9" Greenough 4A = 8"?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Big Wet Monster, May 8, 2015.

1. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Was just about to click the purchase button but needed to consult the experts here. About to buy a Greenough 4A flex from true ames but need the right size.

I understand that for every foot of board, you need about an inch of fin (9' board =9" fin). But does this stand true with a greenough 4a? They seem to have less surface area and didn;t know if I should get a 9" for my 8' board or go with the 8" fin.

GRassy a$$

2. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    if you ask her nine is better than eight

o

3. rvb

rvb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    this may help or confuse you, but i run a 8" 4A on a 9' log. i like it because its a big board, and i am not a big dude, so it helps me whip the log around. its a super light all around log. but i also have another 9"4 log that i run a 9.75" 4A. this log is old school, traditional, heavy. 2 very different logs...

with that said, i would say go with the 8".

4. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    If you're talking singlefin, I would stick with the rule of one inch for every foot of board. But, you need to be mindful of surface area of fin, rake, etc. If you're under-finned, you will slip slide on a longboard. You need the perfect blend of hold, drive, and drag. If your fin is too stubby, you actually won't be able to pivot well, so keep that in-mind. Keeping things loose does not mean keeping things controlled. Watch Dewey Weber surf back in the day. He was riding beastly longboards with giant hatchet fins. He was able to crank nice turns because A) he was a beast of an athlete and B) his setup was perfect. The Weber Performer turns on a dime and pivots nicely when surfed correctly. I hope this helps you a little bit...Fins are expensive as f**k and I wouldn't want anyone to waste coin on one that doesn't do the job.

5. heyzeus

heyzeus Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2014

My main ride is a 6'8" egg with a 7 " Greenough shoved all the way up in the box. It's great but any longer would be too long. But then, I'm pretty light and I like my boards pretty loosey goosey. I follow the inch of fin for every inch of board rule, and round up or down when necessary depending on fin shape/area. Too many guys over fin their boards, but that's just my opinion.

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah, as a single go with an 8"

7. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks for all the feedback... Ive been a bit busy to respond but wanted to share what someone from true ames sent me over the weekend...

FYI i am 195lbs 6'

If it is a single fin I would for sure go with the 9” for that guy. Depending on your size and weight you could even go with a 9.75” (like I would for myself, but I’m 6’3” and 220). The volan is going to work great for your board though, you should have a good time with it.

Seems like you can go a bit bigger than the rule of thumb depending on your size.

8. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    For sure, your weight makes a difference. It's all a matter of what you want the ride to feel like. IMO that might make turns more stiff but if it works for YOU that's all that matters.