so well. It'd be my "Hawaii" board.

What are your thoughts on the flat-tracker? I think you could ride it at 7'8" since it has a flat bottom, it doesn't contribute to the length of the board as much as the pin on the C-Bucket? I'm definitely trying to decide between the two.

And can anyone comment on my question? If I were going to get this, should I purchase one from an online store like the link I posted, or should I order one from Chris' site? Or should I attempt to hunt one down near
    my area?

Any comments about this Gary Wilson Retro-Single? I'd order a custom with the 7'6 length in mind, but the Christenson is definitely a more refined version of this....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  10. LostKahukuBoy

Nov 4, 2014
    Also Big Wet Monster, please post some pics of the board if you're able.

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I like that flat tracker as well--would be a nice board for East Coast, Osprey for PR on larger days, although, for me at this point in my life, I would order a 7'8 Osprey, for bigger surf. Floatation is your friend when waves get overhead+. Right now my gun is a 7'6 Tim Besssell Pocket rocket. Visit his site-he is expensive, but great quality . regards...

btw, as an edit, work with the shaper rather than an online store, imho. You will have "input" into your board with shaper.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Anytime dude, I'm excited to hear how it rides!

13. Big Wet Monster

Feb 4, 2010
    photo (6).jpg

I am guessing around 1975ish. Just patched the few dings it had. Getting it in the water next weekend. Not exactly an outline of a hull but the bottom is rolled throughout into a v at the tail. Been looking at lex fins for it but want to ride it with the 9'' fiberglass fin first to see how she goes.

14. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah I think an 8" would probably work fine. I go with the rule of thumb 1 inch of fin for every 1 foot of board. Being that your board is only 2 inches shy of 8ft, an 8" would probably be best.

They also sell them in a 7.5" so honestly, both of you guys could go with a 7.5" if you really wanted to. Depends on how loose you want that thing to be. Probably not going to notice a significant difference between the 7.5" and 8", unless you're really anal about these things.

15. Big Wet Monster

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks. I had read the same rule of thumb for 1' of board = 1'' fin and am glad to hear this validated. Going for the 8'' fin. Thanks!

16. LostKahukuBoy

Nov 4, 2014
    Nice board, let me know how it rides once you get a session.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  17. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Wasn't this board a subject on another tread? This board is straight-up b!tchin.

Were you ever able to find out its history? IIRC, I recommend contacting Bird's Surf Shed in San Diego. I can guarantee that they can give you lots of info on that board.

18. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Anytime dude, I got the 9" for my 9' HPLB and I love it btw

19. goatsucker

goatsucker Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Hey Lost, picked up this board a few years back on impulse as it was soo damn pretty. Got a 7ft single fin, really really fun board. Like it in clean surf, trims like a champ & you can still fling it around.
    Will say however in really heaving surf it can whoop you on the paddle out with all that volume.
    Took a minute to quit pearling it when the waves were real steep & quick, but is a beast when you get in.
    Also careful as it has the old school resin leash loop, and mine ripped out in some pretty minor waves. Think I'll add a leash plug this time around.

Austin up in Va beach makes a board called the stubby I picked up in a 7'8 and has become a nice east coast go to. Chunky as what, but can hit the lip with no effort..

Good luck

20. Big Wet Monster

Feb 4, 2010
    Took the 7'10'' out a few times this past weekend. Wow. Game changer. Had so much fun sliding the glide. Kidrock, I think it is from about 1975 based on the logo and shape.

Surf was about waist+ and punchy and had a blast taking this thing all the way to the beach every wave. Not a lot of turns but so much speed carried on this thing. I have ridden longboards before and this is similar but this was better dropping into punchier surf. I took one left (backside) I couldn't believe I stuck and almost got a little shack. on a widenosed longboard, I would have gotten hung up. I encourage all to grab a mid-length. One issue I had was I lost it into the rocks one wave (KOOOK). I have to do some ding repair but it's not as bad as it would have been if it was built more recently/with thinner glass... they don't build then like they used to (thing is rock solid).