opinions on localism

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Sandblasters, May 13, 2015.

1. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    An older surfer with a career wouldn't chance this.

2. NWSquid

NWSquid Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2013

I am a handsome guy, aren't I? And you're right, no one in the PNW can surf. We all suck for the most part and there's rarely any ride-able waves. The water is 45 F year round and literally *teeming* with great whites. The only spots that go off are full of meth-ridden, lumberjack-looking trolls that hunt elk and the occasional stray kook hipster longboarder when they aren't surfing or having relations with, what was it? llamas?
    Yeah. That's the PNW. Steer clear.

3. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I've been yelled at to get out of the water there (Domes), and threatened with a beating if I didnt. For dropping into a couple of set waves maybe 10 feet behind a local. Dont think savvy or agressive is gonna work for either of us in that situation. It is what it is.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  4. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    stinkeye?

5. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    I can't remember the last time I saw an actual beat down. Like the 80's or something. I remember Sebastian being kinda crazy at that time.

If yer getting the stinkeye flip her over.

6. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

I'm not really sorry.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  7. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    I do like #7

2 more

if you show up an burn the kids that are out there all winter, your gonna get told. stealing waves from children is asinine, yet I saw it alot in oc. mini mex was guilty a lot.

and if you show up day of the year trying to paddle battle bro peak, your gonna get told. sometimes you don't get to eat at the big boy table like thanksgiving. enjoy the scraps at the ironing board, there are plenty

agreed, guy is a tool

8. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    is this where the term locals only came from? i remember hearing it in High school ,always thought it was a brand name of something though

9. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Ahh, that doesn't scare me. I'm from New Jersey full of gun-toting African Americans selling dope and wet; crazy, trashy white people who buy the dope; and Chris Christie - America's toughest governor. People from Oregon would have a seizure on a NJ Transit bus. Hey, we got a rep for a reason. Though we do produce class acts like Joe Piscopo and Jon Bon Jovi once in awhile.

I have a few flannels so I'm cool with the lumberjacks.

You guys don't have any Rob Kelly's, though

Plus, we all know the sharks in Oregon are the ones who can't hang in Cullyfornia. No shark north of Pt Arena is worth his salt. That's common knowledge.

10. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I know you all have prob seen this, but it's funny

[video=youtube_share;FfJ_bb0Nw68]http://youtu.be/FfJ_bb0Nw68[/video]

11. NWSquid

Sep 11, 2013
    You'll get no argument from me on that; most of us Oregon transplants moved here for a reason. The native Oregonians just live in drizzle-drenched ignorant bliss.

12. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    And don't get me wrong, Squid, I'm just playing around here.

I actually have a PNW-thing. Some day....

I've even watched Portlandia.

13. NWSquid

Sep 11, 2013
    Oh I figured as much: you know it really is all unicorns and rainbows and craft beers up here.

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    That's a shame Mitchell, I can't say I have had the same experience. Surfed there many sessions over 4 different trips and never been called out or threatened by anybody. Maybe a stink eye or paddle battles, but that's about it.

I have had to get aggressive to prevent getting burnt over and over again, but once I established I wasn't getting burnt, most back off. IDK, maybe I have been lucky, or maybe I look like the Gringo to not be F'd with, but I doubt it, I'm not that tall, although I'm a little thick, but I will, I repeat, I will throw down if I have to, but I don't look for it.

I've always given respect and have made "friends" with several locals there, and some recognize my face now. But i'm sure if I roll the dice enough times, someone is going to be a d*ck and try me. For their sake they better be much larger than me, to the point where it's impossible for me to win, because if they are anywhere close in size it's going to be a dog f*ght, and guess what, the bigger they are the harder they fall, normally....

I'm not a tough guy, just ask Kahuna Kai, because he knows me, but he has seen me in action before, as I have him, and in a situation we neither looked for nor wanted to participate in, but ultimately was stuck dealing with. But that was like 7 years ago I think, and haven't been in any altercations since. Funny thing is, this was on a golf course, not the beach. HAHA F'ing drunk weekend warrior golfers think they're tough guys. Localism on a golf course? Is that a real thing? IDK

15. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Hey kook, we are going to play through and what are you going to do about it!

16. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    Now localism in golfing is great.

What, Kahuna Kai your lawyer for all your weed possession charges?

What do they do to you in Florida for Simple Possession?

20 years? They lock you up down there pretty easily in Florida, HUH? We're all aboot Probation up here....then drug court....then prison.

17. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    DSUP the locals at Domes and Spanish wall are all boogers with the exception of aboutz 5 SBer which are young kids

The OG locals at Domes and Spanish wall mostly hate the stand up gringos...I watched and shared laughs with them as they blocked the peak from everybody...even those gringo transplants who call them selves locals

Ah man and I wouldn't muscle with the boyz down there unless you never plan on surfing in PR
    You ever fight a Puerto Rican...they gotz pride...you fight one you fight their whole family

Ah Wildwood boardwalk memories

MISY will tell you differently of course cause you know he surfed 6ft Marias
    Ol' Patty

18. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    You're scaring me DP.

19. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    DP you should move to Overtown.

20. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014