CR trip

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by Mattnjsurf, Apr 9, 2015.

1. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    What he said. Also Manzaillo, NW of there is sweet. But the bottom is scary.
    My buddy Fredi.

1616248461_e7adb800e7_o.jpg

1617138910_87695ff070_o.jpg

Attached Files:

2. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    I loved Dominical. If the San Clemente is still there, tell the owner that the guy who fixed his ice machine for a meal says is an ungrateful carajito peru muy feo.

3. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Mad Mike is a bad hombre. Meaner than his hot sauce. Once he got robbed and chased the perps with his Mac-10 or AK-7 or both over the bridge and shot them up before the policia could intervene. He hasn't had any "problems" since then. Never seen so many broken boards in my life in one place, he must have 100s hanging from his ceiling.

4. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Just stay out of Jaco... Specially at night...

5. chicharronne

Jun 22, 2006
    Spicy Mikes sauce is a colon scorcher for sure.

6. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    haven't been to tamarindo in a while, but it was way too sleazy for my taste. A lot of drug mules running through that place and full of crackheads and thieves. I've literally found used, uncapped syringes in the sand.

If that scene is for you, the waves are good at the reef and the rivermouth in town, but they get extremely crowded. You can walk a few miles north to playa grande...but that usually just as crowded. The other thing is all of these spots are ultra tide dependent...like, half the day, you wouldn't even know they were a surf spot.

I've been to CR in both july and winter. July is not nearly as clean as winter...you will get surfable waves, but chances of getting offshore winds are low. It also rains torrentially in july (water will be relatively murky and mud is everywhere)...it's just not particularly pleasant.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  7. HaydukeLives!

HaydukeLives! Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Everything your mentioned about tamarindo here is spot on, the only difference would probably be the amount of international influence going around. There are more Italian restaurants than Tico.

Word of advice would be exchange your money to the colones, they take usd everywhere but round up and over charge you.

8. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    peru esta bien hermosa.
    bien exotico.

9. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Also, I don't think it rains as much up near Grande /Tamarindo as it does in the Southern Zone. I was there for a couple months 2 summers ago and it never stopped raining in Dominical but rained for less than an hour a day when we were in Grande and Avellanas. Some days it never rained.

10. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I agree the nicoya peninsula is somewhat dryer...but I think you just got lucky. It rained every day, for most of the day when I was in tamarindo during summer (or maybe I just got unlucky).