WTF is this called

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by LazyE, May 12, 2015.

1. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I saw a guy shredding a 5'2" up at the Jupiter Inlet the last big wind choppe day we had. It was a four fin, and he was a pretty big guy, maybe 6'2" 195 lbs, and he said it was about 40 liters, and was fun as hell. He called it a mini simms. He told me he begged a lifeguard I happen to know for two years to make him one, so now I'm getting ready to start begging.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    There is a middle aged guy that rips on a BB stand up that I've seen at the washout and the pier. Blue too. Maybe that was him.

My advice: ask the guy what he's riding. Most people take that as a compliment.

3. garbanzobean

garbanzobean Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    That Seaglass thing is not a mini sims, don't think it has any fins or boxes- a foam and fiberglass alaia that's freakin' hard to ride well. 5 (little) fins on a mini sims might be a good idea, they sure feel slippery enough to warrant a little more keel. I know that it sure feels like half the board is out of the water on hard(ish) turns & steep(er) sections, most apparent when you get one into high gear and you are not used to it. Soft glassy waves are crazy fun on a MS, sloppy chunky stuff is a handful but do-able. Back hand bottom turns require some finesse (setting a rail on the heels). A second or third stick, a shortboarders log for those really soft days. I always keep one (5'8" x 22" x 2.8" currently) waxed up and ready to play because its day comes now and then.

4. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Yeh I keep meaning too.....oh, there's a wave I'll do it later....
    Thanks for the info

5. El Stupido

El Stupido Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Mine has 5 fin boxes, however I ride it with twin keels and a middle finger in the center box. Works great so far, take the middle out for even looser feel on a smallish day. I would not order one with 5 but it does allow you to mess around with fins and setups. Bought it used on CL. I def recommend at least trying it. (the middle finger is a little nub center fin if you haven't seen one already)

6. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    I ride a 46" stand up.

sometimes i have to hang my heel off the back of the board to keep from pearling.

but it's fun, so I do it.

7. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Pretty sure it was a mini Simmons like rcarter's photo although this one looks interesting as well. There seems to be a lot of interest in this design right now with a lot of shapers experimenting with their own little tweeks.

8. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Dude Simmons are freaking awesome! I would try one out for sure if you can. I'm going to get my shaper to make one for me around 5'3" to 5'6" range.

9. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    46 standup? You da man is all I can say

10. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    I can across something I found interesting not quite a mini Simmons but simmonesque... The Bing speed square...

11. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    actually i think it might be 44".. and its a bodyboard shape, not no beater shape.

12. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    That's awesome man if u can stand on that u can stand on about anything I'd say.....I'm using a 54 for prone but unlike having extra foam under me... View attachment 15535

13. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    heres what I use, standup, prone, DK... it is in fact 46".

[​IMG]

14. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Ahh I looked at them just today on 662 site... I wondered about them float u well I guess paddling out?? That is the problem I run into with anything under 45.. I sink it paddling

15. ClemsonSurf

Dec 10, 2007
    Wtf frizz? Is this a boogie board thread or a surfing thread?

I'm gonna have to take another shower if this is a d!ck dragged thread.

16. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    The actual term is bodyboarding...and imo when you get into the height and shape of a mini Simmons what you do with the bird kinda morphs into basically your skill level....that said I'd challenge you any day to stand and ride the above board as hawk says he does.... Good luck on that one

17. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Clemson, weren't you making a mini simm or something like it?

18. ClemsonSurf

Dec 10, 2007
    Hey I'm just giving you a hard time... I'm allowed to do that right?

19. ClemsonSurf

Dec 10, 2007

That's really all I've made so far. This one is slightly more pulled in at the nose and tail and the rails are much more foiled than my previous attempts. Hoping to glass it tonight, temp and humidity should be ok.