opinions on localism

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Sandblasters, May 13, 2015.

1. Radderbsurfin

Radderbsurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I asked a surfer today if I could borrow his board to try some surfing. Even offered him a five spot. He said no. All I could think was, what a d!ck.

2. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Funny, Same thing in SD.

3. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Actually had a mother of a little fat marshmellow white kid ask if her son could use my board as I sat on the beach resting between sessions. The whole time she was asking the kid was trying to pick up my board while I was trying to slide it away from him, the mother said nothing to the kid. I said no, I never let anyone borrow my board. They looked at me like I was the biggest d!ck in the world, little mushy started crying and they walked away, beat it!

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  4. Ripcurrent

Ripcurrent Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2013
    you have to look in the right place

5. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Way to be a dI ck zippy. Lol

6. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    You shoulda told her, 'Unfortunately 'Mam, If I let your son use my board, I wouldn't be a very responsible adult. You see, sharks like the little fat ones most. Now get that little marshmallow out of my sight, I think I hear an ice cream truck in the distance."

7. Radderbsurfin

Jun 21, 2013
    I'm going to assume mom wasn't do-able.

8. CDsurf

CDsurf Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    interesting... CA seems like the legit place for localism to exist with the narrow take off zones and heavier situations.

9. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Lol, the mother was actually pretty decent considering the condition of the kid. Im not a kid person, love my own, like a few, pretty indifferent to all others. This kid was the size shape and color that immediately went into my "do not like" file. The mother could have been Jessica Alba and my dislike of little Timmy Tapioca would have forced me to tell them to go and git.

10. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
  11. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Keep going north. Hit Portland, keep driving... There are beaches with mile+ of rugged, pnw looking piney shores, peaks to yourself, no history of sharks to speak of, no people in the water...

I'm actually moving there this summer...

12. Radderbsurfin

Jun 21, 2013
    I woulda adopted the kid and made him my own on the spot. And he can have my board.
    Mmmmmm, Jessica alba

13. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    lolz I got my first feel up giving a "surf lesson " to my friends sister. I think I coulda scored if her brother wasn't on shore waiting to kick my butt. I had to stay out in the water for awhile to let my trunks loosen up.

14. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I go to lonely peaks up there often. But please allow me to be clear on your point about sharks. There are plenty of them up there, including GWs. I have several friends that work on the water from their boats and they see them regularly, however, further out where the seals are on small islands. The seals provide all the required calories to offset the colder waters.
    Best of luck on your move to Maine; it is a great place! I sincerely hope it is a blessing for you.

15. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Haha so that's where surf teachers hands are when they push newbies into a wave

16. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Actually, Trevolution got chased out of the lineup by a GW yesterday.

Just kidding. We got chased out of the local sandwich shop by a Great White Trash lady that was drunk and wouldn't stop hitting on us.

Off topic: Got to meet Trev over the last couple of days. To anybody who thought that this young man was humblebragging about his surf trips: you couldn't have possible gotten it more wrong. He is young, smart and humble as the summer day is long. I have met very few people with the surf stoke this guy has...he actually lives and works to SURF. He makes friends in and out of the water easily. And he is a very skilled surfer with a smooth, flowing style. I am looking forward to surfing with him while he helps our community this summer.

OK, back on topic...

Localism sucks, but sometimes is a necessary evil. REAL locals, who live within walking distance of the break, sometimes need to regulate. Regulating is not stinkeye or getting your budz to back you up when you bit off more than you can chew. Regulating is always having priority in the peak, letting blow-in's know when they've brought too large of a crew, schooling somebody when they've breached the etiquette protocol, and laying a smackdown on the wannabe Alpha males that disregard all the rules because they are looking for a fight.

There's "good" localism, and there's "bad" localism. If you're visiting a spot, know your role and don't be a d!ck.

17. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Depends on the newbie. She was fine and enjoying the lesson.

18. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
  19. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    giving surf lessons to girls is awesome.guys not so much.its not cool faceplanting a fat hairy arse unless that's ur style,I don't judge

20. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Localism is a necessary evil as stated before. A funny situation that developed out by me... and its not unique to me here either.... Been surfing my local spot my whole life. And now there are a couple 20 somethings that are local and bad vibe all the other locals. its pretty comical. don't bother me none, just making mention of it for the sake of its absurdity.