but it cant happen on EC, right?

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI, May 19, 2015.

1. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
  2. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Crewsby on CBS, you really have a thing for Devo, huh?

Yeah, yeah "whip it" was cute.....

None of ya punkers would be anywhere without Zeppelin and Sabbath. Don't ever forget that.

Also, I axed punk rocker, Seldom Seen - Mohawk and all - aboot this, as Crewsby on CBS mentioned.....

What the hell is punk rock? Some of these surfy punk rock bands are kind of gay. Soft and slow.

And then I hear The Talking Heads referred to as Punk? Say what? It ain't hard and fast. The Talking Heads have been commercially popular since the 70's. Isn't that one of the requirements of punk that they are edgy, non-conformists who don't get airplay and stuff?

I don't know.

Hey, if claiming punk rock makes one with a 9-5, a wife, kids, a mortgage, etc feel edgy and rebellious well more power to them. I lost a California friend when I pointed out that he, aged 43, is married, has a job, a kid, and a mortgage and isn't the punk rock rebel he used to be. And now he won't talk to me anymore. And he has led a crazy existence in his past. I mean he was a real punk rocker. Roadie, homeless at times, dependent on The Punk Rock Movement(whatever that is).

Jeez, get a grip dude, we all have to come to that realization that as we get older we just ain't that cool anymore.

Like, those kids on the beach don't think anyone over 30 is cool, no matter how much we might think otherwise.

Kids, never grow old.

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    There's one heads tune I'm looking for that would answer that quaestion, can't recall it by name...but imho, their stuff is only slightly reminiscent of punk in the early three piece days...and maybe not so much for sound but due to structure/approach.

4. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Devo is new wave and a severely under rated band. Definitely an original. I think they do have some songs that could be called punk.

Can't remember first punk LP but was probably The Ramones,or The Clash. Neither one of these bands seems punk compared to a lot of others that came later though.

Zep wouldn't exist w/o the blues guys that influenced them. Just sayin'.

I like punk music but am not a punk. That's okay.

No one over 30 is cool and should not care if some one thinks they are. Grow the f*ck up.

Please tell me kids grow up and move out.

The oil company spokes woman assured us that drilling was safe although there have been no changes since the deep water horizon incident so I'm sure it's all good. <sarc>

5. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    There were two guys named Bob in the band.

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah you're right about the getting older thing, I definitely don't walk around wearing my Doc Martins and studded belt anymore, that was a teen thing. Grew out of that stuff after a while but I still enjoy the music and occasionally will attend a show and even get in the pit, but it aint like it used to be.

I think Zeppelin and Sabbath are wonderful, but pretty sure I'd be right here in the same place if they never existed, so I'd be just fine, but no doubt they are / were great musicians. Most punk bands aren't great musicians though, it's just good fun music to listen to.

Talking Heads are definitely NOT punk IMO.

And the thing about being cool? Nobody is cool. Most think they are... but they aren't. Me included. We're all f'ed up and weird in our own ways.

At 34 I have grown to enjoy almost every genre of music out except Country. One minute i'm listening to NOFX "I Heard They Suck Live" and the next minute I'm listening to Cypress Hill "Hits From the Bong"

Seldom, please don't ignore my question because Riley gave us the business, he's going to have to accept this bonding moment we just had. This is important information, it matters. Please don't let me down...

7. CBSCREWBY

Feb 21, 2012
    "What is this that this is?"

A riddle...

8. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Interesting notion regarding the use of electronics/synths in punk. Actually, keyboards were used very effectively by some early punks. The band Suicide was one of punk's (original era), darker bands. As a live act, they seemed like they'd prefer to suck your blood than take your money. Late at night in a dark place, this schitt will scare you.

This ahead-of-their-time act showed us that punk was more about attitude than a simple raw, guitar driven sound. Matin Rev's ghostly vocals combined with Alan Vega's dense hypnotic organ was as un-nerving as anything else in the punk canon. Check out Suicide's "Ghost Rider" set to Taxi Driver out takes. Seriously creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnCB-3jklfM

9. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Oh my bad homie, late on the draw here...my first punk album was actually that BR 80-85...it was a used copy that my buddy Dan gave me. For context, same dude that introduced me to the green and taught me how to skate...

BUT, my intro to BR came as I was watching one of those old 411 skate vids, and heard Automatic Man for the first time...game changer...

That was at aboot 14, prior to that, my pre-surf music was Jane's/Pearl Jam(just evenflow really)/beasties, etc...but fock, when I heard Automatic Man..

[video=youtube;o8Ax7WvEa8w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Ax7WvEa8w[/video]

10. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    In Gainesville FL in 1977, Zep and the Outlaws and Allman Bros and Pink Floyd were what we were listening to, and playing. I remember someone brought over an Iggy Pop lp, and we put it on the turntable, and after about 3 minutes we used it as a frisbee. Two years later though, I was heavy into Iggy and the Stooges, the Ramones, the DKs and the Sex Pistols. I was 19 and an angry punk rocker, living the dream.

I saw Devo in Gainesville in 79, and they were great, but we jumped up and down like the Pogo, there was no slam-dancing (that's what we called moshing back then), so it was definitely not punk. Just really cool new wave, like the B-52s.

11. CBSCREWBY

Feb 21, 2012
    That was an interesting genre of punk. Goth punk I guess. we used to call it music from the bat cave. Alien Sex Fiend, Specimen; Some of the people that were really into that stuff made me... uncomfortable

12. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Nice! Sounds like a good friend who introduced you to the finer things in life. Good for him / you. Man, those 411 vids were the best, still got about 5-6 of them locked away in a box somewhere along with a Cinema Beer-Te video I still have. Probably covered in 5 inches of dust, maybe i'll break em out for ole times... eh eh?

13. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
  14. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    If you can't mosh to it, it's not punk. If you're too old to get in the pit, sadly, you are no longer punk.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  15. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Well put. Haven't been in a pit in years, turned in my card. Last two times I got in the mix it was funny. One was at a Jesus Lizard show. I went in and took out half the pit like dominoes. As we were falling over some chump elbowed me in the face but it was f'ing weak. I laughed and told him if he's going to throw elbows don't be such a pu**y, you better try to knock me out.

The last time was at a Family Values tour. I was really really hammered. My wife was worried (as always) but one of my friends just gave me a shove and I took off. Big circle pit. Made like 5 laps and no one even touched me. I came out to my wife laughing. She said they all ran away from the crazy man. I retired from moshing after that.

Pits just aren't what they used to be. Nobody puts nails in their boots anymore.

16. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    And people think I was nuts because I sniffed dope......

I don't know, listening to live music and smashing and punching everyone in proximity sounds fairly barbaric and animalistic.

The same types should go to places like North Bridgeport, CT and yell "Crackers." I imagine a group of people might punch at yas there, too.

Oh and though it might seem I'm anti-punk, I am NOT.

The reason I keep joining the conversation is that it kind of floors me that EVERYONE on this site considers themselves punk rockers. EVERYBODY.

Now is this some thing resulting from the Momentum generation, surfy-bands that came out when some of you were just getting into surfing? And it was part of the "uniform?"

How could EVERY SINGLE one of youse guys like the same ten bands?

And no one likes Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath? Jeez.

Pump, I know you like Rush. Way to be different man. Ah, the memories of listening to Tom Sawyer on KMET as a wacky, adolescent, Ventura County resident. I spent my formative years in Jersey and Cullyfornia. Is that why I'm so messed-up?

17. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Wow. Really?? I find that is all very insecure of you.....not to mention extremely....lame?
    But hey, to each his own....

18. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    Hey Barry, you seem to always be negative towards others.

I hate to break this to you but New Hampshire people are fems. Yeah no one thinks New Hammy residents are cool like they do for New Jersey people. Oh, they might sass Jersey, but they all, deep down, fear and respect New Jersey

So show some respect to the bad-arse areas of the east coast and their residents.

And stop being so confrontational and be happy for your social security, bra.

19. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    O Barry...

20. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    Zep and Sabbath still rule. The whole reason I ever picked up the guitar was Jimmy Page.

And I don't consider myself punk rock. Or ever was.