Move to CA... Reasons not to?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by rippinNtearin, May 18, 2015.

1. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Lol such a kook. I'm not trying to be funny, your just to Juvenal to come to the self realization that your a self absorbed d-bag. I don't like insulting peole bro I love people. I'm not a troll btw and I never get into arguments so fk off. I would love to meet you face to face. I would challenge you to a bench off and would destroy off the press. I don't know why your taking so much time out of your presious day to respond to me thanks. I mean because your so important .

2. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    You are a troll though.

3. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Pretty standard responses:
    1. Fun and worth it before kids.
    2. Too expensive and far away from family once you have kids.

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    you're 28...which means the window for doing stuff like moving across the country because the waves are better is closing fast. So if you're going to go, do it now. Or if not, make peace with not going. Don't put it off much longer though. A 28 year old who packs up and moves across the country without a strong economic incentive to do so is seen as adventurous, whereas a 32 year old doing the same exact thing is a borderline loser.

5. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I was lucky, dad was Coast Guard stationed at Point Loma, I would go to visit for like a month or two at a time. I personally loved going out there! I was 20, so I surfed, fished and ate. Not a bad lifstyle for a month or two!

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    That's how life should be! Not just a month or two!

7. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    Bro your the biggest troll on here. Lol you little transplant , go back to where u came from . I bet you think you own the line up but can even do a bottom turn. Ill surf with you any time and blow out of the water. Ill show you how real southerners do it. Quit representing a state you ain't from. If your fd up ill tell you that's not called troll its called life.

8. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    I'm free on Sunday.

9. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Because I know you don't believe that I've been abducted by the Biaviians.

Nah, I'm just joking, Kidrock. Don't take me too seriously on here, except when I'm serious.

Oh and by the way to whoever it was(sorry I forgot) there's Bloods and Crips in Monmouth County. Not like the west coast version, but they are there and they will attack. They very angry.

10. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This is edgy stuff...

I was just stocked they had sticky bumps in the shoppe on weds. I know Gaffer hates sticky bumps, but it's my personal favourite.

11. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    I work it will have to be another day you drive here.

12. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Dammit Bill, now you made me look up what a "Biaviian" is. I feel so much more enlightened now that I know what a Biaviian and a Riley Martin is. Ingenious.

One day I'm gonna fly out to Philly just to have a Jeopardy Bench-Off with you.

13. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    Buy one of my symbols, man. It will protect you. Rileymartin.com

Yeah, I like Jeopardy bench offs. Actually Alex Trabec was just on my radio station.

And besides that, I will show the most mediocre wave you have ever surfed. Totally. You be moving east in no time. Man, Sunday it was just phenomenal. 3-4' and a little bit of everything. You'll think you died and went to Huntington Beach or 56th St or something. Plus, you have to walk down a trail haunted by foxes. Hey have I seen a fox since Hurricane Sandy? I don't know.

Anytime you want to be a Jersey dignitary I'll hook you up. But you have to drive......

14. imharri

imharri Active Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I live in North Carolina but I have spent the last six weeks in Orange county for work so let me give you my perspective.

First off the surf is not as consistent as we on the East coast would all like to think. Granted it is a slight improvement but not worth the hype. I have surfed from Malibu up north down to PB in San Diego in my off time most days knee-waist high and some breaks being ankle high some a bit larger. If you want to sit in traffic for two to three hours you can find a wave but its not worth it so if the break near you is not working that day you are screwed. Orange county and San Diego probably has the most diverse consistent breaks. The parking areas and parks cost 15-20 dollars to park at. We had a few stand out days of head-high or better but checking the report at home there was better surf in NC the majority of the time. YES the breaks are super crowded with twice as many kooks in the water.

The water quality can be sketchy, got a Nasty rash and ear infection after surfing near San Clemente Pier...they closed the area two days later.

Taxes are extraordinarily high, cost of living is stupid expensive, Average 1 bed 800sqft apt costs 1500 a month and you are about 30-60 minutes from the beach, and if you want to buy something you better make some serious coin.

Gas is over 4 Bucks a gallon. Car insurance fuggitaboutit

All that being said the weather is great hence the drought, but if you are tired of winter it definitely should be on the short list. However if this drought does not ease up soon the situation could get interesting.

Most people are pretty laid back and I have not run into any localism except for a couple a young Great White Sharks (8-9 ft) that hang out near Sano. When they cruise the lineup everyone gives them space, they cleared the lineup real quick.

I really enjoyed my time off in SOCAL but I was living here on Corporate Welfare the last 6 weeks. With the stupid retards running the states on the east cost I have thought about relocating here permanently but I cannot maintain my standard of living in SOCAL due to the cost of living.

I enjoy uncrowded lineups and just popping up over the dune to get to the beach without 1000s of people scattered about.

15. kidrock

Aug 1, 2010
    ^^^this is the most accurate description on this tread.

16. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Tempted by regularly surfing long lined-up glassy peeling waves on the regular. But, I cannot manage crowds, I just can't. If my regular spot here in Fl ever got crowded, I'm screwed.

Also, once you finally move to California, is that when you start hating other transplants?

17. rippinNtearin

rippinNtearin Active Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Some solid late posters chiming in on this one. Thanks for the write up, imharri. Think you guys have me convinced to hold off selling my worldly possessions to make the pilgrimage just yet. I despise crowds and traffic, love free parking and dunes.

Gonna trash my old 4/3 and invest in a solid 5/4 setup to take advantage of EC winters more. Also gonna get on that credit card travel wards tip to have one less reason not to make a last minute trip to PR when it goes off next February like it did this year.

18. zrich

zrich Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Just to clarify one thing on the beach parking here. The state sells a beach pass for like $200/yr. It gets you onto most of the state beaches for free. Without it, you're stuck paying the $15 to park. Most of the beaches it doesn't cover have reasonably priced hourly parking ($1/hr).

As for your cost of living being high, it depends where you're living now. Being from NYC, taxes and rent were already high. We were able to move a mile from the beach to a bigger place for a slight uptick in rent. We'll see if it's sustainable out here.

19. kidrock

Aug 1, 2010
    One thing about CA that I forgot to mention: MEXICO.

For sure, those winter EC days with the 5/4 and minimal crowds is worth staying for.

But, those days when you take the 30 minute drive from SD to Baja Malibu (or any other spots north or south of Rosarito) and catch it with 4' perfect board snapping barrels with nobody else out? Priceless.

20. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    No it's not. My first post on here was all you need to know aboot Cullyfornia. Winchel's suck. And F Jack in the Box, too. Shakey's is awesome though. Or at least it used to be. I miss me some Shakey's.

And surf hounds: If you don't surf during the winter or are new, then stay east side until you become jaded. And it takes a while to get jaded on the east coast. We get waves. And it's better to be competent before you head out west hoping to score El Cap or Topanga.

East coast kooks are so much cooler than west coast kooks.

The east coast surf scene is so much better than anywhere. Ah, y'all doubt that, huh? We are actually the most down-to-earth surf population around.